Do NOT test ride a GS

wahooo

i work for cannons ............. you need at least a full day to appricate the gs !!!

Been riding sports bikes since I was 21, done some track days, taken them into Europe & had alot of fun. :D

Did a BMW off road skills course in Wales with Mutley from the Midlands parish, and had such a laugh I was hooked.:pullface

Am now the proud owner of a 12GSA, and sooooo looking forward to doing some serious mileage, taking it off road, attending some of the forum rallies:clap

Here's to long term GS fun:JB

If you want to use a calendar but don't have enough money to cover theexpense you need to pay for apremium calendar product

If you want to use a calendar but don't have enough money to cover theexpense you need to pay for apremium calendar product

Now that is what I call lateral thinking becky noel - it is the first time that a GS has been described as a 'premium calendar product' on these boards, I wager. :bow

Welcome to the madhouse by the way.:thumb

Prognosis? No known cure!

Hello fellow inmates!Hope Im in the right clinic!!My first post in this most amusing and educational asylum:thumb2 I`ve been an outpatient here for a while now, but seems my symptoms require a more involved course of treatment:banghead:
After owning and riding a kaleidoscope of different motorcycles over the years,I ,like many took a long break from the delights of two wheels,only to rediscover the addiction again a couple of years back.No longer in the first flush:rob,I made my way to my local Motorrad emporium of grown up guilty pleasures,and drove out with a new habit forming r1150 Anniversary edition black n white Rockster.Love at first bite,still love it, but now three years later I really want somthing I can take off the beaten (and unbeaten track) now and again,as well as undertake the occasional foray to far off exotic lands (Cornwall or perhaps even further:eek:) My most accommodating local dealer let me have an all day play on the 800gs which I really enjoyed,and think I am going to trade my 1150 for,(unless I can sell it privately first!).I had had a few shots on the 1200GS (my brothers and service loaner),which I also really liked on road,but was put off after seeing the Ewan and Charlie show.Watching them try to push what seemed like two grumpy humpback whales through a swamp,I realised I needed something with a lighter touch,but just as versatile when the going gets gnarly.Seems like this new, niggles fixed(?),2010 edition might be just the gal Im after,what do you long termers think? Barking up the wrong tree?Or just barking:chickendance
Of course there is always the `orange`question:eek 990`R`anyone:hide
Iam a novice in this dual purpose arena, and any input gratefully received:bow

If yer still in yer 30's and mostly ride solo, then the 990 is a pretty hard bike to beat. If you're mid 40's and take her indoors out from time to time and want to do serious all day miles, go with the beemer .... :thumb

Ha Ha Thanks Giles,you sure got me pegged:clap
Er indoors most impressed!Bet you knew I liked the Clash too!:D
I had more or less come to the same conclusion,and the beemer seems to tick more boxes than any other bike Ive come across,apart from what BMW jokingly refer to as a seat:eek: Arz ache after an hour and a half! Annoying when you know it would have only added a tiny amount to the price,to supply a really well designed comfortable (unstoppable?) seat:nenau
However, I do have a little taster booked on the 990 on Sat `gulp`Trouble is
I dont want to spend time in orange rehab,so praps I might skip it an treat er indoors to a cosy Saturday at home instead :whip

Welcome Skon. Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up. I've had my 800GS for about a year now, and can't think of anything I'd rather have. Perhaps the new Multistrada, but as I can't afford it, then it's irrelevant. You had one for a day, so you've already noticed the seat (I've gone for the BMW Comfort seat), if you spent any time in the rain then you'll probably want to change the screen. Other than that, it's perfect. Big enough to be interesting (and carry pillion), and small enough to hustle through the twisties. If you do cross the river, then you'll find the economy is great also. Added to that, you've got a local dealer with a good reputation, that should be worth something.

I did look at the Orange bikes, but they made my eyes hurt. They're uglier than Gordon Ramsey.

Gordon Bennet

Cheers for that v8:) Yep,reckon I have almost made up my mind,but you know what its like when faced with a few very desirable temptations,and there can be only 1:augie .
I think fuel economy and good dealer/spares backup tips the scales for me.Still gonna have little play over in the orange corner on Satuday, SM-T and 99`R`I actually think they both look the dogs bananaz, and I hear Ramsey`s been farkled recently too:eek: .Peace,out:cool

I know exactly what you mean.. I still have my tiny R6 and bought my GS without having tried one.. the first ride was horrible... now I am riding all the time... taking less time for my regular commute and leaning it over and hanging off it more than I ever do on the Yam! And see the looks on peoples faces when they are left at the lights...

I also didn't test ride the GS before trading in my GSXR. Just went with the looks of it and the high praise for Beemers from some of my mates who own RT/GT'S.

Yeah I missed the speed and handling of the Gixer, but not the aching joints after an hours ride!

But what an AWESOME beast the GS is. Ive had a couple of little issues with it, ie oil leak from the front engine casing..But other than that I love riding it. It handles great for a big heavy bike, comfort, visibility and the poke from the engine, it can surprise some sports bikes, i know that. :augie

I hope you are right!

Hi
This is my first post, I have done just this, bought a 2008 GS adventure, seen it, not ridden it, I am very excited!!
I have ridden a few bikes over the years, not really a committed biker, but last month bought an R45, 1979. I appreciate it is not a cutting edge machine, but it is a BMW, and I really enjoy riding it. Especially when I fitted a new front tyre. The old one was last made in 1981 apparently! The difference is incredible.
Anyway, I have always wanted a GS, looked around and settled on the 1200 adventure.
I am planning little trips already, I hope all the advice comes true that i will love it after a few miles. I don't know any other GS ers but live in East Yorkshire

Chris

Chris, you'll love it. I took the advice and didn't test drive an 1150GS 4 months ago before buying it. I now walk like John Wayne 'cos I spend every waking moment (almost ;) ) on my fabulous bike

Enjoy

Well at last I have booked a test ride tomorrow on a 1200GS. Just hope I can get me leg over the bike :) Really looking forward to it - I am sure its going to be a little different from my Harley Road King. I will let you know how it goes - any advice before I go would be appreciated. I intend to spend a couple of hours on my own and then an hour or so with the wife on the back ... that should be interesting.

Well at last I have booked a test ride tomorrow on a 1200GS. Just hope I can get me leg over the bike :) Really looking forward to it - I am sure its going to be a little different from my Harley Road King. I will let you know how it goes - any advice before I go would be appreciated. I intend to spend a couple of hours on my own and then an hour or so with the wife on the back ... that should be interesting.
:rob That's no hazzle at all. You mount it like a horse. Your left foot on the left foot pin and swing your right leg over the sadle, and VOILA there you are seated on the best driving machine ever :D
And your better half can the mount it the same way, no problem at all. My son at 6'2" does, and he fits like a glove riding in the back
Mc-tur061.jpg

Anyway, with 76.000 + kms on my '07 R12GSA it's no use in asking me, because I know :augie

PS
Come to think about it, the R12GS will handle the road a bit different than your Road King...

Wow that was some trip - fantastic pictures and road report - thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom