Faulty switches - water ingress

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
An intermittent fault can occur anytime from a few hours to a day or more after the bike gets a soaking.

My particular fault was that the left hand indicator would stay on and refuse to cancel - however I believe that any of the switches in the left or right switchgear could show similar faults - I have heard of one bike where the starter was operating continuously after being ridden in the rain.

I dismantled the left-hand switch cluster and the cause was plain to see - the thin rubber 'boots' which were mounted over the white buttons were perished. These boots are designed to keep water out of the buttons; they are made from a very thin, very flexible rubber and are very delicate.

I removed and discarded all of the damaged boots then liberally coated all the gaps around the white button tops and their sides with Dow Corning DC4 dielectric grease - this should keep the water from getting into the contacts in the future.

Oh - take care not to loose the little spring attached to the small plastic wedge - it sits under the light switch rocker and is essential to its operation.

My bike is an 05 standard 1200GS with just over 38,000 miles.

Attachments

• Image099 (Medium).jpg
    Image099 (Medium).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,169
You will need a very small torx driver with a long shank to dismantle the switch housing - sorry can't remember the size - will take a look in the garage and post the size later.

What a totally pathetic piece of design/manufacture.

How much weight did they save with that??:rolleyes:

If I had some PUA136 solution I could make a mould and manufacture my own replacement seals, I'd make a packet.

It's interesting to speculate on the reason/s why the 'boot's failed - could it be because:

(a) I used WD40 in the switches at some time and it reacted with the rubber?
(b) are they made out of the wrong or maybe faulty material?
(c) maybe they were in correctly assembled onto the buttons and the rockers pressed onto the rubber and damaged it?
(d) could they have been damaged by the Auto Glym motorcyle cleaner?

Hard to say - but a replacement LHS switch cluster costs £135!!!! and I would guess that the replacements would be no better; unless BMW has made some changes. It appears as though this part is made for BMW byt ITT industries - I would have thought that they would know how to make a reliable waterproof switch.

a replacement LHS switch cluster costs £135!!!! ............................. I would have thought that they would know how to make a reliable waterproof switch.

Sounds like a nice little earner for somebody.

Autoglym might be the answer, I would only use it on the engine and wheels.

Why can't they go back to making a rugged quality product with durable switchgear?

They did once upon a time, so how hard can it be?

This has happend to my right side indicator it works once in a thousand presses, so you say a generous helping of Dow Corning DC4 over the switches, and the problems gone, i dont mind to much the gear selection display showing 2 when in neutral when it gets wet, but i like my indicators to work when ever i need them, oh if you found the torx driver size that would be handy,

This has happend to my right side indicator it works once in a thousand presses, so you say a generous helping of Dow Corning DC4 over the switches, and the problems gone, i dont mind to much the gear selection display showing 2 when in neutral when it gets wet, but i like my indicators to work when ever i need them, oh if you found the torx driver size that would be handy,
Chris, have you used anything on your switches?

Good post Engineer :rob

Hi Ebbo
I haven't done anything to the indicators switch, not a thing, the fault started manifesting occasionally and grew until now it's all the time, i've been tempted to spray WD40 in there but so far have resisted, but the rubber boots disintergrating seems to make sense for the fault to occur,
oh where are my manners, thanks for the post Engineer

Why can't they go back to making a rugged quality product with durable switchgear?

They did once upon a time, so how hard can it be?

Run by accountants, that's the problems

Cheapest is best to them, as they have zero engineering knowledge

Sorry - I re-assembled the switch without noting the Torx driver size - DOH! However I know that you need a T10 to open the outer switch cover - The inner cover requires something smaller - I have a Teng Tools mini-screwdriver set and I am pretty sure that I didn't need the very smallest one (T5); so it must have been some where in between - I guess T7. The Teng Tools kit is very useful for this sort of stuff; it has mini flat bladed and cross heads as well as the Torx and costs around £15.

Do any of the moderators think that it is worth making this thread a 'sticky'?

P.S. I think that the gear selector reading problem is nothing to do with the handle bar switches - that 'well-known' problem is caused by the gear selector transducer at the rear of the gearbox.

So i gathered, i was wondering if coating that in Dow would do it, it's annoying on a minor scale, just feels good when everything works if you know what i mean,

So i gathered, i was wondering if coating that in Dow would do it, it's annoying on a minor scale, just feels good when everything works if you know what i mean,

If you could make sure that it was completley dry and then apply the grease it might work; but better to do a proper fix - I don't think it takes the dealer very long and even if the bike is out of warranty they might do a 'goodwill' fix.

Thanks for post Engineer, I had a four hour wet ride, and since then the main beam wont stay on, unless I hold the switch down I will have a little look. :thumb

Here is a clearer view of the perished rubber 'boots'.

Ekky thump, it must be the age:rob my 05 did the same thing last week. I thought the same as you, what a load of rubbish, my problem was the same
left indicator would not work, then it would be ok for a few turns and then not. Then it packed in altogether, stripped mine to find the button stuck solid.
Ordered new on Saturday.......Delivered to your door Sir for £148:eek::eek:

PS: i have not used any WD40 or the like on my switch gear either....

I'm so happy you took that apart and fixed it yourself. I was starting to think that noone did this to BMWs. In a previous post about lights not working I asked why they didn't try taking it apart

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180651
I was told
there is nothing to take apart in switch clusters on the 1200 bikes... They either go off or not..

Thanks for proving them wrong. I feel happier to have a bike I can fix, rather than just buy new parts for it.

You're a star.

Toby S

must be a common problem.. My (05) bike suffered on the RHS a month ago.. Bought a second hand switch, but have kept the old one without opening.. I 'll have a look inside!

Whats the best electric grease you guys reckon that will also suitably keep water out?

Back
Top Bottom