Shuck Raider's Flying Boat Ride Out.... Kesh

Jaws100

Reaction score
The Marble City (Kilkenny) ,South East Ireland
Thanks to all for a great weekend in Kesh and especially to the ever hardworking Mandy :clap

Many thanks to Arthur for a very interesting and informative local history lesson on the RAF flying boat locations and the great ride out on Saturday :thumb

A few pics from the run................
Kesh April 3-5th 2009 (16).jpg

Kesh April 3-5th 2009 (28).jpg

Kesh April 3-5th 2009 (30).jpg

Kesh April 3-5th 2009 (31).jpg

Kesh April 3-5th 2009 (17).jpg

Thanks arthur!

Due to circumstances beyond my control :eek I was unable to attend the weekend on the bike, so I brought the car instead.

First time I met Arthur....... very nice bloke........... and boy, does he know stuff............

The papperazzi swamped him for interviews

DSCF0058.jpg

Anyways........ I thought he was just going to talk about flying boats, but he actually arranged for us to see one in the flesh...... or the next best thing!

DSCF0072.jpg

The day was very informative.......... I'm sure that all who attended will agree, there are some things in our country's past, that we need to be reminded of...... so that they are never repeated

DSCF0063.jpg

I agree.

A great wee jaunt around and Arthur had obviously put a lot of time and effort into the tour with photos at each stop, getting the museum opened up etc etc. Really enjoyed the stories and was amazed that it has taken me so long to discover something so close to my own doorstep.

Thanks again :clap:clap:clap:clap

t

Thanks a mil

Arthur, thanks a mil for a great day out and sorry i called you roger for the entire weekend! wont make that mistake again:toungincheek

I really should be posting my thanks to you lot, it was a real pleasure to guide a group of folks who so obviously shared my own interest and enthusiasm in this particular aspect of local history. There's always a danger that things will get 'anoraky' but thankfully we managed to avoid that, I think, and the whole thing was great craic :D

Somebody, forget who, asked me for a copy of the photo of 'Straddle', 422 Squadron's mascot who flew a tour of 30 operations with the boys. Here he is with his medal in the mid-upper turret of a Sunderland.

Lots more pics and history on this website for those of you who asked about it:

http://sunderland1944.tripod.com/

Also a massive thread about RAF activities in and around Lough Erne on this forum. You may need to register to see the pix, or you can PM me and I'll send you my log-in and password :thumb

Attachments

• Straddle.jpg
    Straddle.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 508
:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2 cheers Arthur.

Just reading through some of the 'Castle Archdale Successes', incredible stuff!!

Oh, I forgot to post a pic of Donald, 131 OTU Squadron's mascot (taken after the fire in the Officers' Mess) :aidan

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 459
Castle Archdale

Gentlemen I found the thread via google , quite by accident.
I am the guy who put the thread on Wehrmacht Awards - it has been quite successful and created much interest.

The gent who run the other forum on CA is the grandson of Gerry fellows who so nearly sank U-672 and was so lucky to escape the premature detonation of 250 lbs of torpex as it fell from his aircraft , this saved 672 from certain destruction.

Arthur , I would be grateful if you could give me a call via the pm system or via the site websmaster - I would be delighted if you might be able to forward a copy of a phot of "Donald" - was he the duck from Boa Island's Sat. station at Roc Bay ?

Glad to see you had a good day out - I am not a biker myself , my brother in law is a well known biker in the Omagh area for Willie its a bad week if he does get out somewhere.

James, can't PM you via this site as you don't have subscribed membership . Have dropped you a PM on the WA site :thumb

My Dad (Now 86) tells me my Uncle Fred used to fly in Catalinas in the war in what he calls Coastal Command. Uncle Fred Joined up because Uncle Bill ws Killed (RAF) in Wellingtons I think and he wanted to avenge his brothers death. My Dad has visited the Grave of Uncle Bill but he doesnt know much about what happened to Uncle Fred except that he didnt come back from a mission one night. Dad says that Freds mum said on the night of his death "Hope our Freds not out tonight because its a horrible foggy night". Just wondered if any body might know how I might find out a bit more about Uncle Freds Death, Just for my Dad really...... :thumb2

Might i suggest for all who are trying to trace war records/ trace histories etc that you try the British Legion.. If U have a pic of your relative they can put it in their magazine, with a brief write up, and let the members view it ..

web.... www.britishlegion.org.uk
e mail...info@britishlegion.org.uk

199 Borough High St,
London SE1 1AA
tel.... 020 3207 2100

Magazine
tel 020 7880 6200
e mail... editorial@legion-magazine.co.uk

It might be worth a try.
Hope this will help you all..

Joe C..

Going to Fermanagh!

Shuck, I've just found this thread whilst doing some research for a trip to Fermanagh I have planned for August. I'd love to visit the museum at Castle Archdale, but comments above seem to suggest access might not be straight forward. I've failed to find a website for the museum, or the Country Park, that gives details of the museum. Do I need to book to get access?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Shuck, I've just found this thread whilst doing some research for a trip to Fermanagh I have planned for August. I'd love to visit the museum at Castle Archdale, but comments above seem to suggest access might not be straight forward. I've failed to find a website for the museum, or the Country Park, that gives details of the museum. Do I need to book to get access?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Andy, there will be no difficulty for your visit in August - our problem was that the Kesh event was the weekend before Easter and the Museum (officially!) only opens at Easter so I had to pull in a few favours to arrange access for the group.

There's a website here with some details and contact numbers for Castle Archdale Country Park. If you'd like further info, let me know here or by PM, only too happy to help :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom