Switched power - The easy way

Earthing.

Here you are everyone, courtesy of Gunsmoke's website. He uses a 12 volt terminal block (Red positive + and Black negative -) which is itself unfused, relying on the Canbus to make the fuse for him. You could use a Centec fuse box just as well.

HARNESS.JPG

I will also take the liberty of repeating Gunsmoke's advice on the relays:

........ is the relay that switches power to the terminal blocks. I had a small Bosch component (Bosch part no. 0 332 011 007) I which is very small as relays go. I chose to label the wires going to the relay so that I could figure out what went where later. The relay pin layout and schematic are shown below.

relay_pinout.jpg

relay_schematic.jpg

As shown in the schematic, the leads that used to connect to the auxiliary power socket now connect to pins 1 and 2 on the relay. The fused power lead from the auxiliary power socket itself connects to pin 3, with a wire running from pin 5 going to the 12 V terminal strip.

Here is a link to some really good information on installing relays, again prompted by Gunsmoke (to whom I remain endebted etc. etc. etc,)
Relays You will notice that the site prompts you to take power from the diagnostic plug. This makes it complicated in my opinion and brings people back to the fear (quite understandable) of doing something irreversible to damage their bike. Using a splitter from the aux. socket avoids this concern completely, simply as it leaves all the bike's loom wiring completely untouched and is completely reversible in just two minutes, I promise.

If anyone is nervous of relays, don't be. Just think of them as automatic switches, that only turn on (by magic) when conditions are right. Just take a bit of time working out which pin is which and all will be well. Any good High Street auto-electrical shop will tell you, for sure.

Here is a link to how relays work: It's (not quite) magic

I hope the whole thread is useful and will give anyone the confidence to give it a go.

PS For what it's worth I prefer the BlueSea fuse boxes to Centec's. BlueSea Their Terminal blocks are neat, too http://bluesea.com/category/9/36/productline/190

The earth leads are shown as returning to the battery. My question is: Does the earth wire have to go back to the battery itself, or can they be earthed throught the framework by attaching it to, for example, a convenient stud or bolt near to the accessory. Have done a fair bit of relayed stuff on cars in the past but the whole Canbus thing makes me paranoid about getting the wiring right.
My RT handbook says max 10Amp for the outlet sockets,(combined presumably, not individually if you have more than one aux).

Plug the splitter back into the socket your now left with a free leg..

IMG_1562.jpg

Strip the cable back slip on some heat sleeving and i choose to attach some bullet crimps.(only had the red ones the slighter bigger blue would be better)

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

You are now left with a switched live and neutral, choose to do what you wish with, wire in a relay or just plug an autocom in direct like i did..

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

Id recommend for anyone the wireless soldering iron kit you can get from maplins,

IMG_1569.jpg

You can change the tips on it for different purposes but what i like best is one of the tips turns it into a blow gun for using on the heat shrink so you have a soldering iron and heat gun in one! :thumb[/QUOTE]

This might be daft, but looking through this great post again

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180464&page=3

it seems that after the spare plug is cut off there are 4 wires. My current aux has only 2 wires, so surely a splitter would also only have 2 per channel (if thats the right word?), IOW 2 wires to original and 2 to connect to whatever you want now, but 2 pairs are shown. Am I missing something?

The power at the Aux socket remains live for approx 15 mins after the ignition has been switched off. Now, if you decide to take a spur off the aux socket to power an Autocom with a bluetooth dongle for you phone then it will remain actively connect via the bluethooth unless you switch off the connection via your phone.

A bit of a pain in the ass if someone phones you when your off the bike and your helmet is put away in the cupboard, cause the dongle will automatically answer the incoming call.

I find the best way to have additional aux power is to use a relay and a switched live from the ignition. That way when you switch off the ignition you kill the power to the new aux sockets.

From the Manual
In order
to ensure that the drain on the
on-board power supply system
is minimised, the supply to the
power socket is cut off approximately
15 minutes after the ignition
is switched off,

Sometimes you may want to use the accessory socket with the ignition off - for things like a chargers, compressor, camping stuff, lights etc. If you want to do this I recommend using a seperate fuse block which has both switched and unswitched outputs. I have one such device supplied by Jim Davis of Eastern Beaver (great products and not expensive for what you get) - it has 6 switched and 2 unswitched outputs complete with corresponding earths. In my case, I completely disconnected the OEM accessory socket under the seat and replaced it with a Powerlet socket and wired it direct to an unswitched output of the fuseblock so I can use it regardless of the ignition. I then have the other stuff such as GPS power, heated clothing, spot lamps etc connected to the switched outputs so they only work with the ignition on. Works well for me.

Sometimes you may want to use the accessory socket with the ignition off - for things like a chargers, compressor, camping stuff, lights etc. If you want to do this I recommend using a seperate fuse block which has both switched and unswitched outputs. I have one such device supplied by Jim Davis of Eastern Beaver (great products and not expensive for what you get) - it has 6 switched and 2 unswitched outputs complete with corresponding earths. In my case, I completely disconnected the OEM accessory socket under the seat and replaced it with a Powerlet socket and wired it direct to an unswitched output of the fuseblock so I can use it regardless of the ignition. I then have the other stuff such as GPS power, heated clothing, spot lamps etc connected to the switched outputs so they only work with the ignition on. Works well for me.

Cool, I left the OEM socket alone and wired two new aux sockets from the battery using a relay and a switched +12 V that way I have the best of both worlds.:thumb2

Just mentioned it because a little forward thinking might be required before tapping into the OEM socket.:thumb2

The power at the Aux socket remains live for approx 15 mins after the ignition has been switched off. Now, if you decide to take a spur off the aux socket to power an Autocom with a bluetooth dongle for you phone then it will remain actively connect via the bluethooth unless you switch off the connection via your phone.

A bit of a pain in the ass if someone phones you when your off the bike and your helmet is put away in the cupboard, cause the dongle will automatically answer the incoming call.

I find the best way to have additional aux power is to use a relay and a switched live from the ignition. That way when you switch off the ignition you kill the power to the new aux sockets.

From the Manual
In order
to ensure that the drain on the
on-board power supply system
is minimised, the supply to the
power socket is cut off approximately
15 minutes after the ignition
is switched off,

The book may say this but the reality is that it's approximately 30-40 seconds.

If the key is left in the ignition barrel when the bike is switched off the computer senses the key's presence and leaves the cab bus on stand by for as long at 15 minutes.

Switch the bike off and once the ket is more than about 6ft from the bike the can bus shuts down within about 30-40 seconds :thumb

Can confirm the timings after a little experimentation.

And also splitter cable 61 13 2 316 621 fitted my 2007 GS. Interestingly it doesn't seem to be listed as a GS part, but works a treat, and makes my autocom easily demountable.

Numpty with technical gear

Here is the Baron's lead in all its glory.

He tells me the lead is over a meter long....:eek:

The sockets look totally different, too.

497439132_4qPnM-L.jpg

Any chance of a picture of socket under the seat, I can't seem to find it on mine. Thanks, and great tip!

Can you buy the splitter plug on its own ??? as I may be looking for one for my 2011 twin cam, is this correct number from my bike 61 12 7 712 581 ;)

Looking at adding a PDM60 to my 2014 GSA when it arrives.where is the most suitable place to trigger the PDM60 from using a switched live? Looking at having PDM under seat with autocom. Thank you.

Any switched power supply will do, for instance the rear light feed.

If you wanted to avoid chopping into any wires, have a look at this: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/elec...-connector-for-bmw-ducati-triumph-motorcycles

It really is plug-and-play; nicely made, too.

Not sure the rear light feed will trigger the PDM60.

My understanding is that the rear light feed is not 12v but I could be wrong.

There is a suitably place trigger source just behind the tank which is approx 50mm from where the PDM60 can be sited.

I am not sure that the trigger needs to be 12 volts. The trigger only requires a positive voltage signal, nothing more.

It's current draw is minimal, less tan 1/1000 of an amp. I think just about anything will do it.

Bods seem to use all sorts of triggers, amongst the most popular seems to be a feed from the diagnostic hub. A search of 'PDM 60 trigger' turns up loads of suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom