How many wear a neck brace?

I have been putting this off for far too long now, just bought one from

http://www.mx1.co.uk/productlist.asp?MX1 join their mailing list and get an extra 10% off - £163.75

I commute every day in and out to London, must be cheaper than the alternative if I come off :augie

How do you find the mobility - you know for things like lifesavers? I find in London, being able to see what's coming is half the battle.

I know it sounds petty - but the other issue with the neck brace is it's one more thing to pack when you're off the bike :blast I already have by helmet, back armour and Aerostich over trousers, plus my boots if I'm going somewhere nice. I really don't think I'm gonna be able to fit the neck brace in the as well...

I use the neck brace and have an aerostich Darien. The helmet sits snugly on the brace (which can be comfortable on a long motorway journey)but I have not found that it restricts my neck movement. Try adjusting the angle of the rear brace so it sits lower down your back.

tried what you suggested and still not easy, so I moved the ajcket shoulder pads a bit further away from my neck and trimmed a little top part of the rear brace padding... result: head mobility restored. Thanks again, Bladerunner :thumb

How do you find the mobility - you know for things like lifesavers? I find in London, being able to see what's coming is half the battle.

I know it sounds petty - but the other issue with the neck brace is it's one more thing to pack when you're off the bike :blast I already have by helmet, back armour and Aerostich over trousers, plus my boots if I'm going somewhere nice. I really don't think I'm gonna be able to fit the neck brace in the as well...

I don't know yet mate, will be the first time I try it :eek As with all things pretty sure you either get on with it or you don't. Yet another thing to carry around but willing too do that if it gives another level of safety. Afterall if a truck runs over me no neckbrace is going to help but there is always that small silly offs that you pay dearest for in life :(

Will give an update when I received and used it for a while or not :D

My Adventure Leatt brace arrived today. My wife took some piccies tonight to give you an idea of the positioning. Apologies for the ugly model but that's the best I coudl do :D

First let me say that the restriction you expect from this brace is not at all as such. There is NO and I repeat NO restriction in sideways movement. It is important to understand what the purpose of this thing is and how it actually works.

According to the manual, the GPX is designed to prevent a whole range of injuries with names in medical terminology, which I have transcribed into English:

Hyperflexion, Hyperextension and Lateral Hyperflexion: Extreme forward, backward and sideways movements of the head.

Axial Loading: Compression of the spine. An extreme example is jet pilots ejecting from their planes and coming out a few centimeters shorter.

Posterior Hypertranslation: I’m no neurosurgeon but from what I gather this basically means having the head travel backwards at high speed to somewhere it’s not usually supposed. It plays a key part in whiplash injuries.

Front View with head in normal position, note the space between my chin and brace

488281954_cH84h-M.jpg

Front view with my chin down as much as I can down on the brace, it is not a great distance and this is where you will understand the principal of this brace

488282052_2jUJz-M.jpg

Rear View of the brace with head in normal position

488282276_L3jjg-M.jpg

Rear View with my head fully tilted back, the movement is not that much but enough not to annoy you. I actually think you can become a bit lazy by resting your head on your back :augie

488282152_5QGsP-M.jpg

You can adjust the rear stop into several degrees forward or back to suit

Sideways movement certainly no restiction and this is where I think most people's concern would be. I turned my head much more than I would normally do a life saver.

488281916_e6Poa-M.jpg

488281652_uqkVf-M.jpg

I also tried the brace with a buff and scarf and you can adjust to comfort. It actually does not sit tight and I can see no reason why this should not be 2nd nature by the end of tomorrow for me. It lies on top of your shoulders basically and they provide shorter and longer clips depending on the width of your chest and shoulders.

Bought mine at MX1 for £163 delivered and more than happy to meet up in the city (central London) should you want to view and try it on. Personally I think it is just that extra peace of mind but certainly a choice and decision you should make based on your own perceptions. Been riding for over 20 years, wish this was developed when I started as it certainly would of made differences in all the people I read, saw and heard off over the years breaking their necks in silly bike accidents ending up either dead or paralised.

Hope the above helps and take it easy out there :beerjug:

Personally I think it is just that extra peace of mind but certainly a choice and decision you should make based on your own perceptions.

100% with you there. I've looked at the science/surgery behind this and am convinced.

Hope we never get to find out how good they are.

