Tool Tube 800gs

Diamaduk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Fitted the Tool Tube this weekend, photos of homemade brackets and mount points attached for info.

Jimmy

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3,115
  • DSC00116.jpg
    DSC00116.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3,019
  • DSC00122.jpg
    DSC00122.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,094
  • DSC00121.jpg
    DSC00121.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,042
  • DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,243
Awesome, nice to know theres some good mounts available to hold brackets on that side of the bike. Was aiming to do the same mod myself next weekend :)

Cheers for the piccies.

PS have you thought of any way of making them semi secure (ie lockable by padlock or even just a bolt/screw)? Got a few ideas floating about my head but nothing perfect yet :(

PS have you thought of any way of making them semi secure (ie lockable by padlock or even just a bolt/screw)? Got a few ideas floating about my head but nothing perfect yet :(

I considered a pin through the threads with a small padlock although this will affect watertight integrity. Perhaps some electric shock equipment would suffice.

If you are considering a similar mount, beware that the screw cap has very little clearance from the mounting bolt (I used mushroom head allen bolt).

Also the rear bracket slips between the tank and the frame, ensure that it is not scuffing the tank when bolted in place. I used 4mm thick mild steel which is pretty rigid and offers about 1mm clearance of the tank.

I put a bit of an offset bend on the rear bracket to allow the tube to follow the line of the tail..

Jimmy

Attachments

• DSC00125.jpg
    DSC00125.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,035
Got a couple of those but yet to fit, I'll be keeping an eye on this and hopefully someone will come up with a good way to lock/secure the lid :D

Get some petrol on the tube and remove the yellow writing / pictograms :thumb

I made some brackets as well :roll Thanks for the inpiration Diamaduk :thumb

Went down to B&Q and bought a rolled steel strip. I few bends and some spray paint and you're done.

IMG_0504.jpg

Had to make them slightly different so they are clear of the panniers.

If anyone makes these, do be careful of the fuel tank. The bracket sits millimetres from the top of the tank. It may wear through the plastic tank if it's pushing against the side wall.

Went down to B&Q and bought a rolled steel strip. I few bends and some spray paint and you're done.

View attachment 114785

If anyone makes these, do be careful of the fuel tank. The bracket sits millimetres from the top of the tank. It may wear through the plastic tank if it's pushing against the side wall.

Nice one Smaytum, I used quite a bit of heat to get a sharp right angle bent on the rear bracket to alow a cluaner fit alongside the tank.

Jimmy

Where did you find does tools to mount it to your GS?
I want to do it like you but I don't know where to find some brackets.

Regards,

Where did you find does tools to mount it to your GS?
I want to do it like you but I don't know where to find some brackets.

Regards,

I went down to my local B&Q DIY store and bought a strip of 3mm steel. Cut it, bent it, drilled it and painted it. You need a metal saw, drill, hammer and vice.

I went down to my local B&Q DIY store and bought a strip of 3mm steel. Cut it, bent it, drilled it and painted it. You need a metal saw, drill, hammer and vice.

Thats exactly how I did it but I did apply some heat to make the bends, this prevents the metal fracturing.:thumb2

Sorry no more photos from me, sold the bike, gone a bit orange, trying to find a spot to fit the tube on a 990.

Sorry to resurect this thread but i fitted mine this exact way today, and IMHO i did a proper job... however when i loaded my tools into the tube i noticed that the bracket i made for the rear of the bike is just touching the fuel tank:(

Has anyone who fitted it this way noticed any wear on the tank and does taping up the piece of bracket that is touching the tank make any difference to how much it wears?

I am thinking i am going to have to re bend the bottom of the bracket:blast

Chad :dragon

Sorry to resurect this thread but i fitted mine this exact way today, and IMHO i did a proper job... however when i loaded my tools into the tube i noticed that the bracket i made for the rear of the bike is just touching the fuel tank:(

Has anyone who fitted it this way noticed any wear on the tank and does taping up the piece of bracket that is touching the tank make any difference to how much it wears?

I am thinking i am going to have to re bend the bottom of the bracket:blast

Chad :dragon

I found that if you make the bracket angle tight (heat required), there is a slight clearance, to ensure no wear. I stuck a bit of velcro (the fuzzy side) to the bracket where it may scuff the tank, did about 8 thousand miles with the tube fully stuffed with tools, no evidence of any wear.

I found that if you make the bracket angle tight (heat required), there is a slight clearance, to ensure no wear. I stuck a bit of velcro (the fuzzy side) to the bracket where it may scuff the tank, did about 8 thousand miles with the tube fully stuffed with tools, no evidence of any wear.

Thanks,

I think i am going to put it back in the vice and give it a little tweak:augie and hope fr the best.

Good idea with the velcro, ill do that aswell.

Chad

View attachment 114785

What points on the bike are you mounting to? I want to do this tomorrow, any more detailed pictures would be much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom