camping food

bose

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the boil in the bag food from go outdoors ,it comes in all kinds of recipies and deserts well 2 anyway .Do they firstly taste good and will they fill you up like a normal meal ,any side affects from eating such food????
cheers anyone ,also open to suggestions on camping grub.:D:D

Can't coment on the Go Outdoors ones, but i can highly recommend the army 24 hr ration boxes, available from ebay. Just returned from France and we lived on them for the first 2 days :fnikefork

+1 on the ration packs. It ain't gourmet food by a long shot, but if you need a quick, filling meal with minimum faffing about, they're fine.

:beerjug:

Has anyone tried the boil in the bag food from go outdoors ,it comes in all kinds of recipies and deserts well 2 anyway .Do they firstly taste good and will they fill you up like a normal meal.
We used them a few times on a camping trip last year. If you pad them out a bit by boiling some rice separately, splitting a French Stick, we found that 1 bag was enough for 2 of us. Tasted pretty good too, but when you're travelling, knackered and camping TBH most stuff tastes pretty good. :thumb

The kids preferred a pizza - but that's kids for you. :blast

theyre not to bad just take some chilli flakes salt & pepper or curry powder to give them that little something extra:thumb2

Bose, go to Cotswald Outdoor then in the search box type wayfayrer :thumb2

Superb food and if you use the 15% UKGSer discount it works out at £3.69 a meal :thumb2

Paul looking to buy some wayfairer meals for my summer alps trip. How do you go about getting the GS discount mate from cotswold ? :)

Cheers Joe. Might well beg some 'Rats' off some of my mates, they're still in the 'Mob' :)

cooked one for lunch as an experiment today, beef stew duplings in gravy, tasted ok but not realy enough, not even for lunch! does need some padding out as others have said, very convient though.

Has anyone tried the boil in the bag food from go outdoors ,it comes in all kinds of recipies and deserts well 2 anyway .Do they firstly taste good and will they fill you up like a normal meal ,any side affects from eating such food????
cheers anyone ,also open to suggestions on camping grub.:D:D

Ready meals from the supermarket called "look what we found" are superb:drool

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/wheretobuy.html

Better than ration packs and Wayfarer stuff, they all taste shit, depends what you are used to I suppose.

Bose, go to Cotswald Outdoor then in the search box type wayfayrer :thumb2

Superb food and if you use the 15% UKGSer discount it works out at £3.69 a meal :thumb2

Thanks for that. I have been paying £4.99 for them at a local camping store. The things you find out by just skipping through threads when your supposed to be working....brilliant :thumb

Ready meals from the supermarket called "look what we found" are superb:drool

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/wheretobuy.html

Better than ration packs and Wayfarer stuff, they all taste shit, depends what you are used to I suppose.

+1 on these. Some of the recipes are better than others, but the chilli con carne is excellent. Same for the beef casserole & all are less than £3 each. Another suggestion for bike camping is M&S tinned chicken curry, etc. All very tasty & filling but, importantly, really quick/easy to get heated & eaten. M&S also do pre-cooked rice that can be recooked in a pan with just a little oil (ie doesn't need microwaving).

Army rat packs ...
cooked one for lunch as an experiment today, beef stew duplings in gravy, tasted ok but not realy enough, not even for lunch! does need some padding out as others have said, very convient though.
'cos they are full of calories, which is one of the things the body needs, then quantity is not really an issue.

I beleive that the new rat packs that they are trialling are based on cereal bars etc as they give energy to the body and smaller/easier to carry.

after 6 weeks on army food it's like giving birth to anti matter....

just cook some stuff it easy, use pudding rice cos it cooks quicker, dried tomatoes, dried mushrooms, and some salami... bit of bullion/ stock

bad dab bing bad abong... it's nice....

better for you, cheaper and tasty...

appart from the cooker thing blows up:blast

Back
Top Bottom