Heated grip = sticking throttle

obewan

Folks, Ok I have to confess to not having used the bike much this winter (could be the cause) but I have noticed that if I use the heated grips (bit cold still come mornings) that I get the benefit of cruise control, well the throttle becomes very tight and I have to physically shut the throttle off, and opening up again is quite difficult. Turn off the heated grips and 30 secs later back to normal.
Any ideas as to what I should look for? when I take the grip off? anyone else had this one.
PS an 04 model (Still going ok with just 30k on the clock)

It's a common problem and you'll find nirvana with a search... :thumb

Slowdown

Muchas Gratias.
Not sure why my earlier search failed to find - I dare say a typo by me but all sound easy enough.

Think I might wait for warmer mornings as I quite enjoyed the cruis control on the M5 this a.m. :)

I won't mention the Royals deserved victory earlier this year but thanks for inspiring confidence in our dressing room which ensured our swift departure from the Championship drop zone :D

It's a common problem but not difficult to solve. Start by removing the T55 bolt holding the bar end weight. Note that a lot of locking compound was used when the bike was assembled (mine shrieked when the compound let go). Take off the weight and look down the end of the handlebar. What you need is a washer whose outside diameter allows it to go inside the bar with an inside diameter that allows the big bolt you've just removed to go through it. Put the washer inside the bar to space the bar-end weight out by half a millimetre or so then reassemble. Use lots of locking compound on the bolt, as per the original, because if you tighten it your handguard will no longer move when you ride through bushes. Some might think this a benefit.

Sticking Throttle

I had the exact problem on my 1200GS.Developed when the bike was just out of warranty.I little bit of a concern until I worked out what it was.
Fixed as per the instructions,thanks to all concerned.
This must be a first, a problem fixed that cost nothing.

Ignore the earlier cures

They are not the correct cure.

Loosen the screws which hold the twist grip assembly on to the handlebars.
Slide the twistgrip assembly inwards by around 1 mm.
Retighten screws.

Job done.

Myke

The switch block is clamped to the handlebar (under the cover at the front small self tapping torx) you can then move the block to make sure switches are easy to reach and throttle works as it should.

Back
Top Bottom