Great War Tour 2008 - The report.

Fromelles Update:

The excavation of the newly discovered mass grave is due to start in May this year.

The destruction of the majority of British WWI Service records during the Blitz in 1940 has made it difficult to establish who may be buried at Fromelles.

The soldiers' remains found at Fromelles will be exhumed and laid to rest in individual war graves.

The main British regiments involved in the battle, and therefore the most likely to have men buried at Fromelles, were the:

Gloucestershire Regiment (now The Rifles)
The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (Ox & Bucks) (now The Rifles)
The Royal Warwickshire Regiment (now The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers),
The Worcestershire Regiment (now The Mercian Regiment),
The Machine Gun Corps (disbanded and no modern equivalent).

Anyone believing they may be related to British soldiers buried at Fromelles should contact the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre, Historic Casualty & Deceased Estates Casework, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Building 182, Imjin Barracks, Gloucester GL3 1HW, Email: jccchistcasso3@spva.mod.uk, Tel: 01452 712612 Extension 6303.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...nour/WwiSoldiersToBeExhumedFromMassGraves.htm

Fromelles Update:

The excavation of the newly discovered mass grave is due to start in May this year.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...nour/WwiSoldiersToBeExhumedFromMassGraves.htm

Things have moved moved on a bit since the last posting.

http://www.cwgc.org/fromelles/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8247278.stm

My mother is one who has been contacted regarding the possibility of her Uncle being one of the British soldiers buried at Fromelles.

He was apparently a member of the Highland Cyclist Battallion.(HCB men transferred to the 2/7th Royal Warks)

Douglas.

At last I've found the cables for my NavII and I've been able to upload the updated waypoint files for this Tour.

Theoretically, you could just follow the list in numerical order.

There are three campsites listed, two are numbered and the third is a back-up site for the Ypres area.

Attachments

• Great War Waypoints.gdb
    4.6 KB · Views: 199
Very interesting read :thumb2

Given me some good ideas for stop offs for a trip later this year in October.

At last I've found the cables for my NavII and I've been able to upload the updated waypoint files for this Tour.

Theoretically, you could just follow the list in numerical order.

There are three campsites listed, two are numbered and the third is a back-up site for the Ypres area.

Hooray for search. Hopefully I can use this for the 2014 series reboot.

Somehow I've only just found this thread......so good....and useful....it ought to be a sticky....and a fitting tribute...

Nice bump gerald, its given me some ideas for a trip I'm planning in July. Just got to decide whether to camp or hotel in Ypres.

I wouldn't bother camping...loads of places to stay in Ypres, for all tastes and budgets. Allow a day for the Cloth Hall and town itself, go to the Menin Gate for 8pm, visit Tyne Cot. Walk around the walls in Ypres.

Somehow I've only just found this thread......so good....and useful....it ought to be a sticky....and a fitting tribute...

Agree! Mods, sticky please. there are many of these reports that are hidden gems and should have a place of their own ... or made sticky.

What I meant to say earlier was...

Keeping MikeP's thread alive. Im off again in June on another WW1 trip, but sadly not on the bike. Im going on a guided coach trip with the Sports & Social club at work. If they are using Ledger Tours like they did on a previous Normandy trip I did, then it should be excellent. Looking forward to it.

Thats MikeP :thumb2

What I meant to say earlier was...

Keeping MikeP's thread alive. Im off again in June on another WW1 trip, but sadly not on the bike. Im going on a guided coach trip with the Sports & Social club at work. If they are using Ledger Tours like they did on a previous Normandy trip I did, then it should be excellent. Looking forward to it.

Thats MikeP :thumb2

Yep spot on,certainly no disrespect to Mike P :beerjug:

So glad some one re posted this thread up, best history lesson ever , far better than any skool could teach . Brilliant trip idea

Back
Top Bottom