camping food

Army rations...

Whilst army rations are excellent for your average squaddie who is burning 4000 calories per day, they aren't alltogether too suitable for your average 16 stone inactive tosser on his annual camping trip:augie

But, if you must eat them, try to alternate with fresh rations every couple of days to keep things regular:thumb

Or, mix compo with fresh to fill it out a bit ie add fresh greens to any of the main meals. Best of both.

Dont forget the andrex:blast

army rats

one thing I know from when i was a solidier is that army rations or (compo) bungs you up solid if you have it for a few days and when you do go its like passing granite!

Can not see why you would need anything like this in europe having said that I normally pack some sort of dehyrated meal for an emegency if im going further a field and its definately worth getting something like curry powder or chilli powder to spice things up.

Keep it simple.....

1 x small tin of corned beef
1 x potato
1 x onion
bottle of Worcester sauce.

Slice potato and onion and place in large pan, add corned beef and cover with water. Add Worcester sauce, about 2 tablespoons or so. Bring to boil then simmer until spuds start to break up.

Fresh cooked food, no mess or fuss. Feeds 2. Better than and pre packed / dehydrated rubbish.

Enjoy:thumb2

1 x potato
1 x onion

Slice potato and onion and place in large pan, add corned beef and cover with water. Add Worcester sauce, about 2 tablespoons or so. Bring to boil then simmer until spuds start to break up.

Fresh cooked food, no mess or fuss. Feeds 2. Better than and pre packed / dehydrated rubbish.

Oh yes, a right balance of fresh healthy food that is:D:D:blast...nice though:)

1 x potato
1 x onion

Err - Corned Beef from a can is pre packed rubbish. What precisely is fresh about it?

Err - Corned Beef from a can is pre packed rubbish. What precisely is fresh about it?

I guess he was referring to fresh as in freshly cooked :nenau

Canned corned beef, while high in saturated fats, salt and sugar isn't as bad as some processed foods which are full of chemicals, trans fats etc. Due to its high calorific value and protein content, it used to be a standard expedition food.

I still say I'd have corned beef over the crap sold in MacDonalds.

Corned Beef Hash...

I was mealy suggesting that (for me) freshly prepared and cooked food is better than something that was made and bagged 5 years ago or so!

After 24 years in the army I never want to see ration style food ever again!
A little bit of effort and knowledge can make a much more satisfying meal.

It may be a novelty for those who have never had to survive on military rations /camp style food for any period of time but, remember a 24hr ration pack contains 4000Cals an average sized bloke only needs 2500Cals. This could go some way to explaining the rather large girth of some of our Tosser friends:thumb

:rob ive done this in the past on my long journeys get pot noodles from places like asda at home when on offer at about 50p, open from plastic pots which take up space and put a load in a plastic bag which will then pack into any spare space in panniers, put as much as you want in your cup. reasonable snack. combine this with hard boiled eggs which again can pack into a cup or whatever.I also take the nescafe satchet cappucino's get them on specials at £1.50 for 10 that's 15p a cup for a reasonable roadside drink,of course if you're rich dine out!!! :jager:jager

Look What We Found...

... range of pouch meals seems to consistently get reasonably good reviews and, when you've missed the shop cos you just didn't believe that it was ECD (for those that remember town almanacs) or for whatever other reason, it seems to me to be good if you have a fall-back position. At £1.99 - £2.50 +/- a throw, I reckon they're worth trying and if found to be palatable, I'll pack a couple, just in case!

... range of pouch meals seems to consistently get reasonably good reviews and, when you've missed the shop cos you just didn't believe that it was ECD (for those that remember town almanacs) or for whatever other reason, it seems to me to be good if you have a fall-back position. At £1.99 - £2.50 +/- a throw, I reckon they're worth trying and if found to be palatable, I'll pack a couple, just in case!

The portions seem small and I decided just to buy a tin of meatballs and one of chilli con carne this time, at a fraction of the price

:nenau.

They are nice IMHO, but the portions aren't particularly large and they aren't overly generous with the meat part of the recipe. You will need to add something like rice, potatoes, pasta etc top bulk them out a bit.

They are nice IMHO, but the portions aren't particularly large and they aren't overly generous with the meat part of the recipe. You will need to add something like rice, potatoes, pasta etc top bulk them out a bit.

Yup - I've tried them and I'd need at least two portions to make a decent meal.

I'm with Mr K - it's cans (or from scratch) for me with some sort of starch (rice pasta or more lately cous cous) to add 'substance'.

Yup - I've tried them and I'd need at least two portions to make a decent meal.

I'm with Mr K - it's cans (or from scratch) for me with some sort of starch (rice pasta or more lately cous cous) to add 'substance'.

Rice, pasta or cous cous was a given... in doubt was what to have with it!

I can't believe no one has mentioned the king of camping food.

The VESTA curry, work of genius.

Back
Top Bottom