Just to revive this thread from the dead.

I've been wearing a neck brace for 2 years now, and have a couple of solutions.

I wear my Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon neck brace when doing anything where I'm likely to fall off regularly... like off-road, or off-road training. I had a nasty couple of crashes at BMW ORS in Wales, both times I clunked my helmet against the brace heavily... and all was good. If you have a short neck, you might find it restrictive, but I always wear it now.

When on road, and not likely to be falling off regularly, I wear my Helite Turtle Airbag system. This gives me flexibility of unrestricted head movement and some piece of mind. However, I did topple over 'off-road' and trigger it, and got a small bit of whiplash from the collar inflating as my head was about to hit the ground...

In summer, I leave the airbag vest at home and wear the Leatt brace as it doesn't restrict airflow.

I'm also about to buy the POD K8 V2 Carbon knee braces as well. That'll complete my kit that I've been building up over the years. As I really do think it's worth it.

Oh, and I do understand why people don't wear all this stuff.... but to me it's just part of my day and doesn't reduce any fun I'm having one bit.

Probably because I'm happy with my decisions and don't care what others think I look like haha :D

Oh, and I do understand why people don't wear all this stuff.... but to me it's just part of my day and doesn't reduce any fun I'm having one bit.

Probably because I'm happy with my decisions and don't care what others think I look like haha :D

Stop spewing out meaningless words :blagblah:blagblah:blagblah and post a picture then :hapybnce::hapybnce::jes

I wear one on occasion...... and that occasion is when the wife is on the war path! :green gri

Same as you I wear a neck brace (BMW) or an air bag vest, who cares what anyone else thinks, only got one body!

Glad someone revived this thread. As I´m awaiting surgery and hope to be back on the bike in 12 months time, I will have to consider wearing one of these to prevent further injury to my dodgy neck/back. A small price to pay for the well being of your body. Having had chest down paralysis for half an hour the shock and the realisation of life in wheelchair really hits home.

Stop spewing out meaningless words :blagblah:blagblah:blagblah and post a picture then :hapybnce::hapybnce::jes

Heres my neck brace, Leatt 6.5 Carbon. Works like the business, literally saved my neck loads of times....

I only have a few actual pictures of me wearing it, so these will have been repeated elsewhere while out on my Africa Twin :rolleyes::p

Attachments

• Deep2.jpg
    Deep2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Neck Brace 1.jpg
    Neck Brace 1.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Neck Brace 2.jpg
    Neck Brace 2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Neck Brace 3.jpg
    Neck Brace 3.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 128
For my knees, I decided to invest in the POD K8 Version 2 Carbon knee protectors.

Reason being :-

a) Going through very deep ruts last year had my leg dragging and being twisted a couple of times unexpectedly. I can now see how knee 'twist' injuries can easily happen.
b) I like carbon fibre bling
c) They are very lightweight and adjustable
d) The knee profile is very slim, and will fit under regular trousers (unlike others which push the knee out too much). So you should be able to wear these ALL the time while out riding, and for long periods without discomfort. Better than dodgy knee pads in ill-fitting pockets which displace if dragged sideways !!

So I'll be trying these out over winter and we shall see :thumb

I've been told they are the 'dogs bollocks' for quality by the MX riders... :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7zsWW0kOEag" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 20181205_135512.jpg
    20181205_135512.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20181205_135523.jpg
    20181205_135523.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20181205_135542.jpg
    20181205_135542.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20181205_135639.jpg
    20181205_135639.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 126
Glad someone revived this thread. As I´m awaiting surgery and hope to be back on the bike in 12 months time, I will have to consider wearing one of these to prevent further injury to my dodgy neck/back. A small price to pay for the well being of your body. Having had chest down paralysis for half an hour the shock and the realisation of life in wheelchair really hits home.

An enlightening story, and I'm sorry to hear that.

Reason why I wear my stuff, not so much for myself but my family as well...

... and here's a recent picture with me out on the R1200 with wearing the Helite Turtle airvest (I'm the rider on the right hand side) :thumb2

All the gear, all the time.....

When I crashed my Bandit 1250 (40 mph lowside) a few years ago, I walked away without a scratch literally. Because of the stuff I wear.

Attachments

• AirVest1.jpg
    AirVest1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 122
So what's wrong with the way those pictures look ??? :D

Back
Top Bottom