Are 17" wheels a good idea on an 1150?

Its a disgrace !!!

Out of the 4 pictures on this post. 3 of them feature geeesees with 17" cast alloy wheels OFF-ROAD.

We all know that this is impossible, and geeesses with such a wheel/tyre combination instantly fall over and seriously injure or kill the rider as soon as they are taken off a paved surface.

These pictures have obviously been photoshopped and being fake, without a warning attatched, may lead an unwary rider, foolish enough to fit these 'wheels of satan', to venture off the tarmac to his almost certain demise.

Sort it out mods .... before someone gets hurt.

best place to get a reasonably priced 17" front wheel 1150r1150rt1150rs, the back was easy but front used makes hens teeth look easy to get hold of.

Out of the 4 pictures on this post. 3 of them feature geeesees with 17" cast alloy wheels OFF-ROAD.

We all know that this is impossible, and geeesses with such a wheel/tyre combination instantly fall over and seriously injure or kill the rider as soon as they are taken off a paved surface.

These pictures have obviously been photoshopped and being fake, without a warning attatched, may lead an unwary rider, foolish enough to fit these 'wheels of satan', to venture off the tarmac to his almost certain demise.

Sort it out mods .... before someone gets hurt.

still got your "one of each" set up Den? :D

Ref 1200 wheel question no speedo drive. I wish to match front and rear. The gurus of the alloy world say best, easiest, and with speedo drive are 1150R/RT/ RS. So I have the 1150R 5 spoke rear,now I need its mate. I shall wait patiently then pounce when it comes up.:)

Takahe- I thought I read somewhere that there's only one 5 spoke front wheel that fits straight on, from the 1150R. Something to do with its the only one that has a speedo drive mounting. All the other 1150's have electronic speedo's.

The others fit, but you have to either have them machined to accept the speedo drive, or fit an alternative speedo.

Hopefully someone will be along to confirm this.

From info gleaned from alloy gurus this site
R1150RS/RT/R 5-bolt 116.5mm Speedo drive will fit 1150gs no machining.
I note that you looked at this conversion from previous posts. Have you got an 1150r(not rockster) 5 spoke 17" front to sell or RT/RS?
Cheers Paul.

How much does the front end drop with the 17" wheel but presumably bigger tyre?

I find that I have bits scraping the floor on standard original style Tourances if I'm trying hard and I'd be concerned that the heads would go down far too easily with a 17" front wheel and no other mods.

How much does the front end drop with the 17" wheel but presumably bigger tyre?

I find that I have bits scraping the floor on standard original style Tourances if I'm trying hard and I'd be concerned that the heads would go down far too easily with a 17" front wheel and no other mods.

It drops it about an inch. Why would you assume that the tyre is bigger? The standard 19" front uses an 80 profile tyre while the 17" front uses a 70 profile so the 17" tyre is actually 'smaller' in terms of height than something like a Tourance (70% of 120mm is slightly less that 80% of 110mm).

But if you make the bike lower it (theoretically) needs to lean less for a given corner speed/radius and I doubt you'll notice any difference. I did a couple of track days on an 1150GS with alloys and although I could get the head guards touching down I wouldn't call it a problem - just lean off further. Anyway, for a track day you'll jack your rear preload up which will tend to give you more clearance.

I would add that after the novelty wore off I realised that the wider rear tyre associated with alloy wheels slows the steering down noticeably. I reverted to standard wheels, initially with BT020s and then back to Tourances and much preferred the way the bike rode.

Your comments noted Sproggy,but as I am not a riding god, scraping the heads is not a worry. As you reverted to spokes have you still got the alloy wheels?
If so are the 5 spoke and from which bike; and is the front with speedo drive for sale please??????????

Your comments noted Sproggy,but as I am not a riding god, scraping the heads is not a worry.

My comments were in response to Packer's concerns in that respect.

As you reverted to spokes have you still got the alloy wheels?

No, I sold them on here years ago - they were fitted to my first 1150. Sorry.

If so are the 5 spoke and from which bike; and is the front with speedo drive for sale please??????????

They were 5-spokes (I don't like the look of the earlier 3-spoke wheels), the rear off an 1100S and the front off, from memory, an RT. With a speedo drive.

You might find this helpful in determining which wheels will be suitable:

http://www.largiader.com/parts/wheels.html

Thanks Sproggy, I was just commenting on my non head scraping abilities mate.
I have the dcument doewnloaded already hence my ref 1150r/rs/rt all with speedo drives
Thanks all the same for the input. Just need inexpensive front now.LOL:beerjug:

I've got one - they're cool as fuck.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 615
I've got one - they're cool as fuck.

Very old thread, but do you remember what front mudguard that is?

I’m getting back on a GS and want to fit the cast wheels like my old GS but the Boxer-Designs mudguard seems not to be available anymore

The original front mudguard can be modified to suit the 17 in wheel.
Its been over 10 years since I did the conversion without any problems.

Hi there, I have included a pic of what I believe to be the correct fitment rear wheel, and I wondered whether the matching wheel that was fitted to the front of your bike also had the lhs speedo drive? Sorry to be a pain! Regards Brodie

Attachments

• 2045DB5B-F37E-4B05-97C6-C00FDC3E9E0D.jpg
    2045DB5B-F37E-4B05-97C6-C00FDC3E9E0D.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 8EEE9FF1-601F-413C-9EB6-7CCCACFFF2AF.jpg
    8EEE9FF1-601F-413C-9EB6-7CCCACFFF2AF.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 359

Yeah, but not offence, the smaller ones look better

Hi guys. As well as using my 1997 R1100GS off road, I also enter a Twisty Sprint with it. Last time I did it on standard wire wheels and trail tyres. Lots of fun if not grip.
For this year I would like to fit alloys and very sticky tyres. I don't care about looks or speedo drive and I can live without abs.
What model wheels should I be looking for exactly please.

Back
Top Bottom