13/05/04 to 14/05/04 S**t its freezing!!

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
13th of May Moab ( Utah) to Denver ( Colorado) 375 miles

Left Moab around 11am after meeting a couple in a photo shop on vacation from New Hampshire. They had been moutain biking the day before and showed me a picture thay had taken of dinosaur tracks in the sandstone rocks. Yes, they were genuine. Dinosaurs roamed the wildernes in Utah millions of years ago, there are several Dinsosaur Museums in the area and a few hundred miles away there is Dinosaur Natl Park/Monument.

As i headed down the interstate the clods over the rockies looked ominous so I stopped in a place called Parachute for lunch and out a layer on over my t-shirt when I left. I stopped in Glenwood Springs but decided against a detour to Aspen as it was late afternoon and I didnt need a 100 mile excursion.

As IU got close to Vail I went thru my second snow cloud and needed to stop and put the thermals on. I really layered up , excessive at the time I thought but it was not!

I visited Vail not much snow, but then climbed to Vail Pass ( 10,660ft) where was quite a bit. From there you climb to nearly 12,00ft and enter the Eisenhower Tunnel at which point there was snow on the road, temps were below zero and I was seriously cold. 5 miles down the road I could go no further. I was FREEZING. 3 weeks of 25+ temps ( and many days 30+) had not prepared me for this. The bikes windshield was totally covered in ice so was the headlamp and the wing mirrors. My REI thermometer said that with windchill temps were around -40oC so now wondwer I was cold!! I took me an hour to thaw out in the garage.

I finally stopped in a pleasant suburb of East Denver at 7.30pm and checled into a Motel.

14th Of May Denver

I spent the day doing chores, laundry, photoshop, Library for internet access etc adn visited a bookstore. i will stay another night here. Tomorrow I travel to Estes ParK via Boulder.

Ian, looking at some of your spelling I would guess that your tiny fingers are still frozen, either that or you have come down with Bakerman Spellcheck syndrome:D

Hope you warm up, enjoy the rest of your trip:beerjug:

Yeah,

The spelling is a typing issue, someonelse was waiting to use the only system available and I had to rush off so I couldn't check my prose.

Just re read it and its quite funny. "Clods" etc , even whole words missing. Hey ho.

Apologies Keith! Further excuses if required - it was 11pm here, I havent eaten for 24hrs due to a tummy bug, i'm stupid!

See you down the Ace sometime. I hope to pop down from the North West in July/August..........

Ian

Back
Top Bottom