Ukraine - Chernobyl tour - Transfagarasan highway

skipper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just finished a fantastic 17 day tour to Ukraine. passing through Poland , Moldova , Romania plus others on the route .

The road section highlight was the Transfagarasan highway in Romania (said by Top Gear to be the best road in the world). "I can' t argue with that "

Absolutely fantastic and the only problem was the corrupt Police in the Ukraine.

Anyway if you want to read/see more then its here

Skipper

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 2,440
  • P6190256.JPG
    P6190256.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,513
  • P6190278.JPG
    P6190278.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,065
Looks like a great trip, thanks for posting!

Great tour report thanks.
What tour company did you use for the Chernobyl tour and where did you book it?
I was planning a similar tour this summer.

attachment.php

It looks like you had a great trip. I'm amazed that you got over the Transfagarasan Pass in February. Here's a picture that I took last May:

IMG_0472-1.jpg

:nenau

Greg

This was the tour company About 4 companies listed in Lonely Planet. However I don't think it makes much difference as we were all on the same BUS. We rang them and passed over all our details etc.

What is important is that you book it at least 48 hours before you go, you can't just turn up..... you have to register with the authorities.

Just to help to fit into your planning, they do not go every day. (Kiev is a nice place to chill).

So don't think you might get a bargain on the day !!! All you will get is 2 extra nights in your hotel waiting.

As I say "experience is something you learn just after you needed it"

Skipper

This looks like a good trip and thanks for such a detailed trip report. I'm thinking (nervously) about doing a similar trip next summer on my own. I'm a bit put off hearing about your run ins with the dodgy police. Looking back is there anything you think you could have done to avoid it/make it easier once you had come up against the law?

Michael

Nice write up. Soom good facts and figures in there for future planning.

Take care with tours of Chernobyl. I don't know what the current situation is, but we had booked a tour for Monday, 4th July, with a company based in Kiev. When we got there, we were informed that all Chernobyl tours had been temporarily suspended by the Ukrainian govt. We got our deposit back ok, but it was a huge disappointment. Bear in mind that Skipper went there last year.

some please remove this ride report .......i just read it a second time .....and i should be working ......not thinking about a road trip !

good write up :thumb

Only just found this gem of a ride report. I have an 8500ml trip planned for next year that takes in Transfagaransan pass amongst others but now also adding Chernobyl to itinerary as it is a must see for me. On a side note, if anyone is interested in joining me and Uturntony, of this parish then let me know and I can send you a copy of the route so far. It takes in places like colditz, wolf's lair, the berghof, auschtwitz, stelvio pass, dracula's (vlad the Impaler) castles, lake como, Monaco f1 circuit, Sierra Nevada. The list goes on, it's approx a 4 week trip and mainly camping with a scattering of hotels. :blagblah

I know I'm dragging up an old thread but here's the score:

I'm currently in Brasov (long story, it's not where I should have been but..) and I reckon I can head north, cross into the Ukraine and be as close as it's possible to get to Pripyat/Chernobyl in about 2.5 days if I'm a good boy and don't stop for extended beer breaks during the day.

Is this one of the most stupid ideas I've ever had, should I go for it anyway, can I get from Chernobyl back to the Hook of Holland in a further 3 days and is the part of Ukraine going past Kiev as dodgy as fuck at the moment?

I'm going anyway but it'd be nice to know if it's going to be a load of hassle. Fill your boots boys but make it snappy, I'm off in the morning :D

You need to check if you are actually allowed to go to the reactor. I did but it had to be via organised tour. Warning we were fed on the way out with a small buffet. DO NOT EAT. I got food poisoning and have never been so ill. The reactor and Pripyat are well worth seeing. Keep your cash hidden and speed low particularly near borders. We were fined a fortune twice in a mile and were not speeding even though the hand held 'speed gun' said we were - sure!!!!

Back
Top Bottom