80 virees a moto

Hi and thanks for all your hard work.

I have been downloading these to Tyre and converting them to TomTom routes.

Its a bit hit and miss and some of the routes have strange off shoots which mean the route goes in and out on some routes. Is it supposed to do that.

Any chance you have the routes in TomTom format. I know its asking a lot but you seem a pretty organised sort of person.

I don't have a TomTom I'm afraid.

I guess that the 'offshots' are either:

(a) Where two or more routes overlap

(b) Are literally offshoots, ie. where I have put in interlink roads, to join two or more routes together. For instance, to offer a suggested way of cutting a corner. They may also be roads to suggesested view points.

If bods want to tidy the routes up, I suggest they download the PDF route plans and then get busy with the rubber.

One other idea.

The ViaMichelin website now has all of the routes available as a .gpx file.

I don't have the webaddress at the moment. But, from memory, it's where they hide away the links PDF versions of the routes

You should be able to download the .gpx to your PC and (I think) open it up in TomTom straight away.

Thinking about it again, one of the reasons why you may be getting strange 'offshoots' is that the Mpasource maps and the TomTom maps may not match exactly. What I think Tyre does is convert a standard Mapsource file (readable by Garmin) into a .gpx file. It then tries its best to convert it into a file format that is readable by a TomTom. Two or three stages of conversion. If the via point I created was not exactly on the same road in TomTom, then the conversion may well do its best to join it up with others that are.

Don't forget that these are often big routes of several hundred miles, sometimes down smallish roads, it's easy for an error to creep in.

Rather like a bod giving you instructions to their house: "Well, you go down the road for a mile or so, then across the mini-roundabout, then right at the lights... no wait a minute, right at the lights, THEN across the miniroundabaout... on for about a mile, you should see I think it's Tesco on the right, No? Ah, she tells me it's the post office... anyway, before I was interrupted, you carry on for about a mile or so and... oh, I'm sure you'll find us.... bye" None of which you have listened to anyway :D

Just found this thread. And thank you for your efforts (although I get the impression that you enjoyed yourself, much in the same way that I can spend hours just poring over a good detailed map)
Anyway, my question: as a newby to mapsource/Garmin, do you recommend the routes that you posted, or is it actually better to go direct to the Michelin link? Are there pros and cons for both and which is best for the proverbial numpty?!!!!

Is there a large scale map that I can download that shows all the (now) 100 routes? Am on a short holiday in the Somme soon and wanted to see what is available for that region and the Ardennes

I am not sure that I understand your question... But here goes....

The routes are all individual, loaded up onto single Mapsource files.

I created the 80 or more individual routes, then divided them into single files, which between them divide France into roughly four quarters. I also made one file covering the Black Forest and I think one just for the most popular Alpine routes. There is also one giant file with ALL the routes somewhere. I have lots of routes for the Ardennes, but really cannot remember whether I have ever posted them up. If I have it will be on the ALL the routes file.

Simply find the file you want, open it up, look at the routes, chose the one(s) you want, copy them and then play around with them on your computer at home.

You will of course need either Mapsource or Basecamp to view the files. Had I created the routes in a .gpx format you would have been able to view them in say Google maps.... But I didn't..... I wish I had and one day I may just convert them all.... But until then....

I only have the 80 routes that Wapping posted

Can you post the link to the latest Michelin routes please and I will have a look

I only have the 80 routes that Wapping posted
Ditto, I have the same 80 routes, for which I'm greatful to Wapping for his efforts.
Can you post the link to the latest Michelin routes please and I will have a look
Thanks it would be good for someone else to have a look, because when I clicked on the gpx links all I got was a series of lat/long numbers
Here goes:
http://www.viamichelin.fr/tpl/fr/magazine/statique/art201302/htm/guide-virees-moto-2013.htm
I'm hoping Michelin may have corrected some of the errors in the pdf's in this edition

If you want to look him up he is over the road at the ABR forum sometimes:thumb2

As instructed on that link, and becsue I am on an Apple Mac, I can downlod the GPX files by ctrl-click. And then opening the downloaded file opens it up in Basecamp.

I need to work out what ones I do not already have. I guess it is the ones labelled Novemeber 2012

Having said that, I did a very quick count of the files/links given and it came to 97, not the 100!

I seems I may have figured out the answer to my problem.
Unlike the the alpes e Moto where I was able to click onto the gpx link it enabled me to download the gpx file. When I clicked onto to GPX file link of any of the 100 routes it took me to a page with a huge list of Lat/Long co-ordinates for that route. However when I right clicked onto the same file and selected "save as" & in the name box it showed the .xls file extention. If I changed the .xls to .gpx and selected "all files" then "save" I was able get the file I was after and open it in mapsource. So hopefully over the next few weeks I'll be able to download All the 100 files & maybe upload them to Dropbox

When you download the routes, take a bit of care before you use them.

They will very probably not follow the roads exactly. There are two possible reasons why:

(1) They are sometimes created from tracks, themselves based on (sometimes) unreliable GPS signals.

(2) They were created from different maps.

You may well need to recalulate them in BaseCamp or Mapsource and / or trace over them again.

The sites for the downloads appear not to be functioning - anyone got an up to date linky?

I probably need to reload them into Dropbox.

In the meantime, anyone can download all the routes and more from the Michelin website.

Sorry Richard, I wasn't clear - I meant that the Michelin sites are not working

Back
Top Bottom