Conti attack

Anybody know if it's OK to mix Conti Trail Attack on the back with Tourance on the front?

Only thing I would say is I think the Contis have more grip than the Tourances, so if you push it the front would go first, but you can always hold it up on your knee.

:p

conti tyres

Always had road attacks on my 1150 GSA, around 5000 for rear and 8000 for front. Good feedback and plenty grip.
mixed riding, speed, loaded etc.
Road attack 2's on now, bit softer methinks, 4000 for rear, trying a trail attack rear today from Buckley Tyres, top service.
Will feedback in couple of months.

I've had the trail attacks on for about 4K in which time they have been driven hard including motorways at 110 mph (legally) with about 2K carrying a pillion (photographer) and they are great very good grip in wet and dry, except for one issue, the tyres are clearly a dual compound as the shoulder tread has worn quicker then the centre and where the two meet there is a lip between the tread either side of the grove hard /soft, it doesn't seam to effect handling but it is something to be aware of.

I concur, massive amount of grip wet and dry more so than old tourance and very confidence inspiring. I noticed the lip as well when wearing and the accompanying rumble when leaning was so bad it led me think my b/b bearing was on the way out. Tyre life was also not as good as the old tourance, so on balnce i stuck with tourance.

Just got back from a 7,000 mile blast around Europe, having fitted a brand new set of Trail Attacks before I went... I've used TA for the last few years and I'm extremely pleased with them.
I attach a photo to show you how the rear looks after 7k, compared to a new one.
There's 12mm of tread on the new TA in the centre, and 3mm on the used one.
There's 9mm of tread on the new TA at the edge, and 5mm on the used one... I was trying as hard as I dare on the twisties, did about 100 miles off-road and only a few hours in the wet.
In the past, I've used Tourances and Anakees, but I rate these as the best all-rounders so far.
Oh!... I can't add the photo :nenau
Have a look... here

Just got back from a 7,000 mile blast around Europe, having fitted a brand new set of Trail Attacks before I went... I've used TA for the last few years and I'm extremely pleased with them.
I attach a photo to show you how the rear looks after 7k, compared to a new one.
There's 12mm of tread on the new TA in the centre, and 3mm on the used one.
There's 9mm of tread on the new TA at the edge, and 5mm on the used one... I was trying as hard as I dare on the twisties, did about 100 miles off-road and only a few hours in the wet.
In the past, I've used Tourances and Anakees, but I rate these as the best all-rounders so far.
Oh!... I can't add the photo :nenau
Have a look... here

P1040069.jpg

Done :thumb

What pressures do you run them out, I have pretty much squared mine off after a big 2 up 3000 mile tour, that said they rumble when i tip in but no loss of grip to speak off... just curious

Paul

What pressures do you run them out, I have pretty much squared mine off after a big 2 up 3000 mile tour, that said they rumble when i tip in but no loss of grip to speak off... just curious

Paul

On this trip I ran the pressures up near the maximum recommended... 2.9 bar rear, 2.5 bar front. I'm near 130kg. fully kitted up and I carry a tank bag and a bag strapped onto the rear rack, so I'm what you might call "fully-loaded" :D
Now that they're worn, they tend to "rumble" a bit when I'm over on the edges... I can feel it through the bars. I think the feathering (the front edge of one block wearing more than the adjacent rear edge of the block in front) is due to hard braking rather than normal wear when cornering etc. As you say... no loss of grip.

Thanks Andrew... I get the picture thing now :thumb

Thanks for the response I tend to run mine at pretty much the same one or two up.. could explain the centre going quickly.. well quicker than the sides

My new to me 1150 has a new tourance rear and a knackered ca rear.
The centre has worn much quicker than the edges which results in rumble as I tip in.
But then I did do a blat from Cardiff to home when I got it. Just something to be aware off

Interesting response about Trail Attacks. In the pictures of the old and new, are they really Trail Attacks? I thought trail version would be more knobbly than a tourance type road tyre.

I have always used Tourance (standard ones, not the EXP or 2) on the 1150 Adv and the standard 1150GS and received good mileage out of them and reasonable mpg - does mpg suffer with the Contis or are they near enough the same?

I have been looking for sometime for a good tyre that actually grips off road, the Tourance is absolute rubbish on anything approaching off road - wet grass, mud over grass etc. On forest trails and that type of thing fine, but agricultural growing mediums they just don't work!

What would people suggest? I get 13,000 out of a pair of Tourances, and they both wear out as fast as each other, so always replaced as a pair. I did get over 14,000 out of one set, but I think I ran them a bit thin!

MPG and miles of life are important to me - I pay for them and I need to keep my running costs down as much as possible, even if it means easing off a bit to stay upright. I am broad shouldered enough to withstand the chicken strip jobes - I have ALWAYS had chicken strips, mainly because I ama chicken...I can't afford to risk dropping the bike. My religion won't allow it...devout skinflint.:rob

Tried to edit my post, but couldn't see an "edit" button....just wanted to add, I know the TKCs are supposed to be brilliant at off road, but there is no way I can afford 6000 mile tyres, that is DOUBLE the cost of Tourances.

What would be a good tyre for mucky roads in winter, and mucky off road routes too.

Interesting response about Trail Attacks. In the pictures of the old and new, are they really Trail Attacks? I thought trail version would be more knobbly than a tourance type road tyre.

Yes... they're definitely both Trail Attacks.
Continental also do a "Road Attack" with an identical tread pattern. Although I've never used them, I would imagine they'd use a softer compound and a shallower tread.
I like to take my 1200GSA off-road whenever I can when I'm abroad, BUT... I'll never knowingly take it on wet/muddy trails with Trail Attacks fitted. :eek:
On dry, dusty, rocky trails, almost any road tyre will be suitable up to a certain point, you just have to be a little circumspect. On wet/muddy/slippy grass-type trails, it's all too easy to get into a slide and lose control simply because of the huge weight of the GSA... it's not a little trail bike, where a quick dab sorts out a slide :D

I like to take my 1200GSA off-road whenever I can when I'm abroad, BUT... I'll never knowingly take it on wet/muddy trails with Trail Attacks fitted. :eek:
On dry, dusty, rocky trails, almost any road tyre will be suitable up to a certain point, you just have to be a little circumspect. On wet/muddy/slippy grass-type trails, it's all too easy to get into a slide and lose control simply because of the huge weight of the GSA... it's not a little trail bike, where a quick dab sorts out a slide :D

Shock Horror!:confused::D
P1030374-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom