I Luv Ullapool!

Betty Swollocks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
From MasterBaker and myself..... a big thank-you for getting the 2009 GOC arranged in Ullapool. The venue was one of my fav places in the biking world..... been there many times before, but always am amazed and surprised by the many new places we visit.

Mrs Swollocks (yes she IS my wife..... no, she's neither my daughter , nor my sister..... )

hadn't been on the bike for about 3 years, so this was her getting back into things gently. Hence, we booked into a nice Guest house on the edge of town, with, her big Sis and her hubby (MasterBaker)

We left Norn Iron around 7.15 on Friday... getting to Troon at 9ish! We headed up the road for a bit before stopping for Brekkie!

P1020846.jpg

Rather than do the Erskin Bridge, we followed the coast up to the mouth of the Clyde and hopped on the wee ferry over to Hunters Quay........ This by-passes civilisation and gets you straight into the Highlands

P1020848.jpg

We met the infamous Scottish rain along the way.... found the road white, with slush and hail between Spean Bridge and the Commando memorial!

But at Fort Agustus, we stopped cause the swing bridge was open

P1020849.jpg

Wifey almost had a fit..... she jumped off the bike and ran into her all-time fav shop....the wee glass shop beside the bridge. We were over that way in the car two weeks ago and it looked closed down.... I was there last month on the bike and it looked like all had retired..... we even took a big detour to visit last August and it wasn't open...............

We breezed on through the rain and ever dropping temperatures.... and arrive in Ullapool..... as ever..... stunning....

P1020862.jpg

A quick change and the girls take the stroll into Town (between the showers)

P1020863.jpg

Dinner in the Caledonian Hotel was pre-booked a week earlier...... they knew nothing about us, so we had to wait an hour and a bit... still...... we had Flash, Kev and Tuned to entertain us......... and yes we are married and NO I am not a Paedo!

On a serious note... it was Rhonda's first time finding out what a bunch of Tossers I like to call my friends.

Anyways, we left the Hotel about 10.45pm. This was a view of the harbour. It really doesnt get dark up there till VERY late

P1020866.jpg

Next day, the girls hopped on the Inverness bus for some retail therapy... Colin and I binned our plans of mega mileage and settled for some sedate mileage out to Achabultie...... the views over to the Summer Isles were amazing...

P1020881.jpg

We found one pub.... had some liquid refreshments, but learned that food was not available due to some grand opening of the local, lottery funded playing fields.... We ended up in the Michelin recommended Hotel/restaurant known as the Summer Isles hotel

P1020894.jpg

Steak sandwich and cheeses were fantastic...., so we just stayed there in the sun for a few hours, supping the fine wines and Magners!

As we were about to leave, I spied a couple of faces I recognised..... Wullie and Fruitcake.... we had a great chat before saying our goodbyes...

P1020893.jpg

Met up with the wives and took in the beautiful sunset

P1020905.jpg

As for Sunday Morning..... sorry, but we missed the group photie...... met GC at the petrol station, but most of the other Tossers were long gone....
So we headed off onto the Wester Ross Trail..... Colin couldn't resist some wet riding on the "Bile Green 1100"

P1020916.jpg

We got a mixture of weather on the run over to Inverness, but, the girls had opted for the Flybe option..... 16.05 flight home to Belfast at only £30 each....

Meant me and Colin could do some sight seeing and get some photos of local Scottish wildlife..

P1020920.jpg

:nenau

:nenau

Then we did the decent thing and had to avail of the last two rooms at the Glengarry Castle Hotel........ As always, the best food I have ever tasted......

Up early next morn and a wee run up to Eilean Donan Castle.... followed by a very spirited return journey now that I had sussed the suspension settings on the GSA....

We headed down to the wee bridge that can be seen from the Invergarry viewpoint and visited Colin's old friend Geoff..... top bloke, who lives in the nicest place in Scotland...... house fronts onto the lough.... just at the wee bridge on the middle....

P1020967.jpg

He took us out for a couple of hours fishing...... caught me my first pike.... about 5lb! (also had me a monster, but he broke the line in about 15 seconds flat!)

Then a wee trout........ all in all, the perfect ending to a fantastic weekend..

It was you guys then.

Me and Popeye followed you past Lochlomond on the A82 something about those jessies looked familiar :)

Tried to find you in ullapool but failed miserably.

Good to see that you're back on the bike and that the 'war wound' has cleared uo :thumb Congrats on the pike :D

It was you guys then.

Me and Popeye followed you past Lochlomond on the A82 something about those jessies looked familiar :)

Sorry I missed you..... but was on my bestest behaviour!

Lovin the panniers.... in fact so much so, that I sourced MasterBaker a set on ebay. :thumb

Thanks for saying hello, good to meet you:thumb2
That loch is full o pike, not many brownies left as a result.
You did well catching 1 :clap

It was you guys then.

Richard,
If you couldnt find BS in Ullapool, are you sure you will be able to find Africa ? :D

Sorry I missed you..... but was on my bestest behaviour!

I thought an 1150 SE with jessies and an Irish 1100 together. Got to be your can't be that many SE with jessies over the water.

Richard,
If you couldnt find BS in Ullapool, are you sure you will be able to find Africa ? :D

Africa is a little larger than BS! Besides I was still traumatised. :rob

There possibly could have been an incident where BS or MB overtook a Peugeot 406 causing it to meet a wall (ok could also have been the old guy spazzing out) - on doing so pulling a boulder out of the wall the size of my head.

Me and my dad (Popeye) saw it. Ok he's not really my dad but if your Iranian he is.

Richard
I will pm you my mobile number to discuss your last......... def not aware of the boulder incident.

Your Jessies did the job this morning. They are now wrecked.

I was taking the bike to work, hoping to wash the Ullapool flies off at lunch time. Stoppped in rush hour traffic at a T junction waiting to go left, when a nice lady in a blue Peugeot decided she couldnt see me...... bike took a big hit in the panniers, busted rear mountings off, flipped me over the bars, norrowly missing oncoming traffic........ sitting at home licking my bruises. Had it not been for the panniers, the bike def would have been a lot worse.

BS

:eek::eek::eek:
Wow, really sorry to hear this BS.
Make sure you get yourself and the bike fully checked out.
I'm sure you know this already but it'll be tomorrow that everything will stiffen up and the full extent of any injuries will become evident.
Glad you were able to walk away though.

Wow. Sorry to hear that BS :(

Just to clarify I've spoken to BS and no he didn't cause a monster pile up! Before ye all start! Some poetic licence taken :p

Sorry guys.......... been off work for 9 weeks wi mecarpal tunne
. Felt a little guilty for a fortnight...... then this.....

FFS........

Glad to you landed on yer head, Stevie. Could have been a lot worse :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom