Switched power - The easy way

I have read this post with interest, having had problems with a USB lead I had connected through my Centec fuse panel. Although it took me a while to discover that said USB lead draws power even when not in use and was, over a couple of weeks killing the battery. So I have now purchased the lead part no, 61 12 7 712 581 and im going to fit a relay between the battery and fuse panel to make the whole panel switched. This should cure the problem. Ta for the info peeps. Del

A lot of devices and / or leads draw power, even when 'off' particularly when they are not off at all but in 'sleep' mode.

A properly switched supply or a relay will sort it out.

A lot of devices and / or leads draw power, even when 'off' particularly when they are not off at all but in 'sleep' mode.

A properly switched supply or a relay will sort it out.

Yup, I found that out the hard way and blamed the battery for the problem and it wasn't. OK I have had to pay £29 for a proper lead but its plug and play with no cutting of the harness. Ta, Del

Switched Power Question

Hi all - with the accessory socket extender fitted and powering radios and Autocom once the ignition is on - what happen when you connect a battery charger to the accessory socket - does it Power up the Autocom and radio connected to the extension lead?

I can't BELIVE the cost of the adapter lead from BMW. So thought I'd make my own.

Does anyone know the name of the socket type used in the Aux plug or is it unique to BMW?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Assistance required

Hope you kind folks can help we wade through all this knowledge. The more of this thread I read the more confused I become.
So, 2010 GS, just brought a set (pair) of Denali aux lights for a trip to France coming up. Seams straight forward plug and play until I get to the white “trigger” lead! It has a posi tap on the end. Where exactly does this go.
I have no other aux stuff like sat nav plumed in, just heated grips from new!!

Hi, Just bought PROZOR Motorcycle Headlights with Switch Motorcycle Front Spotlights 2 Piece 125W 3000LM CREE U5 LED Motorcycle Fog Lights. But no where in the specs does it give what amps they draw. I want to add them to my optional socket but don't want to damage the canbus. Ill invest in that cable splitter if the lights will work with that socket. Thanks

Hi, Just bought PROZOR Motorcycle Headlights with Switch Motorcycle Front Spotlights 2 Piece 125W 3000LM CREE U5 LED Motorcycle Fog Lights. But no where in the specs does it give what amps they draw. I want to add them to my optional socket but don't want to damage the canbus. Ill invest in that cable splitter if the lights will work with that socket. Thanks

Each light draws 1.25 amps to give 15 Watts per lamp.

So with a limit of 5amps for the optional socket. both lamps will only draw 2.5amps. 30 Watts. So what is the significance in the description "2 Piece 125W 3000LM" . I understand the 3000 Lumins. but what of the 125 Watts , Thanks

Do be sure to disable the strobing function or bods’ll think you’re a twerp or worse.

Thanks Wapping :beerjug: No strobing function on mine anyway. But tell me this , is it safe to connect them into the optional aux. socket that's under the seat. ??

Is it safe?

If I understand it correctly, you simply need a live feed, presumably one that switches off, when you turn the ignition off. The under seat socket, assuming somebody didn’t wire one directly to the battery, does switch off. So that ticks that box. It won’t blow up. What length of lead do you get with these Chinese works of art, as it’s quite a long way from under the seat to the sharp end of your awesome. You may find that you’ll need to extend the leads. That in itself is not difficult.

Ah! brilliant my friend.. I'm a dab hand at most things electric, was just concerned about the canbus on the bike, extending, soldering ect. no problem to me. Thanks again. I can now proceed with confidence. :beerjug:

Sorry but im new here and very confused....... who the heck is BuMW dealer and what part number is the splitter cable suitable for my 2011 R1200GS
TIA
Simon

It was a joke. BuMW, as a play on words with BMW. It was also common to reverse two of the letters, for example BWM.

I don’t know the number for the lead for the 1150 or even if there is one. Try the 1150 section, referencing this thread.

Back
Top Bottom