Fitting fender extender

Big Nick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
To those that have fitted a front 'fender extender' have you used the screws supplied to fit it or simply glued it on?

I reckon just gluing will look neater (but obviously I don't want it flying off) so any advice on what brand of glue you used thats kept it attached would be appreciated!

Hi Nick. Use the silver cross headed self tapper glue, sorry screws! that come with it otherwise you will be buying another after you have lost or run over the original. Paint the screw heads black so they blend in better if you want.

Big S

Stuck mine on when i had a one fitted to my ST1300 with 'no more nails' adhesive. It was still on firm and secure when i sold the bike two years later.

I'll be doing the same when i get round to fitting one to the GS.

I roughed up both surfaces with sandpaper then araldited them together. I drilled 2mm holes for the self tappers and used them to hold it all together until the glue dried.

I can comfortably say it's never coming off.

Wish I'd glued mine on. Black screws rusted in 1 day and I can't find any stainless ones the right size to replace them. :(

Over the years, on many bikes, Tigers and various BM's I had many solutions to the problem of fitting a fendaextenda.

My last GS had it glued on by the dealer from new, don't know what the glue was, but it stayed stuck for the 2 yrs and 33000 mls I had the bike.

My current GSA has it fixed with the (presumably) supplied self tappers - it looks neat enough, but there is a problem in that the screws are pointy sharp inside the mudguard, and a wandering finger, say whilst cleaning, would risk being bloodied.

By far the neatest solution I had was on a 955 Tiger. This was fastened by black plastic pop rivets, with 5 or 6 mm heads - very neat and totally secure.
I have searched, but have been unable to find these rivets since.

Phil

PS I seem to have been fitting extenda's to fenda's since the early '80's -------------
Why the F don't they make mudguards that are long enough?
Even with an extenda you still get shite where it shouldn't be!

I've used Araldite after first scuffing up the surfaces with sandpaper

It appears to be stuck solid and looks neat

Time will tell if it stays put :eek:

On my V-Strom I used the self-adhesive pads supplied and also added some silicone sealant, and it stayed 100% solid for the 3 years I owned the bike.

I will do the same with the GS too. :thumb

Black, plastic pop rivets are obtainable from Ford dealers - they are used for fixing the body kits on XR2/3s.

I used a black polyurethane body panel sealant/adhesive. It worked well for a few years but I've recently noticed that I no longer have a fender extender. :(

The next one will have an M4 flanged dome headed screw and nut with large washers on each side along with the same glue as it will stop the parts fretting against each other.

FYI

Two very good glues if you ever have to stick a multitude of materials together are:

CT1 and Tiger Seal...............both great kit.

Back
Top Bottom