80 virees a moto

Sorry Richard, I wasn't clear - I meant that the Michelin sites are not working

Michelin have taken down the site, sadly.

With some very quick help from Paul, who owns the UKGSer site, I have made contact with Pierre O'B who posts some useful hints and tips on touring on these pages. By happy chance he still has copies of the original files, which he has kindly agreed to share with me. I plan on recreating the full 100, this time in BaseCamp and scrub the whole lot up, maybe adding in the hotels as recommended by BiKE's Simon W in another thread and / or bringing in some other ideas I want to try out. If nothing else, I thought I might arrange them differently, where possible allocating each route into France's political regions:

france-political-map.gif

I might also have a go at adding in RiDE's suggested ways to get to places and areas, just to see if it works.

It will take a while if I am to do it properly, so be patient please.

Richard

PS If anyone has any suggestions as to what they would like to see added into the routes and / or how they'd like to see them arranged or displayed, ping up your ideas here, please. I will see what I can do, subject to the limitations of posting the final results into the forum.

Michelin's 100 Virees a moto book now seems to be out of publication, which is a pity. That being said I do see them from time to time in French bookshops and even one or two in German petrol stations. I can only recommend that bods snap one up if they see it on a shelf. Yes, it's 'in foreign' but it was nicely published and good of Michelin to create it in the first place.

The 100 virees à moto files should have merrily found their way to Wappings inbox, along with the equivalent files to match the Michelin "Les Alpes à Moto" book, and with 100 GPX and 100 pdf files in the 100 virees alone I don`t envy the task Wapping has set himself in updating the info.
The ISBN for the 100 virees à Moto book is: 978-2-06-718148-9
The ISBN for the Les Alpes à moto book is: 978-2-06-718149-6

I wasn't surprised Michelin have taken down the files due to the fact that around June/July they closed down their online bookshop/Boutique and made some dramatic changes to their website

You guys deserve a medal for that.
I assume there will be no copyright issues.

Right ho....

I've received all the files from Pierre, so definitely grateful thanks to him. I have had a play around with one route just to remind myself what's the best way to proceed. It was actually one of Michelin's Les Alpes a moto routes, simply as I had the book to hand.

The Michelin .gpx routes come in as tracks, with loads of waypoints in them; effective but ugly to look at. I used BaseCamp to instantly convert Michelin's track to a route, which (near enough) matched the track. I then pulled the freshly created route around just a little so that it matched the track exactly. In BaseCamp, the pulling around creates small waypoints (ugly again) which I then converted to shaping points. I then deleted the Michelin track, which got rid of its loads of waypoints. I then created a fresh track from my new route. I did this for two reasons:

(1) Some bods like to load tracks and routes into their GPS devices. Having both will help them do just that.

(2) Using a track, I can start - at some later date - to play around in BaseCamp's Garmin Adventure software, which has all sorts of things up its sleeve. My hope is to use it to create some additional bells and whistles. It'll take lots of time to create the Garmin Adventures but it'll will be worth it I hope, though I doubt if I will ever recreate them all as Adventures.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q63tB6nBU2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My first job though is to create all the routes so that bods can use them, just as Michelin hoped they would. I'll share the first one in this thread, just so bods can have a look and check that it works OK. I'll also share the Garmin Adventure version, again so that bods can see what it looks like. By all means feel free to comment and / or suggest improvements. I'll do my best to accommodate them.

PS The video clip shows how well BaseCamp can and does work on a Mac. Other users' experiences may differ.

Am I missing something? In my Basecamp I already have all the 80 'Michelin Virees a Moto" routes and 23 'Michelin Alpes a Moto" routes.

Just checked a few and they are 'waypoint' lite and "won't alert" heavy. Not that I can be certain that they are routes, rather than tracks, as I do not know how to spot the difference. And, for the life of me, I cannot remember where I downloaded them from, but I would have sworn blind that it was from UKGSER

Happy to pass them on if they are of help

btw, the 80th 'Michelin Virees a Moto" route is "80. Vichy to 54 Rue de la Barge which is a circular running SE out of Vichy and then back

Yup, you have them and you'll have downloaded them in all probability from here (see the stickies). Assorted reasons for looking at them again, Paul.

1. I want to finish the job I started, taking the 80 up to the full 100. The first increase from 80 towards was when Michelin included Corsica, those I did do. Then there was another increase, to the mid-90's, finally topping out at 100.

2. I want to tidy them up. The versions I made were in Mapsource; I made the routes very nearly mile by mile following the route card instructions, so there is a mass of flags.

825652328_42Ta3-X2.jpg

I want to get rid of the flags, which is easy enough in BaseCamp.

3. I wanted to get hold of the original master gpx files. In all truth I probably have them but they are on a very unstable PC, so rather than risk turning the thing on, I managed to get a full copy from P'o'B

4. I want to create some fresh tracks, to play around in Garmin Adventures

Cheers, Richard

You guys deserve a medal for that.
I assume there will be no copyright issues.

There are massive copyright issues that everyone is politely not mentioning. However, just in case anyone is not mentioning them because they genuinely don't understand, I'll clarify that all published work - which includes the route information in the books AND in the GPX files published on the various websites - is copyrighted material, with the copyrights owned by the respective publishers (in the case of the 100 Virees book, that's Michelin; in the case of the stuff on the RiDE website, it's Bauer). Reproducing it without the publisher's consent is an infringement of their copyright and they could if they were so minded take legal action as a result. There are many reasons why they might not do so – ignorance of the reproduction being at the very top of the list; not seeing any harm or indeed perceiving a reputational/marketing benefit being another, if due credit is given (as is generally the case on here); the cost and trouble involved in taking action versus damages recouped being another (though an instant take-it-down notice would be cheaper and quicker to impose). I can't speak for Bauer, who hold the copyright to everything I do, never mind Michelin, but I would have thought it unlikely that they would ever bother taking action. However, please don't think that it's ever perfectly fine and legal to reproduce other people's published material without consent. It isn't.

Setting copyright aside, most people don't download ALL the files when give the opportunity to do so & only download a handful of the routes that are specific for their annual jolly.
The problem arises when they start planning their next trip and they`re disappointed to discover the publisher has taken down the web page, and the raw files are no longer available, and the book is out of print. I suspect I`m in a minority because I did download all the files to compliment the book that I bought.
My POV is that sharing those files between forum members, and on this forum should help preserve them, however as they where originally published in 2013 some of the details will have changed, roads are improved or closed, landmarks change etc, so Wappings efforts should bring them up to date in time for 2017 for the benefit of all.

If the forum admin/owner isn`t comfortable with the site hosting the files due to potential copyright/legal issues, now is the time to voice an opinion

Richard and Peirre, a massive thanks for what will be a very valuable resource.

Hi Richard & Pierre,
Is it possible that you could share the original Michelin files for '100 virees a moto' and 'Les Alpes' at all please?
I bought copies of both the books back in 2013 when I was in Paris, but back when I didn't have a sat nav so didn't download the files.
I'm planning to go on a little holiday within a few weeks, and had planned to use the books / routes.
If you don't mind, I would be very grateful and of course beers on me if I ever have the pleasure! :)
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom