Do's and don'ts of Salisbury Plain

Salisbury Plain

Hi

I would like to go for my first outing to Salisbury Plain.

We will be travelling up from the Southampton area by van.

Please could somebody advise a suitable place where we can park up, unload the bikes, and then access the Plain.

Even better, does someone have a planned route for a reasonable days riding, that I may pilfer:augie

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Dazlove

I will probably aim to get out there in the next few days if I can. (took the time off work so it should be relatively quiet).

I normally park at Larkhill Church car park or the Solstice Services (tell them inside that you want to leave your trailer/van there and they are normally happy and have kept an eye in the past for me - helps if you also buy your lunch from there too :)

There are a couple of parking spots up from a byway from Netheravon. If you have a trailer - make sure you padlock it on to something unboltable on the car.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Will have a look at the maps to plan a route from there.

Just managed to get the first 3 hrs on my new 530 EXC, so just serviced it.

Just itchin' to get out now!

Regards

Dazlove

A good day out

Just to say.....

Finally got to take the 530 out onto Salisbury Plain on Friday.

Parked up on the BOAT adjacent to Stonehenge Car Park, and off we went on a pre-programmed (Memory-Map Adventurer 3500) loop which we managed twice.

Had an absolute blast with all types of terrain. The ruts on some of the runs took a bit of getting used to!

We even laughed when I christened the new bike......that puddle can't be that deep....oh bugger I can't see the front wheel...took two of us half an hour to extract her, but she fired up OK after.

Only saw 3 other bikes all day.

Will certainly be planning another day out and will upload the route for others wanting to take the plunge.

Best regards

Dazlove

Isn't that BOAT TRO'd at the moment? :augie

Glad you enjoyed it... Give me a PM next time, I may tag along..

I am surprised that you found any water at all, it was like the Atacama desert when I was last out on the plain and I cant remember any rain since last year :augie

TRO

Isn't that BOAT TRO'd at the moment? :augie

Glad you enjoyed it... Give me a PM next time, I may tag along..

I think pretty much all of the BOATs in the area are under threat with a TRO looming in the near future. I think the objections need to be in by either the end of May or End of June, just what I had heard.:( Probably worth dropping a line to the local TRF, who should have the details to hand.

Just to say, that we should all get involved to stop this sort of thing happening. A recent case in Surrey, meant two lanes being closed, but do to a massive amount of objections, the proposed TRO's were quashed. I have no doubt this was assisted by the TRF calling in all members to help.

Back to your question, there weren't any signs up, and we were directed there by the Stonehenge parking assistant, and the lane had alot of cars all parked along it.........Sods Law, though, they would target the solitary bike!

Will keep an eye out on the TRF site, but certainly look forward to many other trips on the Plain..........just off now to fit some 17"s to get some road work in:augie

Best regards

Dazlove

Just Checked

FYI

Just had a look on both the Wilts Definitive Map and Trailwise and the track (AMES12) is still a legal BOAT.......for now!

Regards

Dazlove

Just to say.....

Finally got to take the 530 out onto Salisbury Plain on Friday.

Parked up on the BOAT adjacent to Stonehenge Car Park, and off we went on a pre-programmed (Memory-Map Adventurer 3500) loop which we managed twice.

Had an absolute blast with all types of terrain. The ruts on some of the runs took a bit of getting used to!

We even laughed when I christened the new bike......that puddle can't be that deep....oh bugger I can't see the front wheel...took two of us half an hour to extract her, but she fired up OK after.

Only saw 3 other bikes all day.

Will certainly be planning another day out and will upload the route for others wanting to take the plunge.

Best regards

Dazlove

Hey Dazlove
I'm hoping to go to the plains fairly soon for the first time. Do you still have any of the tracks available?

Do you think a 990adv will be able to handle the route you took?
Cheers:thumb2

Salisbury

Hi Pumbaa

I would think the 990 would be fine.
Only issue we had was when I buried my 530 in deep water and took 2 of us to drag it out.
Not sure how much more the 990 weighs!
I have tried to attach a couple of the routes we used.
They are in Memory Map format.

Best regards

Dazlove

Attachments

• Salisbury1and2.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 269
Hi all. I'm currently in a van en route to Salisbury with the dirt bikes in the back. Very last minute. Anyone got a good starting point to leave the van? I need to purchase a map somewhere too? I can see the closed lanes on the Wiltshire council site but struggling with their map of the area.

You can leave your van pretty much anywhere around Tidworth/Bulford

There are dozens of Byways crossing the plain but issue is finding the legal ones when you get there. The military go wherever they fancy and this, of course, leaves a track that can easily be mistaken for a legitimate trail and you can end up off piste all too easily. It doesn't help that many of the official Byway signs have been flattened into the chalk by tanks and Landrovers :blast

Respect the plain and you will be fine :thumb2

Enjoy your day :clap

Hi all. I'm currently in a van en route to Salisbury with the dirt bikes in the back. Very last minute. Anyone got a good starting point to leave the van? I need to purchase a map somewhere too? I can see the closed lanes on the Wiltshire council site but struggling with their map of the area.

Get yourself to Brigmerston, there is a wide tank track (West to East) with a concrete apron on a uphill slope, go east (ish) along there for around 300yds and there is a parking area on the right.

Anybody know if the plain is open on the saturday-sunday 22nd-23rd April ? Anybody else going down?, also anywhere to stay nearby with secure bike storage?cheers Pauly

Back
Top Bottom