newbie question......

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, just activited my account after lurking for 3 months.... so please be gentle.... although i'm used to the ruff and ready world of www.t595.net and www.ukbeg. com.... i also had an R100 RT for many years so am not a stranger to "tossers"

Now i've sold the buell, and the RT but will keep the Triumph.. (i love the Triple...) and i'm looking at buying an old cheap GS... i've seen two R1100's at £1800 and £1895 respectively one is a 96 model year and the other a 97 ... the later model also being a stolen recovered jobbie....

Here is the question for the clever ones...are there any main / significant differances between those years? or when i view shall i just go with the best condition?

both have high mileages.. 51k and 61k... although this does not bother me too much...

I'll be using the bike year round and will tour europe from time to time... the T955i is going to get some "special" treatment as i fancy doing a "cafe racer" job on it... so the GS will become the day to day hack...

Looking forward to some interaction... advice!

Not much difference between a 96 and 97 1100, the later models have had any problems that the 1100 suffered sorted out so either should be ok... mine is a 99 1100 :thumb

Tall, Fat, Ugly.... you'll fit well in here then :D

Welcome to the world of Wallowing Pigs.
Buy the 1100 on condition and service history rather than mileage.
These old lumps just run and run but check out here.
http://www.largiader.com/ for problems,servicing etc.
Not sure i would touch a stolen/recovered unless v.cheap.
Transmissions on pre 97s can be a problem.Shows up as 3rd gear "jumping" or "slipping".Also check for clutch problems (has it been changed at all?),any rear wheel play?.
Well worth fitting Touratech "Hard Parts" to gearbox to stop casing damage in a spill and get as much bling as you can.Luggage etc.
They all make a few odd noises though and can take a while to get into them.
Went from a Triumph Sprint to my 1150 7 years and 60000 miles ago.
Never regretted it,but i did aquire a Daytona T595 18 months ago as i love the howl of the Triple.So i'm another one on T595.net:beerjug:

Hi, just activited my account after lurking for 3 months.... so please be gentle.... although i'm used to the ruff and ready world of

Corporate Finance? :D

Greetings noob I hope you enjoy your stay with us! :thumb2

It’s been ok... apart from the odd twat.

Back
Top Bottom