R1200GSA Additional rear light/s

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just fitted a full Les Wassall HiD kit on my 12 a work collegue pointed out after passing him in traffic how insignificant my rear light looked in comparison with the veritable daylight coming from the front. So a plan was hatched.........................

A second rear light fitted to a Wunderlich rear number plate extender and an auxillary light fitted to each pannier.

I took a switched feed from the back of the auxilary socket under the seat up to a relay under the pillion seat plate and fed all three lights from there. the panniers have waterproof quick lock plugs and are a piece of cake to plug in and unplug.

I couldn't be happier with the result!

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,835
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,835
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,833
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,822
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,831
I particularly like the auxiliary lights on the panniers. I found that in Casablanca and other large Moroccan towns the petite taxi drivers are fond of 'lane sharing' and just don't notice the width of the panniers.

Got the insperation so. Just fitted these to the panniers. Easy once you commit to drilling holes in your panniers :eek:

Took the feed from the headlight dip beam (yellow wire) so go on/off with the ignition. LEDs so low current and no probs with canbus. Difficult to see the brightness but the same as the tail light. Look neat when off. Overall very pleased.
Now had a practice on mine got to do it all again on Sues….

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • Pannier connection.jpg
    Pannier connection.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • ligts on.jpg
    ligts on.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • pannier connect 1.jpg
    pannier connect 1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,283
  • In pannier.jpg
    In pannier.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,283
You could avoid drilling the case with some self adhesive LED repeater lights. Find some that dont have a boss on the back intended to through a car's wing or do some surgery on the boss and seal with electronics grade silicone. Then run the wire along the edge of the case trim with some exterior grade double sided tape.

I have found these connectors to be very tough. They have far more power capacity than needed but they wont fall apart

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...sacat=0&_odkw=givi+af+330&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Better picture of the lights on panniers, as requested. As they do stick into panniers slightly, about20/25mm, made some stainless covers to protect the ends.
Just got to get something to line the panniers with so dont get black alloy rubbings all over stuff but quite pleased with the results and although not to bright during day lights very visable/bright at night.

Attachments

• Lights on 1.jpg
    Lights on 1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Pannier light cover.jpg
    Pannier light cover.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,055
  • pannier light cover 2.jpg
    pannier light cover 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Finally finished the lights and made it all tidy. Used some van lining material to line the panniers, no more helmet rattling round or dirty marks on bags etc. We went out on the bikes for the day yesterday and late back so got a good Idea what they are like. Lights are similar in brightness to original so really visible without being too much. Quick release connector’s waterproof and easy to use. Overall very pleased with the end result.

Attachments

• Lining 1.jpg
    Lining 1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 960
  • Lining 2.jpg
    Lining 2.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 962
  • lining 3.jpg
    lining 3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 966
Finally finished the lights and made it all tidy. Used some van lining material to line the panniers, no more helmet rattling round or dirty marks on bags etc. We went out on the bikes for the day yesterday and late back so got a good Idea what they are like. Lights are similar in brightness to original so really visible without being too much. Quick release connector’s waterproof and easy to use. Overall very pleased with the end result.

Nice Job!

Ted, I just need to point out that your index plate is not legal like that, you are asking for trouble from the police if you are riding around with it like that! ;)

Ted, I just need to point out that your index plate is not legal like that, you are asking for trouble from the police if you are riding around with it like that! ;)

A sense of humour... whatever next! :clap

It a special one, top secret, only goes like that when a camera flash is detected. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom