Whats this noise?

CliveS

Reaction score
Hi all

I picked up my new bike a few weeks ago and LOVE it, so does my wife. It dances along the road and will do anything you ask it it and then wants more.

Now the question:
There is a noise from the front of the engine, around the alternator cover. It is a whine/whistle at around 2000 to 2400 RPM and most noticeable on deceleration. It gets louder after a long run. It is not a wind noise so what is it? The dealer said he will look at it at the first service and I will make a warranty claim but I am curious, has anyone else had a similar problem??

2007 R1200GS and 655 Klm

Thanks all
CliveS

I have not had this problem, however.... How many miles have you done? Was it there from the day you rode off the forecourt, what mileage did it start at? If you still havent had your first 1000km (600mile) service, then fine let them look at it then, but if, as i expect from the distances to ride where you are, you have passed that, i wouldnt wait until the first full service (6000 mile) in case it is a sign of something deteriorating. Get it into the dealers soonest, insist in a nice way they look at it. Thats what the warranty is for.

Edit: i only saw Oz in the location before i replid hence the distance comment.

Last edited:
Noises on decelleration are normally associated with the cam chain tensioner.

...............earplugs will solve the problem though :D

If its a continuous noise I am not sure but if it comes and goes and is a 'whoosh whoosh' noise it could be the V belt on the way out. Mine went prematurely at 16k, due to crap in there I think.

I am not sure how the belt would be too tight as when I replaced mine there seemed to be no adjustment on the 1200, whereas I believe there is on the 1150.

Edit just read you mileage, I doubt its the belt going then.

Mine had this noise after a service once. It lasted for months. Someone described it as some kind of woodwind instrument. Mine would quickly and randomly change between two pitchs. Some kind of freakish marching anthem. It eventually went away. I do think it was the alternator belt. I kind of miss it...

Mine had this noise after a service once. It lasted for months. Someone described it as some kind of woodwind instrument. Mine would quickly and randomly change between two pitchs. Some kind of freakish marching anthem. It eventually went away. I do think it was the alternator belt. I kind of miss it...

Get yourself an MP3 fitted then.......:augie

:thumb

:hide

Clive, get it back to your dealer. It's under warranty, they have mechanics that are free to you, use them. You will soon learn that our learned fellow GS's will give you every opinion under sun on a noise. Fine information it will be, but as the bike is under warranty you should not touch it anyway.

take it in.

Its going back to the dealer

Hi All
Yes, of course it going back to the dealer under warranty. It only got 700Klm on the clock.
I was just curious if anyone else has had the same problem as the dealer said he has never heard of this before.

Safe Riding
CliveS

I started my engine today with the air intake tube removed. It sounded really strange. It’s a wild card idea but maybe your air intake isn’t sitting as it should.

Back
Top Bottom