Still below the Stratosphere......

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have you ever............

Shared a drink in a restaurant with the liveliest , best looking 76 yr old woman you'll ever meet who also drives a red BMW convertible with the plate LOL 1 ( little old lady, get it)?
Kept a straight face whilst a great looking waitress embarrassingly tried to explain to the dumb englishmen exactly what a "muff" was! Well it was written on a sign so I asked!!?
Ridden along a gorgeous river larging it whilst rafters and kyakers shoot the rapids 50ft below you?
Met the friendliest priest, Father Ed originally from Dublin and just passed his bike test. Who took time out to show you around one of the oldest Missions in the US which also featured prominently in the Hitchcock movie Vertigo?
Been asked to try ringing the bells in the bell tower of aforementioned mission to summon the 10am Sunday congregation. A real honour.?
Ridden around Monterey Bay and then after finding the start of the 17mile drive around Pebble Beach being told "No bikers!"
Apparently the 2300 residents of Pebble Beach wont allow it. Seems my $8.25 (toll fee) is no good if I am not in a car?
Sat on the beach at Carmel by the Sea?
Ridden the best coastal road on the planet ( my opinion) down Highway 1 to the Big Sur?
Camped out on a beach on the Big Sur?
Watched the sun set over a mill pond still Pacific Ocean (after re-riding bits of Highway 1 again and again) overlooking some of beautiful coastline from the "Whalewatchers Cafe". In January 50+ whales a day pass this bay during their annual migration!
Visited "the place" to be invited to in the twenties and thirties, the amazing Hearst Castle. Hearst's "small ranch" being set in merely 250,000acres . His big ranch had 1million acres!!?
Visited Willow Springs Racetrack ( they wouldnt let me ride it!) "The Fastest Racetrack in the West"?
Been denied access to Edwardes Air Force Base?
Been allowed access to China Lake Naval Air Base Museum and given an overview of some of the amazing weapons testing facilities they have there?
Ridden from the south right up H14 and into "Death Valley" ? (Bit scary at first because you are riding alone, its desolate and fairly quiet until you take thew junction east to Stove Pipe Wells)
Ridden in 45 degrees C?
Ridden at night into the city which must have the largest electricity bill of any city in the world?
Seen the biggest hole in the ground in the world, a mile deep and 21 miles across in places?

If you think I am having too much fun then you'd probably be right.

Still there are the lonely moments and its apparent that the cities are not really much fun if you are on your own. The National Parks and camping out are much more fun and sociable too. They are like small communities and someone always wants to hear what you've been up to, share some food/beer or a fire. Like the couple I met from Portland Oregon who sold their house , left their jobs and bought a mid sized RV to tour the West just looking for somewhere nicer to live!! Great.

Most days recently have been approx 250 to 300 milers and one 400 miler ( when I did Death Valley)

One more night in Vegas and then its off to see all of the National Parks between here and Denver!!

See ya .......................

All the best,
Ian

Back
Top Bottom