Mongolian Mayhem

Tiffany

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I turn my back for a moment and look at all the smut that appears on my thread.
Don't worry, I'll get my own back.

And yes, it's true I'll be setting off on my travels next month.
The destination decided on after some nameless GSers plied me with sveral glasses of wine at Wooky Hole (no smutty jokes please) last year and then said the immortal line "Where are you going next Tiff?" and I think I mumbled something about Outer Mongolia....:clap:clap:clap was the response.

Seriously though, I had been very ill in 2007/8 (as some of you know), and wasn't sure if I'd ride a bike again. I was hospitalised, then in a wheelchair for a while, six months unable to work and off my bike for a year - usually I ride Thelma everyday.
I've still got the arthritis as a result of my illness but I'm determined to head off once more. I'll be going through the 'Stans, heading to Mongolia, I'll be away for 5-6 months though I'm not sure how I'm getting back yet.:augie

I'm grown-up enough to finally get a website(see below) and obviously I'll be updating on here as well with my progress.
It looks like I could well be bumping into other GSers along the way.:beerjug:

I can't wait to get on the road - and yes, of course I'll be taking Thelma.

Good one, I thought it said Monaghan!
"In vino veritas" as they say in Monaghan..

Where's the website?

2years 3 months 4 days since last post

Careful Tiff.
With such prolific posting on here, you'll never find time to get away :toungincheek:toungincheek:D:D

Have a Great and safe ride on a PROPER BMW and look forward to the FULL ride report when you return.....:beerjug::thumb2

By massive coincidence, I've just this minute recieved our revised LOIs for Azerbaijan from Stantours. We are five, but there were six names on them:confused:...Tiff, you are the sixth!!

?????

Is that for real Tim?
not sure how that has happened unless you have massively changed your plans to go the Tiff way round?
anyway,the Azeri stuff might be academic still waiting to get word from Mr Sultan at the Uzbekistan Embassy - he apparently does not like my application for a visa and reckons there are discrepancies on it - I tried to explain that my whole life is a discrepancy! :beerjug:
he is pondering the matter and is going to let me know whether I am invited (take that as "summoned" for an interview) not top choice for me as that's 680 miles return journey just for a chat.
we shall see....:comfort

No, we plan to enter Azerbaijan around 25th July.
I'm sure you'll agree the hassle around sorting aperwork for this part of the world is unbelievable:comfort

Here's the LOI for 2 of the others in our group and you!:)

Attachments

• Copy of AZ new (2) copy (Small).jpg
    Copy of AZ new (2) copy (Small).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,711
I turn my back for a moment and look at all the smut that appears on my thread.
Don't worry, I'll get my own back.

And yes, it's true I'll be setting off on my travels next month.
The destination decided on after some nameless GSers plied me with sveral glasses of wine at Wooky Hole (no smutty jokes please) last year and then said the immortal line "Where are you going next Tiff?" and I think I mumbled something about Outer Mongolia....:clap:clap:clap was the response.

Seriously though, I had been very ill in 2007/8 (as some of you know), and wasn't sure if I'd ride a bike again. I was hospitalised, then in a wheelchair for a while, six months unable to work and off my bike for a year - usually I ride Thelma everyday.
I've still got the arthritis as a result of my illness but I'm determined to head off once more. I'll be going through the 'Stans, heading to Mongolia, I'll be away for 5-6 months though I'm not sure how I'm getting back yet.:augie

I'm grown-up enough to finally get a website(see below) and obviously I'll be updating on here as well with my progress.
It looks like I could well be bumping into other GSers along the way.:beerjug:

I can't wait to get on the road - and yes, of course I'll be taking Thelma.

You are still the only overland traveller that I respect :thumb2

No macho condescending bullshit and you JFDI

Have fun! :aidan

Azeri Matchmaking

I think I may have found out what is going on with the Azerbaijan visa- the Ministry has taken upon itself to do a bit of matchmaking and have decided I need to team up with some men - or at least on paper.:thumb
as my Dad says, I need all the help I can get - and he's referring to matchmaking not travelling:rob

Supposedly I will be able to enter the country OK on my own with the paperwork even though they are expecting others with me- which would be a bit tricky as they aren't travelling through for another few months, and err, I'm supposed to be there in... three weeks:eek:

hey ...see you in Mongolia

Hi Tiffany

I know that you and Lisa have been in touch - we are both hoping that we get to see you on this section. We plan to be in Mongolia a little earlier now - I think Lisa is hoping for the visa to start July 16th.....so we will be coming from Japan -to Russia- then Mongolia.....

We leave the USA for Japan on Lisa's birthday (June 9th) I think thats a deliberate ploy of hers to get a night in a hotel as a present!

keep in touch - best to use email as we check that more often than pms here.
Simon

I think I may have found out what is going on with the Azerbaijan visa- the Ministry has taken upon itself to do a bit of matchmaking and have decided I need to team up with some men - or at least on paper.:thumb

Foiled again:blast

Meeting Up

Hi Tiffany

I know that you and Lisa have been in touch - we are both hoping that we get to see you on this section. We plan to be in Mongolia a little earlier now - I think Lisa is hoping for the visa to start July 16th.....so we will be coming from Japan -to Russia- then Mongolia.....
Simon

Hi Simon
Yes, looks like we will be meeting up somewhere - either in Mongolia or on the road in Russia, as I don't think I am reaching Mongolia until mid-August.

It will be fantastic to see you both again:beer:, don't think I've seen you since I set off for Alaska and you guys had the cheek to head off before I got back to the UK.
look forward to having a few drinks and hearing your stories.

Long tall - long lost

Hey Tiffany,

It's your long lost long tall (American) friend Frank calling. I'm just finishing up another job here in the UK (Edinburgh). Sorry I haven't been in touch earlier, but the work kept my nose to the stone until just now! Finally coming up for air here, with no GS, but with hopes to hire a bike and travel this summer (see my Baltic tour query elsewhere). Sorry we lost touch. Can't wait to hear more of your travels. Ride safe, and drop me a line when you've got a chance (frankgresham@verizon.net)!!! See you down the road, and happy trails there in Mongolia!

Platinum Pig
Frank Gresham

Hey Tiffany,

It's your long lost long tall (American) friend Frank calling. I'm just finishing up another job here in the UK (Edinburgh). Sorry I haven't been in touch earlier, but the work kept my nose to the stone until just now! Finally coming up for air here, with no GS, but with hopes to hire a bike and travel this summer (see my Baltic tour query elsewhere). Sorry we lost touch. Can't wait to hear more of your travels. Ride safe, and drop me a line when you've got a chance (frankgresham@verizon.net)!!! See you down the road, and happy trails there in Mongolia!

Platinum Pig
Frank Gresham

Bloody hell
you go off on a trip and look who comes crawling out of the woodwork- Frank the Yank who was at Princetown a few years ago - catch up with you soon Frank/

In Georgia

Loving Georgia, It's not difficult-good wine (a bit hit and miss at first with that one), good beer :beer:and friendly people. I had my friend April with me for a week - US diplomat that I stayed with in Rio. She loved the bike travel side of things and was great company.
We went down to Armenia and she discovered just how cold bike travel can be - we seemed to be continuously at a high altitude for hours and hours. She had to wear my electric jacket and we battled on through the rain and wind, taking refuge in a small Kurdish village for the night.

Once the weather had cleared in the morning, we were amazed to see that we were surrounded by snowy peaks, no wonder it was so bloody cold who put those mountains there?:nenau

Back in Georgia now, April has flown home and I am sampling hot springs and mountain climbing in the South West whilst trying to avoid the bears and wolves as I camp out. Just been joined by an XT600 British rider- he saw Thelma parked on the road and guessed it was me in town. So, off for another beer and chats about routes, as Turkmenistan has closed its borders - damn, I was supposed to be taking the tour guide on the back of Thelma to save costs traversing Turkmenistan, I thought could be a bit of a laugh:D.
Now it looks like the looooong way around through Kazakhstan to reach Tashkent.

Who needs to know any geography to go travelling :D :augie

Keep it coming Tiff :thumb:clap:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom