Klankys GOTC Rideout

Klanky

Reaction score
Following the positive response from last years all-day Saturday tour of t'Far North of Scotland I'm going to do it again this year.

If there's any of you of haven't been up through Sutherland to the Kyle of Tongue on the North coast - or up to the Far NorthWest - this is an ideal way to see the highlights in one day.

Details of last years run here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188011

We'll be following the same route as last year with roughly the same times involved. Set off at 09:30 and back for about 17:30-ish:

Off from Ullapool 09:30
Heading North to Ledmore Junction and then heading East down Strath Oykel for Lairg.

Strath Oykel is a fantastic single track road in very good condition with virtually no traffic..as the tourists tend to stick to the coast road. Plenty of superb views and photie opportunities.

At Lairg we turn North into the remote wilds of inland Sutherland, passing through Altnaharra and coming out on the spectacular North coast at the Kyle of Tongue. We will stop off at the Craggan Hotel just outside Kyle of Tongue for coffee and sarnies.
Travelling West on the North Coast, we go round Loch Eriboll stopping off for photies where we wish and eventually regrouping in Durness at the car park and toilets.

From here we will head past the ferry point for Cape Wrath (see here for details of the Tossers Amphibious assault on Cape Wrath) and South on more fantastic roads towards Kylesku where we will regroup again so those who have been stopping for photies can catch up.
The roads on this section go from good quality single track to good quality 'proper' road with cracking bends and very little traffic.........:augie

Depending on time/weather interest/apathy we will turn off just after Kylesku for the back road into Lochinver for pies and either take the shorter main route home or go through Lochinver to take an absolute treat of a tiny narrow road back to Ullapool.

There's no 'marshals' or 'ride captains' bollox, you're not expected to stay at the same pace as everyone else. We all go at whatever speed we like and simply meet up at predetermined points (just five last year) to compare notes, waffle/bullshit and make sure everyones alright.

I limited the run to about a dozen last year - as i felt that a larger group would be unmanageable on some of the narrower roads. as it turned out, because everyone is travelling at a different pace and stopping for photies, we didn't have any problems at all. So a few more would be fine, methinks.

If yer interested, stick yer name down here, the only comittment is chipping in for the sarnies and coffee at the Craggan.:thumb2

About 180 miles -lots of places for fuel. And you'll be able to buy the infamous "I Love Tongue" stikurs en route.

Room for one more

Hi,

How do I sign up? or do I just turn up? I'm planning a trip to Orkney/Shetland on the 7th June and thought I'd join you first.

Thanks

Enjoyed it last year. :thumb

Go on then, stick me down.

Won't be having one of them expensive pies this year though.

I'm up for it:thumb2 Unlike Freeloader, I will be having one of those expensive pies :JB

Madame is very keen so put us both down.

We're happy to run at a sedate pace so could sweep the tail if you like.

So far:

Mr Wont-pay-for-a-pie-but-i-bet-he'd-eat-one-if-it-was-offered-Freeloader.
Nakambale
Mr & Mrs Badger
Bhud
Kirky (TBC)
Bikeit (TBC)

I'm In

I'm in, signed up, no longer a TBC :)

Looking forward to exploring the west side.....:JB

I enjoyed it so much last year that I'm coming back for seconds, but not pies. Well maybe not pies, I'll see how tight the summer riding suit feels.

Any wee tracks that you can add as side routes?

I'm in, signed up, no longer a TBC :)

Looking forward to exploring the west side.....:JB

It really is amazing. We always stop several times on the west side just to soak it up. Klanky's taking us the right way found too. Best views this direction.

Will have coffee making goodies and Tunnocks bars on board in case anyone fancies an improptu refreshment en route.

Mmmmmnot sure ...I was planning to go on Jonnys Ride Out like last year!!:aidan

Klankers--moi aussi --I'll show you the best sea tout pool in Scotland en route!!

G

:thumb

So far:

Mr Wont-pay-for-a-pie-but-i-bet-he'd-eat-one-if-it-was-offered-Freeloader.
Nakambale
Mr & Mrs Badger
Bhud
Kirky (TBC)
Bikeit
Waterloo700
Packer
Raboomdea (you're going whether you like it or not, so shut up).
Gerard
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Back
Top Bottom