Fuel filling problem.................?

Each to their own i guess...

whilst i appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I for one am surprised that people feel the need to carry out this mod...

In real terms, how much "time" is actually saved? Surely not much more than a couple of minutes, maybe 5 at the most can be saved?

Are we that tight for time that 5 minutes out of every 3.5 hours or so (full tanks riding) is "essential" ? An interesting perspective is to compare the amount of time this mod takes to complete, and compare that to how many of these "longer" fuel stops without the mod??

Good luck to those of you that have made or wish to make the mod, i for one think i'll leave my bike as is, regarding fuel filling... I enjoy my bike largely for pleasure and will suffer the litre or two less in my tank and/or the extra 5 minutes break as i refuel for the next leg of the journey...

;) :p :D

Happy modding.... :beerjug:

thx for the info guys, I wanted clarification on the mod and that's what I got, much appreciated.

Schtum said:
You can. I've filled it level with the cap. It takes a bit of patience but it can be done.
If you think about the hydraulics involved, you're filling up the neck NOT the tank to the level of the neck - a subtle difference.

Re: Each to their own i guess...

swebb said:
whilst i appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I for one am surprised that people feel the need to carry out this mod...

In real terms, how much "time" is actually saved? Surely not much more than a couple of minutes, maybe 5 at the most can be saved?

Are we that tight for time that 5 minutes out of every 3.5 hours or so (full tanks riding) is "essential" ? An interesting perspective is to compare the amount of time this mod takes to complete, and compare that to how many of these "longer" fuel stops without the mod??

Good luck to those of you that have made or wish to make the mod, i for one think i'll leave my bike as is, regarding fuel filling... I enjoy my bike largely for pleasure and will suffer the litre or two less in my tank and/or the extra 5 minutes break as i refuel for the next leg of the journey...

I reckon they do the alteration for the same reason that some install noisy exhausts, different seats, huggers etc. Bikes are toys for most people - not basic transport. And we like "playing" with our toys. Boring just to leave as the manufacturer intended.

Thats why HD have been so successful. They have recognised that a wide selection of gizzmos is as important as how the bike goes in the first place.

I for one don`t like faffing around filling stations dribbling the maximum amount of petrol the manufacturer intended into my tank.
I think it`s a great minor modification one which I`ll be doing :thumb

swebb said:

did the mod myself today...very easy...took less than one hour.and that includes having a quick clean round the tank.......it would have been quicker but for removing / re-fitting my baglux etc.

This is all fine and good, but remember, by overfilling the tank (over what it was designed for), you are running the risk of flooding your charcoal canister and all the associated problems with that. That is why the neck is there in the first place, to maintain some air space at the top of the tank for the fuel vapor collection system to work.

(Do bikes in all world markets have the charcoal canister is a valid question I suppose.)

I carried out this mod to my 1150GS. It now fills a lot quicker, getting the last 1.5 litres in was like pulling teeth....first ride since I went to 220 miles before reserve light and got home with 245 on the trip. Haven't filled it yet but will update with the amount of litres I get in.

Ken H. said:
This is all fine and good, but remember, by overfilling the tank (over what it was designed for), you are running the risk of flooding your charcoal canister and all the associated problems with that. That is why the neck is there in the first place, to maintain some air space at the top of the tank for the fuel vapor collection system to work.

I did the mod on my 1150GS, and found that "overfilling" the tank (ie appreciably above the bottom of the filler neck) was fine (useful extra fuel range) as long as I was going to ride off straight away for some distance. However, if I did it with the engine warm, and parked the bike up for a short time straight afterwards, the heat from the engine expanded the fuel, and the overflow/breather pissed fuel all over the ground. Which was nice - not. :(

Rick

ricky said:
However, if I did it with the engine warm, and parked the bike up for a short time straight afterwards, the heat from the engine expanded the fuel, and the overflow/breather pissed fuel all over the ground. Which was nice - not. :(

typical dutchman mod...... not thought through but looks nice at first. :beerjug:

Filler Neck Drama...WITH CARE?

My 1100 neck is Drilled? This is good. But, filled up and deciced I would park to the side and go in and enjoy a coffee? Noticed after a bit, a lot of Bothered People outside running everywhere? An Officail looking Lady with Red Vest, Hard Hat and Clip Board had Kitty Littered my 1100!! Fu..ing Cat litter all over!
Yeah it exspanded? Someone complained someone else mentioned Fire! I was the owner I had to Push it Away? Yeah reckon that was fun/ NOT!
I have seen Drink Sippa Bottles fitted to the bottom of overflow pipes to collect the waste fuel in the Hotter areas! Remember the early Ks with no heat proof under the Tank? Always exspelling Fuel. More to think on.
BIGJim Tasmania/ :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

Well I've done the filler mod and am happy enough. :thumb I do take care afterwards, but usually I'm either heading out for a run, so stopping while it's full doesn't come into it. Or I've just filled it before putting it in the garage, and the bike is on its centre stand without any danger of direct sunlight expanding the fuel. It's all a matter of common sense really, but we all know how little of that there is about these days. :rolleyes:

Smeggy said:
Well I've done the filler mod and am happy enough. :thumb I do take care afterwards, but usually I'm either heading out for a run, so stopping while it's full doesn't come into it. Or I've just filled it before putting it in the garage, and the bike is on its centre stand without any danger of direct sunlight expanding the fuel. It's all a matter of common sense really, but we all know how little of that there is about these days. :rolleyes:
Yup, same here. Filler mod works perfect, but i only brim it if i'm going to do more than 30 miles straight after filling up.

did my fuel filler neck a while ago on the 1100.

Got 25.3 litres in it this morning :eek

is this a record ? ;)

Back
Top Bottom