Italia 08 GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorted:thumb

I was having all sorts of issues trying to get this loaded.

I am using - Zumo550, City Navigator Europe NT V9, Windows 2000.

First off i had the dreaded 'The file cannot be read because it uses a subsequent file version.':eek

Then when updating through the software, the Zip didn't work:spitfire

Then on DV8's advice, I tried the update download from the garmin site.

All now works quite well - thanks for all your help.

Just a quick question though - how big will my SD card need to be to take the full route - Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now:beerjug:

Stevo

Sorry for the delay, have been in france:D
Mine works, Zumo 550, and all the latests updates and maps.

Ta.

Just a quick question though - how big will my SD card need to be to take the full route - Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now:beerjug:

Stevo

Stevo, a 2 gig card does all of Europe on my 2610... if you get a card that size just load all the maps on and you won't have to worry about it again :thumb

Thanks Bryn:thumb

2 gb card purchased - just need to spend somer time uploading everything now.

Cheers:beerjug:

Stevo

GPS Update

Gents, up until now all routing that I have done has been created using Mapsource 9 - std version.

I chased up my 2008 disc today ( which will be with me by Friday) and whist talking to the bods, have been infored as follows:

"routes made using mapsource 2008, can be transfered and read by any device using 2008 regardless of if it is an NT version or not. In addition, files can be saved on back compatible versions i.e. V5 etc and again can be read by NT & non NT"

What this means, is that once my software is updated, compatability issues should be over. To test that I will post a new set of files made to test by all.

Regards

Paul

All praise to Garmin, the 2008 update disc arrived today! Having installed said item, I will have a play at the weekend and post a text route and waypoints. PL

Last edited:
My update DVD for City Navigator Europe 2008 arrived this morning.
I paid my money & got the unlock code.

I have 2 StreetPilots, both registered in 'My Garmin'.

I loaded the updated mapping to my PC no problem.

I transfered updated mapping to my data card no problem.

My main unit can read the updated card & read my other card loaded with v6 mapping no problem.

BUT, I can't get my 2nd unit to read the 2008 mapping. Any ideas?

The info I got this morning from Garmin states I can share mapping data with another device & can unlock one additional device.

Anybody suggest how I go about this? :eek

as of 2008 it's different... they stopped giving away the 2nd free unlock code... look into it a bit more... I have email from Garmin confirming this.

Al...

City Navigator Europe 2008

If anyone's interested in updating their Garmin mapping to City Navigator Europe 2008, here's some info.

I'm running an old StreetPilot 3.
I updated over the weekend from v6 (purchased in 2004) so I can already see a bit of updated mapping. My job sometimes has me working in Toulouse in the new Airbus A380 factory on the outskirts of Blagnac airport & the difference between my 2004 & 2008 mapping is, as you'd expect, quite extensive in this newly built area.

A nice update is the inclusion of ATM cash points.

Anyway, the cost!
Garmin quoted $88.12 & I got my credit card statement on-line today & it's a nice round £46

Garmin sent me another update DVD this morning so if anybody wants it I can post it to them. May be quicker than asking Garmin for a copy 'cos you'll get it from me within days of asking.
It's unopened but you'll have to buy your own unlock code.
It updates StreetPilot 2620/2660 & previous versions of City Select & City Navigator.

No charge, I'll post to anyone who's on the trip & wants the update software.

Now with full detailed coverage for Norway, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary & Slovenia.
..more addresses for Belgium included.

Mapsource test time

Guys, please find attached 2 mapsource sample routes - both the same, but saved in 2 diffrent mapsource formats.

Please will you try these not only on your desktop / laptop, but also your GPS to ensure compatability.

The version 2008, should be ok for all newer devices (including NT), whilst the second version sould be ok for anyone not using mapsource 8 or higher.

Please post your results

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• test route v2008.gdb
    3.7 KB · Views: 162
  • test route older v.gdb
    3.7 KB · Views: 150
mapsource 2008 (non NT) Update DVD's

Gents, I have a spare 2 of the above and will bring them with me to the meeting.

You will need to buy the unlock codes, but at least you can get the dvd.

let me know if anyone wants them

Paul

If anyone's interested in updating their Garmin mapping to City Navigator Europe 2008, here's some info.

I'm running an old StreetPilot 3.
I updated over the weekend from v6 (purchased in 2004) so I can already see a bit of updated mapping. My job sometimes has me working in Toulouse in the new Airbus A380 factory on the outskirts of Blagnac airport & the difference between my 2004 & 2008 mapping is, as you'd expect, quite extensive in this newly built area.

