How many wear a neck brace?

chrisjk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Watching the Dakar has given me pause for thought - seems like most riders are wearing neck braces. I do go off-road and although I never, ever fall off:augie it seems like it might be an idea to invest in one. I am just wondering how many folk here do so?

Neck Brace's have become a topic on a dualsport riding site I belong too.

This Leatt brace is being looked at by members of the site:

"Suggested Retail Price $195 US/ €195"

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=50&msg_id=151&id=3#151

Anyways, since I do get thrown off my Bike (KTM 530) while dualsport/dirt riding. I am planning on getting one. I already wear full body armour (minus a neck brace) while dualsport/dirt riding.

I don't know if I will wear it on the GS or not. I have read were guys wear a neck brace just riding to the store. I can't knock some-one for doing that. It could save your neck.

most races it's mandatory, I've worn one takes abit of getting use to cos it limits your movements abit. Suppose that's what it's for...:blast

Will get one if I want to race, won't wear it to the shops if I'm that worried I'll take the car:thumb2

ATGATT

I'm surprised they are not worn by more riders.

I posted on this a while back.

I wear mine all the time - it really does not interfer with any riding enjoyment or restrict "lifesavers" etc. I've spoken to a few experienced off road riders who have had serious "offs" and reckon they would have been badly injured if not wearing the Leatt Brace.

The physics/orthopaedics makes sense to me and it just gives me that little bit extra that I am doing my best to reduce the chances of me having special parking priveledges for the rest of my life.

I know all the arguments about freedom/if you are that scared don't ride etc, but as it doesn't reduce the pleasure I get from riding, I have no problem. Bit like helmets when skiing - really no hassle and may just mean I can continue skiing for a few more years.

each to their own

Well, I bought one, just have to learn how to fix it with my various bits of riding gear (under/over jackets, shirts etc).

I can understand why they're worn in competition, but for everyday use on the road, personally, I'd feel a right twat.

I might die cos of my desire not to feel or be seen by others as a fnny. :augie

Way too far in my opinion.

Dakar and competition maybe.

Anything else no! CompulsoryNo way ever for any reason. We live in a democracy let's keep it that way:rocketwho:rocketwho:rocketwho

I'm surprised they are not worn by more riders.

I posted on this a while back.

I wear mine all the time - it really does not interfer with any riding enjoyment or restrict "lifesavers" etc. I've spoken to a few experienced off road riders who have had serious "offs" and reckon they would have been badly injured if not wearing the Leatt Brace.

The physics/orthopaedics makes sense to me and it just gives me that little bit extra that I am doing my best to reduce the chances of me having special parking priveledges for the rest of my life.

I know all the arguments about freedom/if you are that scared don't ride etc, but as it doesn't reduce the pleasure I get from riding, I have no problem. Bit like helmets when skiing - really no hassle and may just mean I can continue skiing for a few more years.

each to their own

and do you wear a back/spine protector in your jacket?

I can understand why they're worn in competition, but for everyday use on the road, personally, I'd feel a right twat.

I might die cos of my desire not to feel or be seen by others as a fnny. :augie

+1 :thumb

most people can't be arsed to wear seat belts in a car.... and they must be far,far easier to deploy:augie

all very well and good in races but on the road could never happen.

HOW THE FECK WOULD YOU DO YOUR LIFESAVERS

I've already said I wouldn't wear a neck brace for fear of looking like a twat, and neck braces really are a giant step too far, but reflecting on things, whoever (of my age):rob thought they'd see the day when kids would be wearing knee, elbow and hand protectors just to play on roller skates?

I still can't bring myself to wear a helmet when I'm out on my bicycle, but I do have armour in my rukka jacket. Ten years ago I wouldn't have even thought about it.

Health and Safety have brainwashed us. We're gradually turning into a nation of worried wimps.

I reckon one of the the main hurdles is price. Looking at that U.S. one, it's reasonably priced, not like the BMW/KTM versions.

+1 :thumb

most people can't be arsed to wear seat belts in a car.... and they must be far,far easier to deploy:augie

beg to differ the vast majority do wear seat belts

BUT we must be careful about over regulation so make em compulsary for every day use nooooooo

we would see them in rugby matches, rock climbing etc etc if the H&S mafia have their way
life has risks I wish the gov etc would get over it and get on

Back
Top Bottom