WW2 Fermanagh Flying Boats Rideout

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Shuck Raider (Arthur) has very kindly offered to take a group of 6 bikes on a road run to visit locations used by the Australian, British and Canadian Airforces in WW2. The run will for the most part be centered on Lower Lough Erne but will also cross over to areas of interest in Donegal.

Shuck Raider said:
During World War 2, due to its proximity to the Western Atlantic, Lough Erne in the western part of Northern Ireland was an obvious choice for Allied flying boat bases which could undertake patrols against German U-boats attacking convoys travelling to and from the UK and aggressive patrols in the Bay of Biscay against the U-boats’ home ports of Brest, Lorient and La Rochelle.

Much of the history of these bases remains and the purpose of this ride-out is to visit some of them and other points of military interest, including memorials to those who served here during the war.

The rideout will visit 10 points of interest;

1. Castle Archdale
2. Duross Point Observation Post
3. Irvinestown Church
4. Necarne Castle Military Hospital
5. RAF Killadeas
6. RAF St. Angelo
7. RAF Boa Island
8. Donegal Corridor Memorial Plaque, Ballyshannon Bridge
9. Donegal Corridor Memorial Plaque, Belleek Bridge
10. Cliffs of Magho RAF Memorial

At each point Arthur will give a brief talk about the location and there will be an opportunity to take pictures etc.

The start time for the run is yet to be finalised and it is expected to take the whole day to visit all the sites. There will of course be a lunch stop along the route.

Places on this run are strictly limited to 6 bikes (including pillion riders) and will be available on a first-come first-served basis.

Please indicate your interest by posting to this thread.

please please make it you need a big white scarf and googles to go on the run:bounce1:bounce1

russabbotshow_1.jpg

nice one Arthur:thumb2

i'll be on the offroad/track ride

Me plus one please!

Aiden/Arthur
this sounds of interest to me, so could I please secure a couple of places

BS

Very interested to do this, so put me down for a place if possible Aidan

Although the BigBollix hasn't bothered to reply to ya, I think you can take it that you're in :thumb2

Sounds like it'll be good alright but I'm doing sweeper for 'him' that day :eek

If there is any room left i'd like to go on this run as well please.

If there is any room left i'd like to go on this run as well please.

For you Trev - anything !
Shuck will take 6 peeps & with Betty taking 2 places & Jaws another one that'd make you number 4 :cool:

Other than the unplanned stop in north Co.Dublin, how was the hols :nenau Any fear of a write-up & a few pics ;)

Shuck will take 6 peeps & with Betty taking 2 places & Jaws another one that'd make you number 4

Wrong. :blast

Me said:
Shuck Raider (Arthur) has very kindly offered to take a group of 6 bikes on a road run

The list so far;

Betty Swollocks
Jaws100
Trev the Wee Ballix

We therefore have space left for a further three bikes. :)

Bin Ridin said:
Me, me, me, please!

Bin

Would love to do that run-count me in please

Will you be coming for the whole weekend Keith or just for the Saturday?

As the numbers on this run are very limited I would like to keep them open to folks who are attending the whole weekend, but I will start a reserve list for those coming up for just the Saturday who would like to go.

So far we have;

Betty Swollocks
Jaws100
TrevMcDev

And on the reserve list;

Bin Ridin
Keith McClintock
Drifter

Back
Top Bottom