camping food

Can't coment on the Go Outdoors ones, but i can highly recommend the army 24 hr ration boxes, available from ebay. Just returned from France and we lived on them for the first 2 days :fnikefork

..eh?

Which bit of France is so remote that you need to eat dehydrated yuk from a bag?

One of the best things about France is the food.

..eh?

Which bit of France is so remote that you need to eat dehydrated yuk from a bag?

One of the best things about France is the food.

Very true, one great memory of a trip through VERY rural France was Baguette, Ham and Brie eaten on a bridge over a river whilst our bikes rested:thumb

+1 on these. Some of the recipes are better than others, but the chilli con carne is excellent. Same for the beef casserole & all are less than £3 each. Another suggestion for bike camping is M&S tinned chicken curry, etc. All very tasty & filling but, importantly, really quick/easy to get heated & eaten. M&S also do pre-cooked rice that can be recooked in a pan with just a little oil (ie doesn't need microwaving).

+ 2 for the wayfarers- all day breakfast has been a morale booster on several occasions. I always Try to get some normal food in as well as you travel because

1.wayfarers etc are designed to give you what you need after a long day hard physical day. This means they are packed with carbs & calories so long term use isn't always great ( having said that I lived on them for extended periods)

2. It's great to pick up fresh local food from markets etc as you ride. You can get some real suprises that way....

Colts

Nice one, I will keep an eye out for these :thumb2

Mushroom soup = Edible..ish.

Pea & Ham soup = Unpleasant

Chilli con carne = Tasted great, causes chronic burping all night. (Why not just buy a can of Stag Chilli for £1 less?)

Beef porter stew = Tomorrow night's experiment.

:beerjug:

Whenever I'm away camping I find if I fill up on beer then just buy some salted peanuts to kerb the hunger that seems to do it. :thumb2

Of course there are some side effects that your mates forever carp on about via photos & ride reports! :blast

But, :JB

when I travel, packets of soup ('fresh' soup, ready to heat, were just the trick), stove got it ready in 45 secs, break off a bread roll and I was happy as....:thumb

The best camping food:-

A Jet boil, simmering some basmati rice - ok, it's 10 mins, but uses minimal fuel. 5 mins in, cut the top off the 'look what we found' and pop it into the rice water. Once the rice is cooked just serve onto your jetboil plate that comes with the jetboil frying pan (fried brekky!)

There's no way I'd ever touch that dehydrated stuff again - as Mick Dundee said - 'you can eat it - it tastes like shit, but you can eat it'

Do you get the impression I really like my JetBoil?

"Look what we found" - Home reared Beef in Black Velvet Porter with potatoes - Beef stew, in effect. Couldn't detect any beery or velvetyness...very small portion.

Buy a tin of beef stew, get more for less..

Not trying to be negative, but am I missing the point to this?

:nenau

The best boil in the bag camp food in the world bar none is The Halls Haggis!
Gently simmered for 45m in a Jetboil, served on a titanium plate & eaten with a Snow Peak Spork.
And before you all start screwing your faces up & heaving, there is no Sheep stomach involved, just minced sheep, oatmeal & seasoning . . . It's a feckin miracle!

And the best thing about the Halls Haggis is you can't eat it all, and tastes even better cold for breckie!:drool

Wayfarer's are for homos!

Oh dear!!!!

Haggis or the other more tasty option- chewing on ones own arm!

Oh dear!!!!

Haggis or the other more tasty option- chewing on ones own arm!

You should try it before knocking! You would need 3 of you Wayfarers to equal 1 £2.20 Haggis.:eek:onyack

Wayfarer's are for overpaid homos!:ymca2

food,beer,bed!

45mins to wait for grub!, i start drinking while i`m cooking, i`d be "cooked" myself by then, if you`re going to france get beer,bagette,ham and cheese, oh hang on,that doesn`t invole cooking,GREAT!! more time for drinking!!!:drool

45mins to wait for grub!, i start drinking while i`m cooking, i`d be "cooked" myself by then, if you`re going to france get beer,bagette,ham and cheese, oh hang on,that doesn`t invole cooking,GREAT!! more time for drinking!!!:drool

Quite true.

There's loads of small eateries for real food and for the times when you just get it wrong and everything's shut there's loads of alternatives to dehydrated ick.

Quite true.

There's loads of small eateries for real food and for the times when you just get it wrong and everything's shut there's loads of alternatives to dehydrated ick.

The O P asked about boil in the bag grub - Who mentioned the bloody French?

I would hardly call watching H2O bubble cooking!:blast

The O P asked about boil in the bag grub - Who mentioned the bloody French?

I would hardly call watching H2O bubble cooking!:blast

Les Frogs:

Can't coment on the Go Outdoors ones, but i can highly recommend the army 24 hr ration boxes, available from ebay. Just returned from France and we lived on them for the first 2 days :fnikefork

Back
Top Bottom