Final Drive Failure Register

2008 GSA - Drive replaced at 9800 miles

Previous 2004 GS - First drive as a recall at about 9000 miles
Second drive due to worn bearings at 17,000
Third drive due to input pinion seal leaking at 26,000

ill put this in for him:augie

lord vader..06 GSA 5 final drives in 36k:eek

he now has an 09 is happy no trouble so far:beerjug:

2008 GS, FD replaced under warranty at 14000 miles. Now 24000 miles, still o.k, fingers crossed.

Talking to my dealer today and they really don't know what the problem is apart from perhaps a bad batch of bearings.
:

If quality Timken, SKF or alike bearings were fitted rather than the shite from China i sure the problem would be a thing of the past.

The main bearing is being replaced on mine (2500mls on the clock) on Saturday with an upgraded bearing... but as you guessed it still comes from China.

ill put this in for him:augie

lord vader..06 GSA 5 final drives in 36k:eek

he now has an 09 is happy no trouble so far:beerjug:
Thanks Chad
Maybe i should pop in more often:D
First one went at 13000
2nd at 26000
3rd at 41000 i think
4th at 52000
had it refurb and sold the bike:(
new one got now 13500 miles and so far all ok

Thanks Chad
Maybe i should pop in more often:D
First one went at 13000
2nd at 26000
3rd at 41000 i think
4th at 52000
had it refurb and sold the bike:(
new one got now 13500 miles and so far all ok

ah 52 not 36:blast:D

My drive has not failed but started leaking from the outer seal. Had three replacements, still leaking. I'm going to try one more with the 'new' 180ml oil quantity. No wheel play, no grinding noises, no vibration or rumbles, just leaks. Now covered 11 000m with the leak, (total 38,500m), the only problem is that you have no back brake as it's covered in oil. Mind you that's saved on about 3 sets of brake pads and 1 warped disc probably, lol.
Ride safe
Gary:beerjug:

Mine failed at 33k...should have fitted one of these<object width="480" height="385">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rLDgQg6bq7o?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Is there a point to this :nenau

+1

So this thread has had over 700 views and about 20 reported failures. So what does that mean ? What's the point of making a thread like this a sticky ? Why not start a thread on every known fault and we can have league table. Why limit this to the 1200GS - my 1150GS had a final drive fail as well.

'08, 9952 miles.
Crown bearing replaced today. (wonder when the rest will fall to bits)

Friend of mine having his complete FD replaced. (today)

'08, 10741 miles

+1

So this thread has had over 700 views and about 20 reported failures. So what does that mean ? What's the point of making a thread like this a sticky ? Why not start a thread on every known fault and we can have league table. Why limit this to the 1200GS - my 1150GS had a final drive fail as well.

Firstly if you want to start a thread about 1150 models knock yourself out secondly if you bother to read the replies to my thread there are several posts with as many as four failures so please try to keep up :rolleyes: and I will be contacting MBW what will you do about your experience then :nenau

Firstly if you want to start a thread about 1150 models knock yourself out secondly if you bother to read the replies to my thread there are several posts with as many as four failures so please try to keep up :rolleyes: and I will be contacting MBW what will you do about your experience then :nenau

as your bike is already covered by warranty (a 09 model ?) what do you hope to achieve :)

Regarding my 1150 which was out of warranty at the time - I got Steptoe to fix it - at a very reasonable price :D

as your bike is already covered by warranty (a 09 model ?) what do you hope to achieve :)

Regarding my 1150 which was out of warranty at the time - I got Steptoe to fix it - at a very reasonable price :D

i fixed mine at an even more reasonable price:D:D till the wife caught me using one of her saucepans to warm up the bearing in some gear oil:blast the bruises took a long time to heal:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom