Fuel pump controller workaround

Bob. Simplify the process.
Get a 2 core wire, bare both ends. Get someone to hold one end of the 2 core wire and attach to positive and negative at the battery. You get the other end , unplug the blue connector off the top of the fuel pump. Now touch the 2 wires to the 2 fuel pump connectors. If it primes or appears to be working, then the fault lies with the FPC. Simple, replace the fpc.
This explanation is a quick fault finding process. Hope this helps, or can someone explain better ?

Thats fine, I got it thanks. I haven't tried taking the FPC off as yet so didn't know how feasible (or sensible) it was to stick bare wires into the fuel pump...touch live wires to the wrong thing...electrical short...sparks...petrol tank...not a good combination!

I took the FPC off and found a pool of water and gunge in the recess underneath, covering the contacts for the fuel pump. Having cleaned and dried it the engine seems to be running OK now, better than it has for some time in fact, so fingers crossed the problem is resolved and all I need to replace is the seal under the FPC which has split.

I found out some interesting things in the process though which contradict what I have read in other threads/posts here. According to the technician at Rainbow Motorcycles in Rotherham, who were a very helpful bunch:
  • The live to the fuel pump is the yellow wire, not the blue one
  • There is no input to the FPC from the fuel gauge, so a broken fuel strip does not mean the FPC runs at 100% all the time.

Back
Top Bottom