► Alternative screen options

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
Alternative screen options

BMW has three screens, the tiny screen on the F650GS, the slightly larger screen on the F800GS (could be retrofitted to the F650GS) and the BMW High Touring screen (£233) which comprises the high screen plus an aluminium brace (pics below).

bmw-touring-windshield2.jpg
bmw-touring-windshield3.jpg

Givi available from Motorworks

Isotta might be the same as Wunderlich Ergo

Nippy Norman

Metal Mule apparently the same as Powerbronze
Available from Metal Mule at £80

Touratech might be the same as Hornig

Touratech screen extensions

Eagle

Cee Baileys http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/650gs_twin_ws.html

... to be continued

There's this just out from Givi too (333DT + D333KIT - Spoiler, with fitting kit.)

downloadfree.asp

No idea about price but would guess about £100

I see MotorWorks are advertising the Givi screen for £78 inc Vat. 22cm higher than the original 800GS one and 26 cm higher for the 650GS.

Anyone tried one yet?

Just received my Givi screen from Motorworks (Very Good Service). Fitting took about 5 mins. Will go out later for a test on the motorway.

Many thanks site sponsor Motorworks. I have a photo if you want to see it.

Edit: Just moved the bike and low and behold its like me old K1. The screen catches the brake and clutch leaver slightly on full lock. Disappointing.

Will have to investigate over the weekend.
EM

Fitted GIVI screen to my 650GS. It is well clear of brake, clutch and mirrors on full lock. Keeps the wind off the chest unlike the original but still noisy around helmet. A long way off being 'cocooned in a silent pocket of still air' but an improvement all right.

I ordered the Givi screen from Motoworks a week or so back, now expected middle of next week. After ordering it, however, I had second thoughts...

I'm using the F-GS in the Pyrenees in the HUMM moto-orienteering event in July. At slower speeds with more physical effort it's nice to increase the air flow and one of the advantages of the R-GS (1200GS etc) setup is that you can adjust the screen to lower it when riding offroad. But you can't adjust the screens on the F-GS bikes and I'm concerned I'll get too hot.

So maybe the TT add-on screen spoiler is the better solution as you can remove it when you want the increased air flow, however the F650GS standard screen is so low that the TT spoiler probably only brings it up to the level of the F800GS.

When the Givi screen arrives I'll see whether it's possible to mount both at the same time, this way I can carry both screens to Spain and dump the large screen at the hotel when we wizz off into the hills. If not, I guess I'll dump the screen anyway and do the event without any screen fitted. It's not as if the F650GS screen offers much protection! :)

Edit: the Givi screen still hadn't arrived by 27 Jun so I cancelled the order pending a review of the options available

Tim

:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1......just fitted BMW touring screen.....

IMG_0972.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Lots of reports on aftermarket screens but no piccies

.......enough piccies :thumb ???

Where did you get that from then? Rarer than hen's teeth apparently...

I think I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time :D

So what's it like then........well up to legal limits it's a vast improvement over that daft little plastic eyebrow the 650 comes with. Hardly any wind on the body but still a bit noisey (not much buffeting though) around the helmet.

Over legal limits......and I'm obviously just guessing here :augie....... there is still a bit of buffeting but it does make cruising at higher speeds so much much more bareable. Like HTWB said about the Givi screen...

A long way off being 'cocooned in a silent pocket of still air'

......these are screens on motorbikes after all, I doubt you'll ever cut out all of the wind......and do you really want to ?

All in all a great improvement, bit pricey.....but hey I'm sure I'll forget all about that in a week or so.

ps: just noticed this morning that the shape of the screen down the sides is like that to allow perfectly for the handlebars mirrors and even handguards when on full lock ........obvious really :beerjug:

:type......phew so many questions, I'll try my best to cover them all;

- I was in my dealers when they had one (just one) newly delivered for their demo bike.....they kindly let me buy it :D
- £233, that would be about right
- I'm about 5ft 9" :augie and I look over the screen
- I have the F800GS handguards (and now spoilers too :D), they're fine and I guess you'd be ok with the R1200GS ones too.

Hope that helps :beerjug:

Does the horizontal bar at the top of the screen mount have any space where a GPS mount may be able to fit?

Good question, I have thought about it but not yet had the chance to try anything.

However, the bar althought looking strong in itself is only mounted onto the plastic bodywork and therefore doesn't feel that solid to me, so I have doubts about putting the weight of my Zumo on it :eek:.

I might try mounting it to one side on this bar but failing that I think I'll stick with the handlebars.

This one arrived from Nippy's over the weekend. Have yet to fit it / try it out

linky for high wide screen
camera's broke so no pix of the screen on my bike but its now fitted and I took it for a wee try out this evening. Makes a huge difference - no buffeting. still quite noisy round the helmet but much improvement.

Only probs is I can't get full lock with the TT handguards on :nenau

Attachments

• WDE_F800GS_HWB.jpg
    WDE_F800GS_HWB.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 11,430
MarkSK,
I've got some questions for you:

How tall are you?
Are you looking over the windscreen or through the windscreen?

I've also got a few questions...

It involves a bit of guessing, but hey, that's easy. What do you *think*, would the new R1200GS hand guards touch the touring screen when in full lock? If they do, then I'll have to come up with something... (Apparently, the 1200GS hand guards do fit the new twins) Here's a pic that I made to help you help me. :)
Kasisuojus-innostelu.jpg

PS: My first post, so... Please let me know if I'm being an a$$. :)

PPS: Oh, and hello there, you lot! It's only polite to mention something about myself. First, at the moment I ride a K75 (doesn't feel natural - maybe has to do with the fact that I'm an identical twin :D). Second, the ownership of the bike is temporary, which means that the next season I'll be getting myself a red F650GS with all the necessary touring gear (for commuting, travelling and looking good :hug). Third, I love the series Life On Mars, but mainly because of Annie Cartwright and the fact that it's a Bowie song. Hmm, what else...

PPPS: Well, yes, it is a bit anal to plan a year ahead, but that's how I like to do things. Make up a plan and then ruminate for a long, long time... It kind of sorts out the bad ideas by itself. Recommended.

Metal Mule are in the process of getting an 800 screen into production. I tried a prototype yesterday and think it will make a good screen for folk wishing to reduce windblast - and presumably thereby improve weather protection. It is quite a tall screen and on my bike at pretty high speed, my chest and neck were well sheltered by the screen. It would definitely make long motorway hauls a lot easier than the stock screen.

The screen is lightly tinted and looks good on the bike. I have no info on price and don't know when it will actually be available for sale but I reckon it shouldn't be long.

Paul from MM had his prototype screen at the Horizons Meeting and I was able to try it on my bike. The screen fits the six existing mounting holes and doesn't need any other fixings. It follows a similar style as the OEM 800GS screen and will be priced at £79.95.

The screen is fairly narrow, presumably for handlebar clearance, so it doesn't remove as much wind blast from the chest as I would have liked. The problem, for me, was that it creates turbulance around the head and the helmet noise (BMW System V) was intolerable. I found if I crouched the noise was much reduced, so it could be that the screen will be good for a shorter rider (shorter trunk) using a low seat. Similarly, if I had been a lot taller or had the Airhawk saddle fitted it would have been better. The geometry of the seat/handlebars/screen positions is the same on both the F650 and F800 so I imagine the comments apply to both bikes.

The other problem is the screen flutters and as it's right in the line of sight it is really noticeable.

It's a shame as I'm desperate to get a taller screen, especially after riding back from Derbyshire in yesterday's rain. The short F650GS screen is practically useless and it means you need at least one, if not two, additional layers of clothing. So when you stop you're then too hot.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1847e.jpg
    IMG_1847e.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 11,401
  • IMG_1846e.jpg
    IMG_1846e.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11,366
  • IMG_1848e.jpg
    IMG_1848e.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11,001
I get extremely cold with the current 650 screen. Until I stop at the lights, then I'm hot. Then I accelerate away and I'm too cold again. High speed touring and motorways are unneccessarily hard on the body and neck muscles. So I need a taller screen.

I was so peed off with BMW's actions in sticking the ridiculous fly catcher on the 650GS that I was determined not to put any more money in the BMW corporate pocket. But time to get other options was running out before heading off to the Pyrenees.

And I was worried about the hassles of returning mail order goods if I was unhappy with the increased helmet blast. What I needed was to be able to 'try before you buy' and that's what happened. Fitting the screen isn't as staightforward as some of the alternatives and took me about 30 minutes.

The aluminium support frame probably helps reduce vibration and fluttering but there's not sufficient anchoring support to be able to mount a GPS on it.

It's a great improvement on the OEM screen (hard not to be) and could do with being at least another 100mm higher. I can now feel wind blast just on the top of my shoulders. Helmet blast is worse that before but manageable.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1861e.jpg
    IMG_1861e.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 13,938
  • IMG_1866e.jpg
    IMG_1866e.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10,982
  • IMG_1867e.jpg
    IMG_1867e.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 11,505
I got the TT extension for my F800GS and it makes a small amount of Difference. In the hot weather I'm glad some air is getting through. If I slump in my seat I get full protection but when I add the airhawk I'm back up into the air flow.

I will wait for the bigger touring screen to see what others think first.

i hate the screen on my 800GS, because it's crap. as someone once said, it basically protects the instrument panel and does little else. i'm over 6ft and wear an Arai Tour X, so when i'm doing a lifesaver on a motorway i almost loose my head, particularly if there's cross-winds. changing this is the biggest priority on my bike and i'm waiting for the right one. having seen the givi offering in garmisch, it looks goofy and i'm not ruining a splendid looking bike with that. i also saw the TT extension and it seems good for nothing. a tall, adjustable, tinted screen is the order of the day, so let me know if you come across one...

yeah, following Micky's q of Tim C on the BMW one, does it work. It looks like it's only a little bit bigger than the standard 800 one.

sij:

Not sure if this is new news or not, but check this thread:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16147

Skidmarx is making one that is about 19" tall, I think the stock F800 screen is only 12" ???

Jim

Thanks for this Jim. I have seen it, and it looks like the best offering thus far. The BMW one doesn't look that much bigger and since i sit very upright when i'm riding and am tall, i do need the height in the screen. i know that there are much better aftermarket options for the 1200 and that whilst the BM ones always look good, they're not always the best in terms of functionality.

How did we get into screen options in this thread?? :nenau

Anybody bought the Powerbronze taller screen? It's 20cm taller than the standard (800GS) one.
I've had one on order for 2 weeks now and still no sign. Must be a 650/800GS thing - you can see it in a picture, but you can't buy it.

I did order some "bling" from TT and it even arrived after a couple of weeks, all except the rear carrier. God knows when it'll arrive.

Powerbronze Screen

I have just been looking at the taller screen from powerbronze and I have to say at 79 quid it looks a bit of a bargain. Its also shaped nicely with a light tint so looks the business, but..........

It doesnt have the higher brace that the BMW one does, will it vibrate because of this and is it the same height as the BMW touring screen I wonder ?

Lets face it, its a 3rd of the cost of the BMW one so am sorely tempted. Budget is dictating at the minute that the BMW one is out of reach for now but the powerbronze one is gettable.

Anyone got anymore info on this particlular one ie own one ?

I have just been looking at the taller screen from powerbronze and I have to say at 79 quid it looks a bit of a bargain. Its also shaped nicely with a light tint so looks the business, but..........

It doesnt have the higher brace that the BMW one does, will it vibrate because of this and is it the same height as the BMW touring screen I wonder ?

Lets face it, its a 3rd of the cost of the BMW one so am sorely tempted. Budget is dictating at the minute that the BMW one is out of reach for now but the powerbronze one is gettable.

Anyone got anymore info on this particlular one ie own one ?

Looks like the same one I've ordered from Metal Mule - same price £79.
Awaiting delivery date........

Hi All. bought ther GIVI screen a while ago and recently came back from tour to Scotland ( 1350 Miles ). I am 1.82m tall and the screen is ok. Bought for £79 from www.motorworks.co.uk. Delivered next day. i will post picture on the weekend so you can have a look.

so has anyone got anything else to say about screens? fruitcake, where did you get to with your report on that one? i'm 6'1" and waiting to hear if there's anyone of a similar height who's tested their new screen.

so has anyone got anything else to say about screens? fruitcake, where did you get to with your report on that one? i'm 6'1" and waiting to hear if there's anyone of a similar height who's tested their new screen.
sorry - been out playing - totally love the new screen - it doesnt stop all the noise - my head is still slightly above (I'm 5'7") but it makes a huge difference to the buffeting - i feel much more confident at higher speeds and overtaking (bear in mind I'm not long out of bike nappies so need all the confidence i can muster). If i duck down behind it it's very quiet. It does wobble a bit at the top but feels v secure on the bike.

Main prob with it is that with my handguards i've lost full lock on the steering which i havent noticed being a pain whilst riding or turning (although I've yet to just play about with going round in as tight circles as poss) but I do notice it when pushing the bike about / trying to turn it into the garage / back it into a space etc.

hope that helps :thumb2

Metal Mule / Powerbronze Screen Review

given Micky's experience of the new BM 'touring-adventure' screen, i think i'll pass on it. this leaves me with the powerbronze or touratech high screen options. if anyone has received and fitted either of these i'd be grateful for reports before i put money down.

Just fitted and road tested my £79 "flip screen" from Metal Mule (I'm fairly sure it's the same as the £79 Powerbronze one - anyone confirm this?).
This review is my experience - I understand other peoples will differ, but I've given as much info as I can and have tried to be unbiased.

The screen seems as good quality as the OEM item - it's a perfect fit on all bolt holes and is supplied with rubber beading trim. No problems on full lock.

Aesthetically, I much prefer the look of the new tinted screen - it suits the Mag Grey colour. Not sure about the bumblebees - owners preference I suppose.
The screen is also "styled" as per the original item with the same contours and cutouts. This makes it look more like an OEM item than a bolt-on.

The screen does vibrate a little at the top at standstill in tune with the engine and there is some juddering over bumps and potholes. I don't think this is going to be a problem for me as every other part of the bike seems to do the same (brake reservoir, clonking forks, instruments, etc...) - just a sign of the crap state of our roads I'd say.

Around town and dual carriage ways at up to 50mph the screen is a big improvement - buffeting and noise are both significantly reduced for me (I'm 5'10" on a standard height seat and wearing a Caberg Justissimo GT).

At around 70-80mph noise is again improved over the standard item and this feels more "relaxed" generally.

Over 80mph (on private roads :augie) noise is only slightly improved, but pressure on the neck is reduced making touring at these speeds much more bearable.

Not sure whether the beading is intended as "trim" or whether it is contributing to the noise improvements - I note further up the thread someone links to a beading that claims to reduce noise??
I've put it on anyway (bugger of a fiddly job!) and unless anyone can advise me different I'll leave it on.

As for the vibrating at the top of the screen, its bearable for me - others who hate anything moving in the line of vision may not think so. However, I don't think it would be too difficult to fashion a support mechanism from the side bolts on the screen if required - I'm sure some of the more ingenious tossers out there will do this and I'll buy whatever they come up with.

My summary is that for almost £200 less than the BMW adventure screen, the improvements are well worth the money.

The tinted look seals it for me.....

Attachments

• beemer_001.jpg
    beemer_001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,378
  • beemer_002.jpg
    beemer_002.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3,631
  • beemer_003.jpg
    beemer_003.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,648
  • beemer_004.jpg
    beemer_004.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,374
thanks BMdonator. That is the powerbronze screen and it certainly appears to be the most effective to date. the final one to hear about before i buy is the touratech screen, which is due out in 2016 apparently. that looks good and i'll likely go for it, but i'm undecided about the beading :confused:

Back
Top Bottom