A nice update is the inclusion of ATM cash points.

Anyway, the cost!
Garmin quoted $88.12 & I got my credit card statement on-line today & it's a nice round £46

Garmin sent me another update DVD this morning so if anybody wants it I can post it to them. May be quicker than asking Garmin for a copy 'cos you'll get it from me within days of asking.
It's unopened but you'll have to buy your own unlock code.
It updates StreetPilot 2620/2660 & previous versions of City Select & City Navigator.

No charge, I'll post to anyone who's on the trip & wants the update software.

Now with full detailed coverage for Norway, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary & Slovenia.
..more addresses for Belgium included.

Phil,
I have a street pilot as well so if nobody wants the disk I will have it to play with and see if I can get it to work

City Navigator Europe 2008

Phil,
I have a street pilot as well so if nobody wants the disk I will have it to play with and see if I can get it to work

I'll bring it with me on Sunday. The disc has (literally) got your name on it!

So long as you create an account at my.garmin.com & register your unit all you need to do is install the mapping from the disc onto your PC then unlock the new mapping data (i.e. pay Garmin $88.12 - £46)

Phil.

I T was never my strong point, unable to say if the routes work or not.

Following instructions but unable to get up on the screen as per instructions on the thread.
If anybody has any time one evening it maybe helpful to contact me see what i am doing wroung and help me through the problem before Sunday.
Thanks.

GPS Update

Gents, following my recent e-mail with the GPS routing, Phil has noticed that on one route we have an errant waypoint. I will correct this and issue a new file to replace the one sent out recently.

The new files will have V1 after the name to identify the correct file. Please delete and amend your GPS accordingly.

For those yet to receive the files, I have your updated e-mails and will send out new files by CoP Monday.

Please note, waypoint P2R4 is a rest stop. If you look in Google earth at the route, it will show that there is a beach and is we are on an island, it would be rude not to stop, anyway, if its HOT, then I think refreshments will be in order every few hours - if you know what I mean.

Also, Phil is using a Streetpilot 3 and has had a capacity issue for his storage card, which he has got round as below:

Also, after I loaded my StreetPilot3 with your file I got a message saying 'Waypoint files FULL'. Although I deleted all my previous files I still got this message when I tried again.

So, I went through your file & deleted some waypoints that weren't essential to the route & didn't effect the route in any way.
I've managed to get your file down to 33 waypoints from 51. (see attachment) It now loads fine.
Although there is no route along the Stelvio Pass it's quite clear which route to take so long as you don't turn off.

Guys, this is fine for the older series GPS's, but newer models will be confused and try to grow brains, only delete if you have no other choice.

Finally, there is a glitch in the 2008 software with regard to the Stevilo pass.

You will see in the routing, that we have a route that takes us from the camp site in Venice to Stevilo, and another route that starts after we exit the pass. This is because 200 will not route through the pass!

I have no idea why this is, as the pass is accessible from both sides?

If you are using Mapsource 9, its no problem - Have a look for yourselves and let me know if you have it any different to me.

Regards

Paul

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Finally managed to get the test route to work, next is the big one.
IT is no longer safe.:clap

He grabbed IT by the cursor and showed it whos the boss.
He loaded up the emailed route and now we wont get lost.
I only hope the route was right and puts us on the correct path.
But if you see me heading the opposite way, please dont.... laugh.
:type:blast:type:blast:type:clap:clap:clap

BMW Dealers

This may be of interest..
BMW dealers in the countries we're passing through.

I may pop a few dealers as waypoints around each overnight stop.

Attachments

• BMW France Dealers.gdb
    11.8 KB · Views: 152
  • BMWSwitzerland.gdb
    3.2 KB · Views: 134
  • BMWItaly.gdb
    10.7 KB · Views: 146
  • BMW Germany Dealers.gdb
    19.8 KB · Views: 145
  • BMW UK Dealers.gdb
    3.5 KB · Views: 140
Finally, there is a glitch in the 2008 software with regard to the Stevilo pass.

You will see in the routing, that we have a route that takes us from the camp site in Venice to Stevilo, and another route that starts after we exit the pass. This is because 200 will not route through the pass!
I have no idea why this is, as the pass is accessible from both sides?

If you are using Mapsource 9, its no problem - Have a look for yourselves and let me know if you have it any different to me.
Regards
Paul

Paul, have you unchecked the Seasonal Road Closures option?

Edit: Preferances: Routing. Good spot, that answres that one :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom