Gutersloh

Dougster67

Reaction score
My father was in the RAF, and was posted to Gutersloh in 1977, i was just an infant, ive planned on tourng Germany in May and have made Gutersloh one of my destinations, i would like to go and see if the quarters are still there were we used to live. I cant remember the number but i know it was Topfer Strasse, can anybody who is stationed out in Gutersloh tell me if the houses there are still there, i cant remember much more.
Any info would be greatlyfully appreciated.

Thanx
Dougie

Just checked Google Earth and there appears to be plenty of buildings / quarters located in Topferstrasse.
I did a similar check with RAF Bruggen where I lived from 1968 to 1971 and even found my old house !!:thumb2

Last edited:
While on a trip to the Ring last year, me and my Brother visited Rheindahlen, where our Dad was SSM of 68 Sqn RCT for a number of years circa 1973. We were astounded to find the only change to the quarters we lived in were a coat of different coloured paint! It was like stepping back in time.

Thanks for the info guys, im looking forward to going over to Germany, and to see the old street i used to live in, it will be a trip down memory lane. :eek:onyack

I've just been looking on Google Earth for 17 BVD and 79 Railway Squadron RCT at Munchengladbach and it seems that 17 BVD at least has been flattened. I last visited there about twenty years ago and it was all standing there then but times change. It appears that Borussia Munchengladbach are building a new stadium in what was 17 BVD. M-G also seems to have changed at lot with the main drag in town from the Altstadt down to the Bahnhof pedestrianised.

My father was in the RAF, and was posted to Gutersloh in 1977, i was just an infant, ive planned on tourng Germany in May and have made Gutersloh one of my destinations, i would like to go and see if the quarters are still there were we used to live. I cant remember the number but i know it was Topfer Strasse, can anybody who is stationed out in Gutersloh tell me if the houses there are still there, i cant remember much more.
Any info would be greatlyfully appreciated.

Thanx
Dougie

i lived with the old man in Topferstrsse, 78 till 82 we lived on the left as you turned in cant remember the number, but we backed on to the open field behind and the canal, :thumb2

gut

I was in the RAF and in Guterlsoh 85 to 89 and lived in "Thomas Manne" strasse. Topfer strasse had a few quarters still going.

Great Camp. My only overseas tour in 36 years.

cheers

clive

Since we are all remembering days gone by.... my mum and step dad were also in Gutersloh..... last time I visited was about 1989....

he was REME, so attached to Mansergh Bks. Their house was in Kopernikus Veg......

(excuse the spelling.... working off memory here)

Nice place........ I remember visiting just after the first Gulf war....... the RAF guys came over for a games night, which I was a guest at.

The barman at Mansergh refused to take money off me all night.... I got really annoyed, cause he kept telling me that the round had been "taken care of"

At the end of the night my bro-in-law introduced me to him..... he was a little taken aback..... as I had apparently been drinking out of the RAF kitty all night.:aidan

So 15 mins after closing time I did the decent thing...... rang the bell and bought a drink for 20 or 30 guys........... stupid barman forgot to close the bar again after that :thumb2

The old street still stands, and of what i can remember it doesnt look much different.

P1000266.jpg

P1000268.jpg

P1000269.jpg

Back
Top Bottom