29/05/04 After Utah I went to Colorado

Rushy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I stayed in a suburb of Denver and then I visited Boulder From Boulder I went on to Estes State Park en route I found a superb little custom motorcycle shop called Redhill Motorcycle works. Even their parts dept was open on a Sunday and I managed to replace my headlamp bulb which blew because it didn't like the extreme cold coming over the Rockies 3 days earlier....

Attachments

• col redhill mcycles.jpg
    col redhill mcycles.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 768
Estes Park

Estes Park was a pretty town set in a plateau 7500ft up in the Rockies. It was an easy fast climb up to the park on very good roads. Its also a State Park and borders onto Rocky Mountain National Park..............

Attachments

• col estes park.jpg
    col estes park.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 761
Recognise this ........?

Do you recognise this hotel in Estes Park? You probably wouldn't.
Its the "historic" Stanley Hotel and was used as the hotel in that 70's horror classic " The Shining" with Jack Nicholson.

Attachments

• col stanley hotel.jpg
    col stanley hotel.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 766
View from Stanley Hotel

This is the Rockies as seen from the Stanley Hotel car park and this is where I went to next...........The Rocky Mountain National Park

Attachments

• coll view from stanley.jpg
    coll view from stanley.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 761
Rocky Mountain National Park

Lower section of the park where you can see Deer , Elk and Buffalo grazing. I rounded one corner to see a wolf crossing the road but it went into the woods before I could get a picture....

Attachments

• col rcky mnt 1.jpg
    col rcky mnt 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 753
Rocky Mountain 2

Although it was now early May the park roads were still closed above 11,500 ft and sure enough it started snowing as I got above 10,000ft. There was too much snow on the screen to see anything shortly after this shot............

It was on the way down from here that I had a major brake problem. One caliper was sticking on andf the brakes were frying on the way down. The first I knew of it was the burning smell. When I stopped I couldn't push the bike forward and the left disc was practically glowing!

Attachments

• col rocky mounain ntl park.jpg
    col rocky mounain ntl park.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 737
Still keep up with Harleys

After letting the pads cool and prising them apart with my Leatherman I got down the mountain to Estes Park but there was nowhere that could assist with my problem so I limped down from Estes to Fort Collins where I had heard there was a BMW dealer. On the way down I still managed to pass a load of Harleys ........

Attachments

• col rocky mounatain 2.jpg
    col rocky mounatain 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 737
Mechanics dont work Mondays!

The next day ( Monday ) I found the BMW dealer but the mechanics dont work on Mondays!!! Luckily David ( salesman) spoke to Jason ( General Manager) and they opened up the service dept , wheeled out a loaner ( with pannier rails) and promised to get me back on the road the next day. When I returned on Tuesday morning the service manager was an english guy from Sussex named Ian! $300 dollars and 4 hrs later I was on my way.......

David and Jason sort me out..............

Attachments

• col rocky 3 david and jason.jpg
    col rocky 3 david and jason.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 724
Nice pics Ian - traditionally, Bike shops in the USA are closed on Mondays - no idea why, but it's very common - Krautbikeman warned me of this...

What did you get for your $300?

Mike:)

New pads etc

Mike O said:
Nice pics Ian - traditionally, Bike shops in the USA are closed on Mondays - no idea why, but it's very common - Krautbikeman warned me of this...

What did you get for your $300?

Mike:)

New pads front and rear , all fluids replaced and full diagnostic check on the ABS system. Biggest cost was obviously labour. I had them put British EBC pads on the front but they didnt have any for the rear.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom