Switched power - The easy way

And I was just quoted £36.. for a splitter to fit an '08 model. Still seems the neatest way tho'. Dave

I have an '08 GSA and fitted the BMW power socket to the 'beak' but can't work out where the power cable connects to the bikes wiring loom.

Its the same lead Baron has ( about a meter long ).

Does anyone know if I can just plug it into a socket on the bike I haven't found or do I need to do a mod of some kind ?

Any advice appreciated.

Chris.

I have an '08 GSA and fitted the BMW power socket to the 'beak' but can't work out where the power cable connects to the bikes wiring loom.

Its the same lead Baron has ( about a meter long ).

Does anyone know if I can just plug it into a socket on the bike I haven't found or do I need to do a mod of some kind ?

Any advice appreciated.

Chris.

I do not have an 08 bike but I assume it plugs into the auxiliary socket that is located on the nearside, under the seat?

If so.

Disconnect the existing aux socket's supply. Plug in the extension lead. Reconnect the aux socket's supply and run the 1m of lead forward to the socket on the beak.

Thanks for this thread....

I picked up my splitter lead from riders of Cardiff yesterday (£23 inc vat) for my 2009 gs se.

I'm fitting a starcom intercom to the tool tray under the seat and this lead will enable me to do a neat install job and store the power wire under the tray (which is where the aux socket is located).

The lead is a tad long so i'll be cutting/slodering it to suit but better to have too much than too little :)

:thumb

Thanks for this thread....

I picked up my splitter lead from riders of Cardiff yesterday (£23 inc vat) for my 2009 gs se.

I'm fitting a starcom intercom to the tool tray under the seat and this lead will enable me to do a neat install job and store the power wire under the tray (which is where the aux socket is located).

The lead is a tad long so i'll be cutting/slodering it to suit but better to have too much than too little :)

:thumb

Excellent :thumb2

Measure twice, cut once, is a good tip when cutting the extension lead. Of course it's easy to trim it again if it's still too long. Less easy to stick an inch back on, though.

I do not have an 08 bike but I assume it plugs into the auxiliary socket that is located on the nearside, under the seat?

If so.

Disconnect the existing aux socket's supply. Plug in the extension lead. Reconnect the aux socket's supply and run the 1m of lead forward to the socket on the beak.

That's the one - pulled the tool tray out and felt a bit thick for posting this - it was easier than filling up :blast

Fuse question

I'm not bothered about switched power - just want to wire in my Centech direct to the battery for GPS and heated clothing (more than 5 amps). It recommemds using an in-line fuse but what ampage fuse should I use?:nenau

The quick ones out there will have guessed that I am not very knowledgeable about electrics....:blast

or mechanics....:blast:blast

or DIY (at least, according to SWMBO) :blast:blast:blast

Sorry! At least I keep sparks and spanner monkeys in employment!:augie

I'm not bothered about switched power - just want to wire in my Centech direct to the battery for GPS and heated clothing (more than 5 amps). It recommemds using an in-line fuse but what ampage fuse should I use?:nenau

The quick ones out there will have guessed that I am not very knowledgeable about electrics....:blast

or mechanics....:blast:blast

or DIY (at least, according to SWMBO) :blast:blast:blast

Sorry! At least I keep sparks and spanner monkeys in employment!:augie

:thumb2:thumb2 +1:flag

Just FYI

Post 08 Models: Part no. 61 12 7 712 581

is £28.50 incl postage from Vines...

But including postage it comes in a $200!! which is a bit much :(

The Beaver Power thing is looking good again! ;)

bollocks... ordered the Fuseblock before seeing this!! but I'm sure it will do fine!

I have one of those leads on my bike. (only brought bike this week) when the ignition is on its reading full power. After its turned off at the key and the canbus shuts down the power in the way we all know it does it still shows 0.3v. What gives??

If i have a phone charging under the seat and leave it there say overnight is that 0.3 volts going to cause an issue. (i know its not enough to charge the phone.)

A simple version of this is to use that splitter cable and some Posi-Taps which I think are brilliant.

This way requires no solder and the Posit-Taps just go into the spare wire by using the splitter cable.

I know it's messy just now but only cos I do plan to run a Fusebox and wanted to keep the length on all the wires in case I move things.

As of now it's just powering the sat nav (cables run round the side, for my Garmin 600 are the perfect length!) and a USB power which I got sitting next to the DIN power.

Just thought for thos electrically challenged (like me) might find this an uber simple option for just a few bits. Fits under the tool tray, takes no time and is dead easy!

hCMp0l.jpg

splitter cable

just been reading all of these and thought i could do with one of them,rang Bmer and the 2 other codes dont relate to my bike,But!! kind levi at manchester said but there is an amendment for my bike (06`GSA) for the "retro" fit part 61 127 700 005. so as Wapping tells us all CHECK with your dealer,mine is in the UK, ordered and on its way.cheers:beerjug:

there is also an unused switched power supply under the seat of the 1200 gs it can be used to trip a relay to power stuff up!! its called the diagnostic plug.

piece of pish to find and its in an accessable place too.

Just carried out this procedure for giving myself switched power for my autocom, first class post from wapping thank you sir!

Heres a few photos i took for anyone else thinking of doing it as wappings photos have gone...

Under the seat tool tray..

IMG_1559.jpg

Aux socket..

IMG_1560.jpg

Remove plug attach the new splitter..

IMG_1561.jpg

Plug the splitter back into the socket your now left with a free leg..

IMG_1562.jpg

Strip the cable back slip on some heat sleeving and i choose to attach some bullet crimps.(only had the red ones the slighter bigger blue would be better)

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

You are now left with a switched live and neutral, choose to do what you wish with, wire in a relay or just plug an autocom in direct like i did..

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Id recommend for anyone the wireless soldering iron kit you can get from maplins,

IMG_1569.jpg

You can change the tips on it for different purposes but what i like best is one of the tips turns it into a blow gun for using on the heat shrink so you have a soldering iron and heat gun in one! :thumb

Back
Top Bottom