Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system

Folks, I just wanted to update this thread to say how happy i am with the motorcycles performance. I suspect it is generally happier not having the electrical load of the servo. Very very pleased indeed!

I've included a pix of my front brake hoses junction. I had to take it apart last night because the throttle cable was on the wrong side of the braided hose (pix is a before fix) All felt better after it was corrected.
3a8e3ee8.jpg

Also, I had to remove the wider lip on the right hand side of the bracket to facilitate the connection of the braided brake line. It was too stiff to connect correctly with Daves instructions.

Did I mention how much cleaner looking the bike looks without all the metal pipes and abs sensor cables?
:thumb

no cost abs removal

Thank you for a cheap and easy way to remove the ABS from my 2005 R1150RT, 4hrs, to remove this hunk of crap under the tank. ABS is for girls, this was my first abs bike and has given me such nightmares not knowing when it wont work. the brakes feel like brakes, the rear never worked, now it does. thank you for an informative post. :beerjug:

Nice description. Of note for Adventure owners, I can't get the braided rear brake hose to connect to the rear master cylinder. Not even close. New non abs hose on order.

This is a very useful post.

My '04 1150GSA went to Lind at Norwich on Saturday for a full-on service, including brake fluid replacement. I decided to go this way as the bike, which I've had since Sept '10 has had no service in 4 years but only 6,000 since it's last service. As I'm off on a small tour next month I tohught it wisest to get it done proper like and do my own minor stuff from now onwards.

I was loaned a new KT1200 - a terrible bike ! Rode back Sat pm to collect my bike and after being kept hanging about for an hour and a half was told the front and rear brake lights stopped working during the road test. Seems servo unit may have fried. They're working to see what the problem is as I write. Bottom line is £1500 for a new unit on top of the £550 for the service !!! No fecking way ....... I've told them to get teh brake light working if they can and touch nothing else. I'll use this to disable the servo (which I've always hated anyways) and then still be able to go on holiday with the family.

:thumb2 :thumb2

Dave

Nice description. Of note for Adventure owners, I can't get the braided rear brake hose to connect to the rear master cylinder. Not even close. New non abs hose on order.

What year? Mine went straight on.

Mines a late 2002, master cylinder end of braided hose had a 90 degree bend and wouldn't quite make a connection (yes, was trying quite hard). Replacement hose had about a 110 degree angle, just enough to get it on. Given that it was a hose for a non abs bike, and all the fittings are the same otherwise, I wonder if I just have an early part on the bike which changed a touch later, or I had an aftermarket item on anyway..all done though, and seriously easy to do..

Hi there

Hello

I have had the ABS failure for 2 years on my 2004 R1150 GSA. I bought a conversion kit from the guys at Motorworks last year. 8 months later i found out that I most likely wasted money on it. Well I used some of the parts.

This week I finally found the time to start on the ABS project. I removed the ABS unit/servo. Did all the re-hosing and started with the wiring thats posted further up on this forum.

The bike did not start! Here in Norway we like to say FAEN I HELVETE! And that I did say alot.
Then i remembered that the guys from Motorworks had send me an e-mail with how to wire the damn thing.
Me and a friend re wired the bike and it STARTED.

But, there is always a but, My breaklights are constantly on! Is it becayse the black/grey is'nt wired with the wire from fuse number 2?

If someone can help me with this, thanks alot.

Remember you are always welcoem to visit Norway. I live in one of its most seenic parts.

Claus C

Help!

As a new member, I was so encouraged to read these threads - suddenly I'm not alone. I have just done the deed on my F800GS. I bought my bike new with ABS simply to shorten my wait but, as a died in the wool dirt rider, I have resented and hated the fact that it is installed on my bike. A few Saturdays ago, I'd had finally had enough and I removed it all - pump and plumbing - leaving the wiring to pump carefully isolated and sealed off. I left the front and rear wheel speed sensors in place. The result - vastly improved braking with much better feel, particularly on dirt. Bike also felt a lot leaner but that's probably psychological. However, an unintended side effect was that my speedo stopped working and of course the ABS light stays on. In a more rational moment afterwards and after buying a Haynes workshop manual, I realised the speedo was connected through the ABS pump to the rear speed sensor. I know the solution lies in simply connecting certain of the wires leading to the ABS pump but which ones? I am scared of trying my black box because all the wiring passes through it and there are no fuses. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! By the way, I don't regret taking the ABS off one bit!

servoectomy

removed it yesterday with great success, everything went according to your
well written instructions. I removed the front censor and wiring, but just cut the wire from the rear, left the censor in the bevel casing to block the hole up. Thanks for that Dave

As a new member, I was so encouraged to read these threads - suddenly I'm not alone. I have just done the deed on my F800GS. I bought my bike new with ABS simply to shorten my wait but, as a died in the wool dirt rider, I have resented and hated the fact that it is installed on my bike. A few Saturdays ago, I'd had finally had enough and I removed it all - pump and plumbing - leaving the wiring to pump carefully isolated and sealed off. I left the front and rear wheel speed sensors in place. The result - vastly improved braking with much better feel, particularly on dirt. Bike also felt a lot leaner but that's probably psychological. However, an unintended side effect was that my speedo stopped working and of course the ABS light stays on. In a more rational moment afterwards and after buying a Haynes workshop manual, I realised the speedo was connected through the ABS pump to the rear speed sensor. I know the solution lies in simply connecting certain of the wires leading to the ABS pump but which ones? I am scared of trying my black box because all the wiring passes through it and there are no fuses. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! By the way, I don't regret taking the ABS off one bit!

I dont suppose many people wil have done the procedure on an 800 as it was intended to remove the problem of the servo packing up on the 1150's on a cost efficient basis/preference for no servo. Loss of the abs is just an effect of removing the servo on the 1150's.

I dont suppose many people wil have done the procedure on an 800 as it was intended to remove the problem of the servo packing up on the 1150's on a cost efficient basis/preference for no servo. Loss of the abs is just an effect of removing the servo on the 1150's.
Thanks for the feedback.

remove servo on K-Bike

Has anyone out there tried this on a K bike?

Just a comment.

I removed mine a while back and have found the brakes a little soft at the lever.

I'm getting my spoked wheel checked by a wheel whisperer at the moment and I put on the front wheel from my r850r. The r has those brake discs with the bobbins. I'm finding them much better than the origional discs. Might put them on the 1150gsa when I get the wheel back.

Pretty sure there is no air in the brake lines but am confused as to why this might be happening. Anyone else had an experience like this??

Put brakes back on adv wheel ( now true ) and brakes are normal again. Very strange. Still, they work brilliantly and am delighted I don't have the servo anymore. Sure, abs just stops rear wheel skids!

great post

this was a really helpful post i have been having trouble with the brakes on my r1150rt and i folowed the steps relatively easily. i can now enjoy riding again as it was constantly on the back of my mind, when will the brakes go again.

many thanks
mel

Thanks Dave,
just de-servoed mine and its brilliant,
Thanks for posting this guide and for answering my PMs
Very much appreciated

Excellent post - thanks Dave :thumb2

All done in under two hours. Except for bleeding the brakes... :rolleyes:

I fitted a new Goodrich rear hose, because I wasn't comfortable with the bend I'd have to leave in the OEM one - £33 delivered from Motorworks...

Cheers,

Mike :cool:

Has anyone got any old servo and ABS parts. I am thinking to fit out my GS with servo brakes.

Only kidding :D. I don't have this issue with servo brakes on mine but definitely a post to print and file (for when i do eventually end up with a later model!)

servosectomy / speedo

Just completed servosectomy as per Daves brilliant instrucrions. my bike is an 1150 Rockster, made up a small bracket to slightly move front connector to make fit of braided hoses better. brakes are OK but on reassebly I've lost the speedo. has any one else had a problem like this or do I just take it all to bits again and start carefully examining the wiring?

Back
Top Bottom