How many wear a neck brace?

So lets talk about B)

One of my friends spends a lot of time on race circuits in the 'fast' group, he loves track days, Californian Superbike School, IAM and RoSPA Gold etc....

Anyways, he said Steve, if they are so good, why don't Superbike Racers wear them, or racers at the TT... why don't they wear them.

In my opinion... it's all because of their environment.

On a race circuit, they are designed for large run-off areas where you can slide for a long way before hitting anything. Unless you are VERY unlucky and hit another bike at speed, or high side (very high), you shouldn't experience a 'sudden stop', and it's those 'sudden stops' that do the damage (as testified in the earlier post in this thread, 10mph landed on his chin and broke his neck). On the TT they are feckin nuts, and that's part of the deal. At the speeds they do, and risks they take a neck brace is not going to save them.

Horse riders are prone to this injury, slow speed, bucked off horse head first onto the ground (all slow speed, but a sudden stop on the neck). They wear Helite Airbags now as this situation is infrequent so suits this 'one time use' application.

Motocross racers on dirt, jumping over crests, inbetween trees and rocks. They wear neck braces now as frequent crashes suit this application.

Road Riding.... with street furniture, curb stones, walls, fences, traffic. There are lots of opportunities for a 'sudden stop' in the event of a high side, low side or crash. But unlike a horse (with a mind of it's own) a motorbike generally does what you tell it to, so most riders think 'it'll never happen to me, I'm better than that' .... which might be true, but you can't control everything and one day when you do need it... it won't be there :comfort

Off-Road riding, hey YOU ARE GOING TO FALL OFF guaranteed haha... Get one.

Don't see many trees and rocks on MX courses - generally open areas for racing

Enduro terrain yes, haven't seen many neck braces on Enduro events

I ride with the PointTwo jacket every ride and has no restriction of movement . In hot weather I unzip my bike jacket , massively increasing airflow and it’s safely ‘held together ‘ by the PointTwo jacket. The collar inflation HOPEFULLY prevents hyper extension or compression of the neck. It looks like it would be snug against the helmet , but hey not verified :
a993e7bf9141febad429ec5e160008bf.jpg

Don't see many trees and rocks on MX courses - generally open areas for racing

Enduro terrain yes, haven't seen many neck braces on Enduro events

I know there must be lots of different off-road riding disciplines, and cultures, which I'm not an expert on.

But when I did my research, there were a lot of off-road riders that were using them, especially in competition (whichever specific discipline that was).

I know there must be lots of different off-road riding disciplines, and cultures, which I'm not an expert on.

But when I did my research, there were a lot of off-road riders that were using them, especially in competition (whichever specific discipline that was).

Two of the best riders I know in my local TRF group (both have done Romaniacs, regular Enduros, Roadbook Rallys etc. etc.)

One wears a kneck brace all the time - even on a bimble out with us on gentle trails
The other never wears one!

All comes down to personal choice I guess!

Yeah agreed... and some just can't wear one, it isn't an option.

Expecting to be flamed...

Leatt neck braces and their ilk from other manufacturers are "braces"?

Whereas yokes like this are "supports"?

ONeal-NX1-Neck-Collar-Adult-0528-200.png

I imagine the former offers significantly more protection than the latter, but does this fact render the latter pointless or useless? The cost difference is chasmic.

Close to being pointless, unless your pillion likes to sleep while you ride?

That support won't stop Hyperextension, Hyperflexion, lateral hyperflexion or posterior hypertranslation.

So it's pointless wearing it.

Is Leatt the only name in town for effective neck braces?

Is Leatt the only name in town for effective neck braces?

I know BMW do their own brand, but I think all their stuff is Leatt.

Same with Scott... I think all that is rebranded Leatt.

Alpinestars do neck braces...

I have 'that' picture, but will not be posting it....;)

Would that be the same picture I have too - complete with "lucky underpants"?

...............or something entirely different ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom