TDR 250 "perfect motorcycle" according to Bike Magazine

Stonewashed denim and White trainers, the two stroke riders gear of choice . Marks lost for wearing a proper leather jacket instead of a bomber jacket :thumb

Yeah but....marks gained for cool 'shades'.....and a pose that oh so nearly manages to hide his beer gut......:thumb2

I came within a gnats of buying one of these (TDR) on several occasions over the years, never seemed to happen for some reason or other.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

+2 On the Cagiva,

In my young pretest days i looked at at the 125 version of the TDR - I went with an NSR powervalve job in the end -

(relativly easy to set free ;) When i looked for one again just before getting my baby Varadero, they were like rocking horse shite - i think i

saw one on the bay with almost delivery milage, still at stupid money though.

I was tempted by a TDR 250, but the 250/350 RDLC would be my first choice :)

I was tempted by a TDR 250, but the 250/350 RDLC would be my first choice :)

In the 80's I had an RD350LC YPVS F2 (to give its full title). I commuted 25 backcountry miles to Blackpool on it fairly regularly and use to come across a guy on a TDR250 on a nice twisty open country lane just outside Blackpool (I am sure he waited for me as it was always the same place). He left me for dead every time. There was one longish straight where I made up ground but on the corners and rough bits of road he was away and gone while I was dragging my stands in the corners or flying out the saddle. Just saying - it certainly made me want one then back then, and even more so now.

In the 80's I had an RD350LC YPVS F2 (to give its full title). I commuted 25 backcountry miles to Blackpool on it fairly regularly and use to come across a guy on a TDR250 on a nice twisty open country lane just outside Blackpool (I am sure he waited for me as it was always the same place). He left me for dead every time. There was one longish straight where I made up ground but on the corners and rough bits of road he was away and gone while I was dragging my stands in the corners or flying out the saddle. Just saying - it certainly made me want one then back then, and even more so now.

I've not been in the same position but I have ridden both so can understand exactly how that happened. I rode out with my mate on his ZXR750 and I literally blitz off into the distance and away. We got to the pub at the end of the ing twisty B road (I already had my lid off) and he was in utter disbelief.

The TDR isn't good for it's time, it's still good now!!

Still looks good, did you see one of the bike mags had a "today's" version of the lc built, it looked amazing, so much so, people were contacting them to find out how to order!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Still looks good, did you see one of the bike mags had a "today's" version of the lc built, it looked amazing, so much so, people were contacting them to find out how to order!

Quite right, too.

It's interesting that there must be a whole generation of younger bikers out there who just don't know what it is to ride a 2-stroke of anything more than about 150cc.

They'll never know the joys of hearing that 'bluuuuuuh' noise when you try to set off with too few revs, they'll never have a bike jacket that stinks of 2-stroke smoke, they'll never judge service intervals by the volume of their top end rattle and they'll never have that wide eyed moment when you change down a gear hoping for engine braking only to realise there ain't any. :eek:

Aaah, happy days.

The strokers were a great era, I remember it well. I had this when I was an apprentice! 25mpg and loved 2 stroke as much.
1985. RD500 LC YPVS Worth a packet now,
6650c7736563fb8d36ecaf0ae8dc7d08.jpg

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Black and Yellow were best!! I got offered one in a garage 2 houses away 4 years ago the week before I got married.... Couldn't justify it then, but how I regret it now!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 411
I bought a mint example in 1995 as I’d always wanted one, but it didn’t quite live up to the hype. It was quite fun, but ran out of steam pretty quickly. It was surprisingly economical though, often averaging over 50mpg when wringing its neck. My RD250LC used to drop below 20mpg at times when I was a 17 year old idiot

Back
Top Bottom