► Post pics of your F650/800GS

Thunder

Reaction score
HRH the Queen of Oonyakistan has something to smile about this morning, and it's not the fact King Oonyack has pissed off on another Royal visit :augie

5ad5769e.jpg

Guess who didn't sleep last night? :aidan

Health to ride her Tash:thumb

Bet ya cant wait to get out and put some miles on it :thumb

:augie

006ade70.jpg

I think we will be waiting for a day or so for a comment on this, the proud owner was last seen heading West vowing to be back on Monday for the first service.

Had a chance to start it up and blip the throttle, thought it had the Akra can fitted it was so snorty, turns out it was just the stock. :eek:

Lovely bit of kit (the bike I mean:aidan) :thumb

That's us back! Chuffed to bits, was surprised when I initially sat on the 800, as it's a fair bit higher than the 1150, but much lighter:thumb
Can't wait to get out on (him) - I haven't decided on names or owt!!
It was quite an emotional moment when they took it out of the show room - been thinking about it for so long and when it eventually appeared it was great!:bounce1

► Post pics of your F650/800GS (consolidated)

I am used to a bigger screen so it felt a bit windy:)

265310672_gifW7-L.jpg

GS 800

Don't worry I find the mirrors are fine and vibe free.

Handles real well, but so different to my 1200RT.

The 12 covered the miles well but almost boring it was so comfy.

The 'Bumblebee' puts a big smile on my face.

I can't put my finger on what I like most, but yeah the exhaust note, the seating position, the flickability are all good.

Erm, like the title says. Picked up my Bumblebee :ymca coloured 800GS this afternoon. The first ever new bike I've had, and the largest visa transaction of my life :thumb

It was the happiest 50 miles in pissing rain I've ever done. :bounce1

My thoughts, and bear in mind I've come from a 2000 Deauville;

• The exhaust note is far, far better than I imagined it would be.
  • At 5'10" I can flat foot, and the bike is so light its easy at stop lights.
  • Changing up the low gears I was almost taking flight - it doesn't need an extra handful like the deauville :mmmm
  • Such high & wide bars means a lot more arm movement on slow speed manouvres...will have to practice!:eek:
  • Weather protection to the head is better than the Deauville with a standard screen!
  • It knows where it wants to go on its own. Filtering is much less wibbly than the DV.
  • Mirrors on the bars are smaller than the DV, need to fiddle some more, my blindspot is huge or I can't see behind me
  • 60 mph in 6th gear is about 3.5k rpm.
  • Clutch is quite heavy I guess coz its new, but with a lot of usable travel
  • Gear box is smooth as butter with no effort required
  • Every other biker on the M25 spent at least a mile alongside me :D
  • I lurch a bit when trying to cancel the indicators...my thumb is too attached to my throttle hand - does this get easier?!? :eek::eek::eek:
  • Every time I think about the bike, I grin :D:D:D

My tour of Scotland in May seems so far away...Derbyshire over Easter will be fun then :D

I went on a posing spree at lunchtime...

I was distracted by the gasps from nearby office workers:
2333981542_f34430d3a8.jpg
2333982308_9d5ffb9da0.jpg

2333156577_d9c064afc7.jpg
2333156855_398502e050.jpg

I love my bike, I do;
2333155351_117e7e5a3c.jpg
2333984066_eaeb782c9f.jpg

The touratech colour-coded centre stand is a bit heavy duty:
2333981166_0fcd087c80.jpg

Off to get my latte now :ymca
2333983642_2e926917ca.jpg

Funny thing is, these pix make the bike look smaller than it feels...IYKWIM...

:clap

Here's a few of my bike, I got it on saturday, and spent the day around the scottish borders, taking it nice and easy, with a few easy lanes, and lots of B-roads. The pics were taken with my phone, so they're not great, sorry.
Image067-1.jpg

Image065-1.jpg

Image066-1.jpg

I was really impressed with the handling on the road, it corners brilliantly, and it's very comfortable. The engine doesn't feel as grunty as My TDM low down, although it is loosening up as I put a few miles on it, so I'll reserve judgement untill it's run in and I can use the full rev range. My only other complaint was the screen, I'm quite short, so the wind seemed to be directed straight at my neck, making it quite loud. I think a slightly smaller screen would work, but then a taller one might be good too. Does the F650 twin have a lower screen, will it fit the 800?

Image071.jpg

Does the F650 twin have a lower screen, will it fit the 800?

Yup, it'll fit.

BM are releasing a Touring screen, similar to the 12Adv with cross-brace, due out in about four weeks. c.£270 for all the bits.

Nippy Norman will be sorting out a screen in early April, but it may take a few weeks longer to get it into production.

It came today :D

Off to the Scottish Borders for Easter but using the Dakar :)

Forcast heavy snow and minus 8 degrees :eek:

:beerjug:

Attachments

• In the crate.jpg
    In the crate.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 12,424
  • Out of the crate.jpg
    Out of the crate.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 12,406
  • Engine bash plate.jpg
    Engine bash plate.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 12,275
  • PDI almost done.jpg
    PDI almost done.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 12,219
How'd you get a black bashplate you git?

Ah ha! It didn't come on the bike, so he's had it sprayed or powdercoated before the bike arrived :thumb

Micky,

is that the £147 bash plate ?- any good?

Since the gentleman in question doesn't seem to be about......

Yup, that's the BMW optional item. It's very easy to fit, gives plenty of access to the filter, has a oil drainage slot under the sump plug (although you'll need to remove the bung with a spanner), and gives very good coverage of the downpipes. I haven't used it in anger yet, but it certainly seems up to the job. Just don't expect it to make a huge difference to the amount of crud that you get on the front of the engine, because it doesn't.

:thumb

I'm listnin' .... :thumb Someone t'other week looked at the extra's available and said that £140 was ridiculous for a bit of alloy... he'd make one. Well I wouldn't like to make that engine bashguard for 140 quid and that's for sure!

I wouldn't dream of trying to change the oil/oil filter with it on... it takes only a minute to remove. Change the oil etc. with it on and you'll have oil everywhere. It's worth every penny in my book... cos I guess without it the paint will just part from those engine casings. Yup .... had it powder coated, very tough stuff, used on the oil rigs etc.

Saw your bike at Rainbow Chris looks good in magnesium and very purposeful with the TKC's :thumb

Gonna be making some light brackets up eventually for it, will keep y'all posted :thumb

The bike's under heavy guard by the way :bounce1

What i actually said was ,and i quote, "Welcome to the world of BMW prices! One piece of bent aluminium for an engine guard, that'll be £147 please sir. I thought CRD plates were expensive but......."

Never said i'd make one. Might not have been me you were refering to of course but that was the only comment on the bash plate in the acccesories thread that i saw.

It does look good Micky,especially in the black but the truth is that CRD and others have been making bash plates like that for years and they are excellent quality and cost 119 Euros which at the current rate is about £92. BMW prices.

I'll probably end up paying for the BMW one, hopefully with some discount,cos i don't want to wait for someone else to produce one but that doesn't mean £140 isn't way over the top for what it is.

just got in with the new steed, screen is kinda little compared to the 1150, but still nice bike.

piccy of old friend meeting new upstart!

Here is the fast one!:aidan

First off the tarmac excursion!!

very good so far over the ruts and whoops:)

Attachments

• f800.jpg
    f800.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11,568
  • P3232527.jpg
    P3232527.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10,848
  • P3302629.jpg
    P3302629.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11,873
New 650 twin - fabulous!

Oooooh I can't wait to see your review and pics (please please please) of it, rain, muck and all! Have fun with your new ride! :bounce1
Cheers
B

Hi Blackie. We collected the bike Friday but not quite as planned. We setoff 2 up on my husband's KTM 990 (which even he describes as having the profile of a 747 tail fin) in what felt like a gale force 10. We did 15 of the 60 miles before admitting defeat - it was a Bank Holiday and that particular road would normally have been full of bikes, we didn't see any! After an even dodgier return home we reverted to plan B and took the trailer. I've managed to get out on it each day since then and I have to tell you it's absolutely great!

It's such a good-looking bike and when we picked it up I have to tell you my first impression of the instrumentation was excellent - the look of it as well as what it does. Are you having the OBC? I'd thoroughly recommend it. :bounce1 When I first rode it I could feel at once it was a completely different animal to the single cylinder predecessor. It's SO responsive, it really is an excellent ride. It reminds me most of a Honda CBR600F I used to have but with the comfy, trailie position as opposed to the sports crouch:thumb2. My only difficulty, one which will go as I get used to it I'm sure, is the indicator cancel button. The indicators are either side with a straightforward press which is fine, but the cancel button is on the left and with a thick glove it's possible to grab a bit of throttle at the same time as cancelling which, on such a responsive bike, can come as a surprise. Anyway it is overall gorgeous :clap and you will definitely not be disappointed. Photos will follow but we've discovered it's not straightforward to put them up on this site as they have to be hosted by a URL - my husband's working on this.

April Fools

It finally arrived on April 1st.

Definitely faster in mag.....:D

Attachments

• F800GS Apr08 005.jpg
    F800GS Apr08 005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 5,276
BM0001.jpg

And thanks to Micky for the idea of powder coating the bash plate:

BM0003.jpg

Modified the front brake master cylinder reservoir today :eek:

I think the standard fitment looks hideous, and I've no doubt that BMW do it for a reason, but for the the life of me I can't work it out. Maybe it's so that it can get clobbered and not get knocked off... I doubt that. For years the GS's have had the brake master cylinder reservoir attached to the master cylinder itself... so that'll do nicely for me thank you :thumb

I think the BMW handguards are crap too ... sorry!

I'm off next weekend down to the Black Forest (Touratech) and then up to the Eifel's (Wunderlich) on a shopping spree, although Wunderlich have nothing available for the 800GS yet they are expecting the H & B engine bars sometime soon :thumb

If the Hepco & Becker engine bars for the 800GS are half as nice as those they make for the 800S then I'll be having a pair of those!

Micky

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

PS. Part number 32 72 7 666 151

Attachments

• Sorted.jpg
    Sorted.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5,113

Back
Top Bottom