Oil sight glass replacement

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I read so much bollox on how to do this simple task.

The pictures were taken with the oil drained during a service. But you don't need to drain the oil to replace the sight glass, just lean the bike over to the right and lean it against something, or have some support it.

And another thing, the window isn't glass, it's plastic.

So here it is in pictures, and it'll take you longer to read this than to do the job.

Tools needed - old screw driver, hammer, seal puller or other hooked implement, 30mm socket and extention.

You want a 30mm socket because it's the same diameter as the sight glass.

New sight glass, front view.

Rear view.

Hit screwdriver into plastic face, not to hard, you just want to break it.

Hook the seal puller, or other hooked implement into the edge of the sight glass .

And lever out.

What you have when the sight glass is removed.

Carefully insert the new unit with your fingers just so it stays in place, then use the 30mm socket as a drift, tap the socket extention with the hammer to fully locate the new glass

Job done in two minutes if your slow.

Nice one Steppers. :thumb

Still, don't you reckon the surfaces should be cleaned before you enter the new one, or it just pops out at some time coz of you left the surfaces oily? Or it's "Elementary, Watson, elementary..." thingy? :mmmm

Also what do you reckon should a RTW or long distance traveller carry a spare glass with him or not needed?

:beerjug:

i was just going to ask how to do the replacement but the forum wins again :thumb
cheers george

What they for anyway?
Every time I try to look through mine the view is obscured by oil.

this is the type of post that really deserves to be in the 'font of all knowledge' section.

just a thought

Are they prone to failure then:nenau

Not sure, mine is going to be replaced this week, as I noticd it is "pushing out" from the housing, maybe the seal hardens? I tapped it back and put some silon around it just for safety till I replace it.

Welsh

Changed this on my 1150 today

coz I had left it ticking over too long and the oil sight glass obscured(melted)

let it cool down and changed the oil and filter,seems to be fine now though.

Changed this on my 1150 today

coz I had left it ticking over too long and the oil sight glass obscured(melted)

let it cool down and changed the oil and filter,seems to be fine now though.

That was rather silly now.

So now we know how...
Where do you buy the oil sight GLASS replacement?
I assume BMW sells the plastic version, but GLASS is from Touratech or elsewhere?
I have had no issues yet but want to buy a glass spare...just in case!

So now we know how...
Where do you buy the oil sight GLASS replacement?
I assume BMW sells the plastic version, but GLASS is from Touratech or elsewhere?
I have had no issues yet but want to buy a glass spare...just in case!

Try your local glazier .

:rolleyes:

Its the name of the component,oil sight glass.

not cheap either ..........must be double glazed

Back
Top Bottom