Are 17" wheels a good idea on an 1150?

didnt see anyone mention bad handling Paul?

just mentioned how bad they are offroad for damage?

and they look shit on a gs.

Harry

Well, so far your wrong on just about every point. :D

Coolcarbons bike with alloys really does look shite :rolleyes:

I've only the pictures showing my headguards, but there are pictures on the site showing the whole bike

I remember seeing off a 600 sports bike on an ADV with TKC's on. Lots of fun but he was a crap rider!

An R1 rider once baited me before feckin off; on his plate was the message "Eat Pie"...

Any sports bike will leave a GS for dead :rolleyes:. Even my K1100RS will toodle off into the distance.

I've had a couple of questions about the discs on the 3-spoke R1100R front wheel on my bike. I used standard discs from an R1100R/RS/RT - same as those from a K1 or K1100RS/LT which are all 305mm diameter (see below)

Attachments

• brake disc.JPG
    brake disc.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 558
If you’re getting wheels, tyres and discs for £200 it’s a bargain. Worth buying, trying and then flogging on if you don’t get on with them.

I’ve had three 1150’s and have ended up fitting 17” cast wheels to all of them. In my opinion the wheels transform the bike. Personally I love the looks. The bike sits a little lower which helps CofG but also handles much better. The front can feel a little light until you get used to it. I’d hazard a guess at something like 3-4K from a reasonably sporty rear tyre – more if it’s touring focused.

I fitted the wheels to modify the bike in accordance with my riding preferences. I have a set of wire wheels with TKC’s fitted should I feel the need to ride offroad. Most of my riding these days is touring on A and B roads with the a few passes chugged in for good measure. The 17” wheels work better on the roads that I ride.

Go for it:)

I like the look of that. Wouldn`t mind doing it to my 1100. Are the wheels as straight bolt on swap using the same discs?

i once had my arris well and truly kicked by guy on a knackered looking 600 bandit... a million years old, and there was me on my shiny new 955 Daytona.... as they say its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

also agree though haven ridden many sportsbike's over the years.... they are faster!.... sportsbikes that is!.....

Any sports bike will leave a GS for dead :rolleyes:. Even my K1100RS will toodle off into the distance.

Yip, It was the extra 70hp & 60mph that did it!:)

£200 sound cheap from what have seen before. Any more feedback on the mileage? Do you lose any clearance for cornering??

I always think the standard wheels go with the crap excuse for roads that seem to be the norm in the UK. More off road than on...

Even if it does get out of shape a bit the engine is not exactly scary is it;)

Got alloys on mine (and adventure tank) :thumb

Besides the nice handling it helps me touch the floor easier :p

Sometimes swap back to the wire wheels - longest part of this job is changing the front mudguard over.

I've done almost 30,000 miles on mine. The alloys turn the GS from a giant trailie into a sports tourer and gives it far better handling,grip,braking,stability,smoother ride,easier cleaning, a wider choice of tyres and better looks. All assuming that you're not going off-road which I'm not. I like Bridgestone BT-021's which are very good in the wet and dry. Having the 17" front wheel makes the bike turn in more quickly and changes direction better.The handling really is very good.The front end feels very planted and secure and this may explain why the front tyre only lasts about 6000 miles and the back about 7-8000 ! Anyway, it really depends on what you want from your bike, but I'm very pleased with mine.:)

Attachments

• 100_0038.jpg
    100_0038.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 481
I've done almost 30,000 miles on mine. The alloys turn the GS from a giant trailie into a sports tourer and gives it far better handling,grip,braking,stability,smoother ride,easier cleaning, a wider choice of tyres and better looks. All assuming that you're not going off-road which I'm not. I like Bridgestone BT-021's which are very good in the wet and dry. Having the 17" front wheel makes the bike turn in more quickly and changes direction better.The handling really is very good.The front end feels very planted and secure and this may explain why the front tyre only lasts about 6000 miles and the back about 7-8000 ! Anyway, it really depends on what you want from your bike, but I'm very pleased with mine.:)

It's nice that you're pleased with yours, but wouldn't it have been easier to just buy an R1150R ? :nenau

I've never really understood people who buy a dual sport bike and then take the dual capability away from it :confused:

It's nice that you're pleased with yours, but wouldn't it have been easier to just buy an R1150R ? :nenau

I've never really understood people who buy a dual sport bike and then take the dual capability away from it :confused:

I could have done, but I don't like the styling, riding position,reduced tank capacity,and general blandness of the R. It is very much a personal thing but my bike happens to suit my requirements very well (being 6' 5" has something to do with it). It could also be said and I know this is bordering on sacrilege but I can't understand why people own a trail bike and don't ever take it off-road (which is probably most owners, lets face it) Riding a bike on the road with trail tyres is always a compromise, which I would find frustrating and limiting.:confused:

Trail bike?

We hae all taken the things off road but they cannot really be described as a trail bike too bloody heavy as you will find when you drop it in a difficult position and especially with a load of camping gear on it!. I too don't know why people use kc 80's on the road they do handle ok even in the wet which amazed me remembering trials bikes from the sixties, one degree out of vertical on a wet road and disaster! but road work just wears them out very quick, look macho perhaps that's the attraction.
dave GS.

Speedy
no doubt you've been asked before, but which mudguard have you fitted to the front? looks great. In fact the whole bike does. :thumb2

Speedy
no doubt you've been asked before, but which mudguard have you fitted to the front? looks great. In fact the whole bike does. :thumb2

Looks like an R1100S front mudguard - just like mine:D

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 527
I've had a couple of questions about the discs on the 3-spoke R1100R front wheel on my bike. I used standard discs from an R1100R/RS/RT - same as those from a K1 or K1100RS/LT which are all 305mm diameter (see below)

Nice discs.... They going spare:D:D :nenau :bow

Looks like an R1100S front mudguard - just like mine:D

Correct....I think! Bike is a parallel import from Germany and was already converted when I bought it.:)

Back
Top Bottom