Italia 08 - General Postings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulbde

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This thread is for posting of general communications, questions etc which are not specifc to other threads within the Italia 08 section.

We'll need vignettes before Basel since after the border the road goes directly onto the Swiss motorway system. You can buy them at the border and they will take Euros (but not GBP AFAIK). There is a £3.50 supplement for buying them on the web.

Since I will be at the border before you lot, I can buy them in advance for those who want - save a lot of messing about with change and credit cards.

Another tip for a smooth passage - Swiss plod take a dim view of noisy bikes, so if you've got an Akropovic, best keep it down ;-)

HiVis

Hi Gents, I noticed on the Getgeared site they say that Bikers have to wear HiVis Waistcoats on Italian Motorways, does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers Ken.

Reflective Vests

Or however it is spelt.
It is not compulsury to wear them but cars are supposed to carry them. I presume for in the event of a breakdown. I guess it would be recommended to carry oney but as a lot of motorcycle suits have reflective built into them then I don't think it is an issue. It is like most things. If you get pulled and they want to nail you they will find something even it is wearing size 10 boots on size 9 feet. But in reality politeness and not the traditional English way of speaking to foreigners (loud and slowly) will help and they will waggle a well groomed finger at you and tell you to sod off..... Hopefully.
Alternativelly you can do what a friend of mine did when stopped for speeding. Cry. Mind you she was blonde and looked like the fallen madonna with the biga boobies. So she used it to good advantage. Perhaps not an ideal solution for a bloke..........?:rolleyes:

Or however it is spelt.
It is not compulsury to wear them but cars are supposed to carry them. I presume for in the event of a breakdown. I guess it would be recommended to carry oney but as a lot of motorcycle suits have reflective built into them then I don't think it is an issue.

I've got 2 spare if anyone wants one on the day.
XL, fit my bod OK over my jacket.
I picked up a few from work when our new factory was being built. Not ideal for bikes 'cos they're just lightweight cotton, sleeveless, with a single velcro fastening. Should be OK for warm weather riding though.
If you want one, remind me before we go & I'll pack them.

I've got 2 spare if anyone wants one on the day.
XL, fit my bod OK over my jacket.
I picked up a few from work when our new factory was being built. Not ideal for bikes 'cos they're just lightweight cotton, sleeveless, with a single velcro fastening. Should be OK for warm weather riding though.
If you want one, remind me before we go & I'll pack them.

Hi Panzer.
It would be great if i could first dibs one of those please:thumb2 - obviously for a pint in Italy:beer:
You're a handy bloke to know - the earplugs worked a treat after the last meeting:thumb
If anyone else is in greater need, no probs, i'll do my best to source another.
ATB
Stevo:beerjug:

For the past 4 or 5 years I've been chatting to a guy on another forum from Italy. I told him I'd be passing his gaff this year & I posted our route to him.

He said & I quote.. 'avoid the E45 like the plague. It's one the worst paved, most dangerous roads in Italy and it's also full of speed cameras & as usual I am available for tip-top tips!'.

I see we do actually use the E45 on our way from Rome to Rimini for 46 miles.
Be warned, be carefull.

He lives in Cellatica which is slap bang in the middle of our route (between Milan & Venice.)
If anyone wants to ask him any questions regarding the area, feel free & I'll fwd it to him.
If there's enough interest I'm sure he'll pop over & post here himself.

A Thought

Oh Look it's the 14th..

of May....only 4 more weeks.

Travel Insurance

Hi Gents, Does anybody know of a company that does single trip insurance for the Italia 2008 trip,with the GS as the only form of transport.

Cheers Ken. :thumb2

insurance

Just got my travel insurance for Italy. £51.00 for my wife and I from Carole Nash. Used them before always quick service documents arived the next day.

When I have looked into travel insurance before I have found that a yearly policy is just slightly more expensive than a single trip policy.
Navman

I've lived in Italy a couple of times - including the last year & NEVER seen a biker with a hi-viz vest. If I do, I'll know it's one of you guys. I'll be overseas at work when you're in-country, otherwise I'd see about meeting up.
My nearest off was on a roundabout - I foolishly assumed I had right of way as I was on the roundabout. The car driver was obviously a local, and knew the road before the roundabout was built - giving him priority over any newcomers - that's how driving/riding is here - no point in arguing with it. The further south you get, the less predictable it is.
Caeful on zebra crossings - if you stop, expect to get rear-ended or overtaken.

Watch out for scooters - they get everywhere & only see you as another obstacle - legal from age 14. The standard lessons include discussion on why the pavement should not be used for overtaking, hazards of smoking while riding & why riders really should stop after making contact with another vehicle.

Generally just be more aware - it really isn't that unusual to see people going the wrong way in one-way streets - sometimes on the back wheel.

Blue lights on police, Carabinieri etc. means the vehicle is occupied - they'll let you know if they need you to pull over.

Let me know if I can help.

Just come back from a tour of Italy - found some absolutely fantastic roads. Hope you have a good time :thumb2

Just come back from a tour of Italy - found some absolutely fantastic roads. Hope you have a good time :thumb2

Where did you go? Got any photos?

I've been watching the Giro Italia & Moto GP on Eurosport, did you get caught in any of the recent bad weather?

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom