Drilling 2 larger holes in brake disc

Bill-H

Di-di-dah-dit di-di-dah
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone done it? do you foresee any problems?

The holes in by brake discs (R65GS) are about 6mm each.

I was contemplating drilling 2 of them - opposite each other on the disc - out to 15 or 16 mm

Why?

All the insurance approved disc locks I've seen are 15mm shackle, and won't fit through my disc, only the cheap ones are small enough to fit, and I want a BIG feck-off one.

And no, I don't mean the bolt-holes before anyone asks.....

Personally speaking, I'd rather run the risk of my bike being stolen than run the risk of something going wrong with the brakes. I know which is the bigger risk for me.
There must be other options? Another suitable lock? Maybe even replacing the brakes for something better which means not only would you be able to fit your lock but you'd have better brakes as well?

15mm is big, i wouldnt do it,too near to edge,will it crack?(yamaha,s do) middle?(will it feck ur pads?)uggs was around 8mm to fit a disc lock, sayin that though, wavey discs stay together ok with a lot less metal,but they do feck your pads

if you do it carefully and fully deburr the hole it shouldn't be a problem.

i'd be thinking about 2 per disc diametrically opposed to keep the balance - but i guess you'd never feel it

if you do it carefully and fully deburr the hole it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree. You'll run the risk of radial cracks appearing in your discs. If you can 'radius' both sides of the drill hole, you'll lessen the chances of creating a stress point and, therefore, also reduce the chances of getting a crack.

Greg

I think I'd be treading very carefully - altering the disc in that fashion.

Why not chop a security chain to a shorter/lighter length and padlock the wheel to the forks? :nenau

Have a think............ when do you think it may become apparent that drilling larger holes might not have been a good idea? :blast

Al :thumb

Put a Bloody Big sheathed chain and a enclosed lock on it or one of those big U bolt things?

Do NOT drill the disc especially to 15 mm the temp differences of that much material missing form the disc has heating cooling calcs that are best left alone!

Even get 18 inches of really large link chanin and then use their security lock??

The bigger you drill the holes, the less metal around the shackle, so it'll be easier to brake the disc metal and ride off on your bike - So really makes no difference how big and strong the shackle, it's only as strong as the weakest point :D:D

I would not do it and I am a tight wad
I would look for another way of imobilizing yer bike
small length of chain and lock is better anyway
Some of those disc locks can be opened with the top off a biro - I was once told
HTHY
:thumb

I've thought about doing this myself on the R100Gs. I was about to buy one of those alamed disc locks such as Abus 8077 when I realised that there was no way to fit it without making a new hole in the disc or its carrier. I think the carrier is probably cast so best left alone. I did ponder removing one of the parts that allow the disk to float but think they still dont use a 15mm hole and in end I'm left undecided as to wether I'd just wait till replacing the disk and then do the larger disk upgrade which I think will allow such disk locks to be fitted, or get a less substantial alarmed disk lock such as the Oxford XA6 which has a 6mm pin which the disks holes wiill accomodate. My main motive for getting a disk lock was for the alarm just in case I have it parked outdoors when at a hotel or such, for the main security I rely on a shielded cable which I routinely use to lock it through back wheel and over seat with option to lock it to something solid if left for longer. I do have a habit of getting stuff "just in case" they are needed and know that until recently I never even thought of getting a disc lock so I might just try not thinking about it for a while and hopefully the urge will go away.

He ‘s still paying his subs! Probably bought a bike brakes:D

Did the OP do it in the end? Did he survive?

Bill did it.... but someone lifted up the bike and chucked it into the back of a van.

So poor Bill ended up sad losing both his bike and an expensive disc lock.

Don't end up sad like Bill.

Thank heavens Bill's all right, did they get away with the new bigger holes too?

Back
Top Bottom