source for trip odometer reset button rubber cover?

Solo Lobo

Reaction score
Well, as many GS and G/Ser's find, the rubber cover for my trip odometer button has torn and allows water into the speedo when it rains.

Over here in the US, we have no supplier a replacement rubber, with the exception of one speedo shop that charges $30US (plus postage) for the part!

Does anyone have a source for this part? I would be happy to buy a volume and pass the extras on to fellow US GS and G/Ser's in need.

Thanks for the help, and here is a shot of the button in question...

DSC04699.jpg

Brembo bleed nipple cover turned inside out, cost around £2

same problem here on my 91 gs, might do a temporary bodge with silicone as no water in speedo yet and don't imagine it will do it much good to have any get in there either.

TRied dealker yesterday, no joy on getting that part. Out with the tube of black silicon methinks.

Just a thought. What about a rubber waterproof cover for a toggle switch from somewhere like Maplin? :nenau

edit: Like the one posted above on the link I didn't look at before posting this. :blast

Got mine there too, cost $11.50 for button and $8.50 for the retainer with post to Ireland being another $6. I should have ordered another button while I was at it as I slightly tore the new one while fitting it and re-used the old retainer. Why couldn't have BMW made the whole job easierv by glueing that nut to the glass. New one nice and pliable unlike the hard cracked item it replaced.

Just did this job again on my latest old GS, what a pig of a thing, eyesight probably not getting any better which doesn't help when working indoors. Pull off old rubber, unscrew the old retainer a few turns, enough to get the new boot under the lip of the retainer. However now at this stage I have the retainers nut slackened a bit and I can't seem to repeat the trick I did last time around of somehow getting that nut to dig in a bit and hold still while I screw the retainer back on. I know if I persist anymore in trying to get that retainer to screw back on all the way that I'll end up tearing the rubber button in area between my fingers and the edge of the retainer. So now its black silicone between the buttons rubber and glass with a bit of tape over it to keepm it pressed in place while it sets, in fact I'd suggest that anyone else trying this just glue the new button on to the flat disk of the retainer and it'd be an easy one . If BMW had moulded a thread into the glass to take the retainers threads that would have been the ideal solution, no nut needed then.

Back
Top Bottom