Hyperpro springs

Ok.. Fronts done too. Much easier than I thought this time :) I haven't ridden it more than 40m as yet, but I will do this afternoon.

First impressions: it's *much* lower. Even with the standard (comfort) seat back on the bike, I can get most of my foot down in flip flops. It already feels so much more confidence inspiring as a result. As I say, I'll do some lanes and roads this afternoon and test that properly... Also, the usual dive on the front end is mostly gone (I really think that this is normally worse on the GSA over the GS with the extra weight) and it feels much more composed as a result.

It feels comically low at the moment. I need to get used to it obviously, but the bike feels more like a LC 1200 GS to me now (riding/seating position) and I quite like that.

Also, I *do* need to fit the shorter side stand now the front is done too. On a level surface the 'standard' stand puts the bike dangerously vertical for my liking. So, a small job after lunch to fit the shorter stand and it should all be good to go.

Huge thanks to all the people who posted their experiences on the thread before this, especially Dave for the pictorial guide too. There are some small differences for the ESA shock, but nothing major (some cables is all).

So, fingers x'd this has all changed the bike to make it a lot more fun and give me a lot less worrying about the height (it *was* manageable for me, but always needed conscious thought, I'm hoping I can relax a bit more now..).

I will also contact HP and see if there is either a) a problem with the springs or b) any detriment to having the spring upside down

!

The effect of putting a progressive spring upside down (closer coils nearer the ground) will be minimal and probably un-noticable. They should be the other way up because the close coils bind first and become dead weight. When placed at the bottom bound coils add to the unsprung weight and suspension designers are usually trying to minimise the unsprung weight - which for the rear includes the wheel, tyre, tube, discs, calipers, part of the swinging arm and the lower parts of the suspension unit itself. Proportionally the bound coils will not represent much of an increase in the unsprung weight so I doubt you would notice the difference in the suspension performance.

There is a great thread explaining suspension http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Suspension.html

Hi Old thread I know , but I have changed front and rear springs to HyperPro ..standard height on my F800 GSA , I contacted HyperPro re the Rear spring , and they replied very Quickly confirming that the tight coil windings on this model do indeed go to the bottom , just to be sure I emailed a pic of the fitted spring and they again confirmed it as correct for this model ...
Hope this helps if anyone else is planning the mod :) .
I also did my front springs but there instructions were not as clear as I was hoping .. so used the guide in this thread although for the earlier models .
Cheers

I have just ordered a set, forks and shock, for my 2012 F800GS - very much looking forward to fitting them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anybody fitted Hyperpro standard length springs ? to improve front fork behaviour ??? Thanks Ewen...

1,212 curses. I have both forks off my 2012 GS, dismantled and drained. Trying to put them back together I find that the HyperPro springs will not fit over the cross shaped piece, approx 6" long, that sits under the fork cap: https://imgur.com/gallery/I2XjX. When compared the HyperPro springs have a very slightly different (narrower) internal diameter.

I shall have to get hold of Performance Parts in the morning to see if what I've been sent is the wrong ones.

OK so now I've got the shock and the forks done with HyperPro springs but no lowering, using the HP recommended settings. I've been for a ride of approx 10-15 miles this evening to check out how it feels.

The first thing I noticed is that the forks are much less eager to dive. Brake hard and they'll still duck like a good 'un but for general braking they're not so keen to do it. The bike tracks into and round corners easier and I'd say it's also easier to chuck into a corner. The rear felt like it was coping well with the less-than-perfectly-surfaced Hampshire town and back roads I took. It didn't wallow like it used to, feeling generally tauter all round. I'm glad I did it.

Not Hyperpro but Wilbers progressive for springs fitted to my F650 twin 3 months ago. First ride was as described above, I thought they had bled my brakes as they felt eally firm, arguably wooden.

Realised why, I was stopping quickly but no fork dive, or lurching. GreaT upgrade to std fork internals.

Enjoy

I did the Hyper Pro upgrade Front and Rear .. No lowering with Hyper Pro oil included in the kit . Couple of thousand miles ago .. if I,m honest I think its now a little too harsh I'm thinking of changing the oil grade to a 7.5 to see if it helps .. if not there will a front an rear Hyper pro kit available second hand ! .
Cheers

I have the 50mm lower spring on my 700GS rear ESA shock.
Great improvement in getting on / off & no issues...
Highly recommended if your F GS is a tad to tall...

:thumb2

I have a - 50mm hyperpro rear spring for sale if anyone fancies it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom