17/05/04 I'm sick , the bike is even sicker!

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in Loveland , Colorado. I'd rather be 200 miles+ north of here though but i'm not because the bike is broke!

I am resting in a motel with a tummy bug and the bike is resting in a BMW dealership with a front brake problem. The Left caliper is sticking and this brought me to a complete halt yesterday 10,500ft up a mountain in Rocky Mountain National Park. Not good.

Riding down the mountain I had noticed a funny smell and thought it was from the vehicle in front, as i reached a slightly more level bit of road I realised that the engine was struggling to pull the bike along. Realising there was a problem I stopped to find that one disc was almost glowing, the caliper was red hot and so was the lower fork leg. The bike couldn't be pushed.

I let it cool and played about with pads using my Leatherman and I was able to head a bit further down the mountain to the nearest town. The only m/cycle repairer had shut down and most other places in nearest towns ( 25miles south and 30miles n east respectively) would be shut 'cos its Sunday. I ring my sister in UK and using the internet she finds a BMW dealer in Fort Collins 45 miles away so I head there to find it. Twice I had to stop to free the brake. I even visited a jet wash in case it was grit/desert sand causing the problem.

Drats, its 6pm and the BMW dealer is no longer there. I find a local independent and check into a motel for the night 3 miles away. I'll go back in the morning.

Next morning I visit him, he cant help BUT he knows where the BMW dealer is now located, rings , confirms they can look at the bike and off i set , its 10-15 miles away.

"Sorry, the mechanics don't work on a Monday" is my greeting when I arrive!!!! One mechanic is in the back fixing his own bike, he won't get involved in my problem other than to say " you never get a problem with just one caliper sticking on a GS, never heard of it"........well you have NOW!!!!

I discover that there are NO BMW dealers in the next state I will visit and the nearest dealer to here is about 300miles away! So, I cant even spend the day carefully plodding further down the road to get closer to my next destination - Badlands National Park.

To the rescue comes David from sales who gets Jason the General Manager involved and before you know it thay have opened up the workshop , wheeled out a 200 mile old GS1150 and said "borrow this until tomorrow and we will take a look at yours first thing in the morning and get you back on the road ASAP." GREAT....for that kind of service you dont mind paying a little extra. ( thats before I see the bill of course) Thanks Northern Colorado BMW and Ducati................

I am holed up in a Comfort Inn for the night ( 2 nights if the bike needs parts) its more than I wanted to spend but its got FREE internet access, a pool and a hot spa PLUS although Angela on reception couldnt give me a discount she gave me a suite because she loved my accent. The women really seem to dig it especially if you turn on the charm a bit.

Will try to post a few more updates later today giving details of my escapades in the last 2 weeks. I have now covered over 5,500miles on the bike , seen almost everything in the South West and met some great folks. I may even be able to post some pictures. STAY TUNED!!!

Ian

Back
Top Bottom