Final Drive Failure Register

PLEASE HELP...Find final drive flange !!!! Bolivia...

Hi ,
I am on a RTW trip and am stuck in Santa Cruz, Bolivia with a failed final drive (35,000 miles)...I am told by BMW Germany that the 'final drive flange' reference 7699631 ...is on back order...!!! can anybody PLEASE help me locate one ASAP. Does anyone know of a spares dealer somewhere close(ish) to me or of anyone coming out to Bolivia soon ??? Much appreciate any help, thanks...:beerjug:
Mark.. http://blogs.statravel.co.uk/sundance

Hi ,
I am on a RTW trip and am stuck in Santa Cruz, Bolivia with a failed final drive (35,000 miles)...I am told by BMW Germany that the 'final drive flange' reference 7699631 ...is on back order...!!! can anybody PLEASE help me locate one ASAP. Does anyone know of a spares dealer somewhere close(ish) to me or of anyone coming out to Bolivia soon ??? Much appreciate any help, thanks...:beerjug:
Mark.. http://blogs.statravel.co.uk/sundance

Motorworks here in the UK sell them:
http://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/products/product.php?f=b&bke=bmw&q=33117699631&x=23&y=7

Even if they have them in stock you may have to wait a week (or more) though.

Good luck!

Looking at buying a GS, from what I read here you will be pretty lucky to get past 20k on an FD, this is less than a £150 C&S kit on any jap bike and is the biggest put-off for me.

I would expect a shaft to last 100k, I bet it is a lot more than £150 to fix, and unlike a chain will not gradually wear, but leave you stranded half way through your holiday...

Perhaps the Tiger is a better bet with its cheap and reliable (probably Chinese) chain drive?

Looking at buying a GS, from what I read here you will be pretty lucky to get past 20k on an FD, this is less than a £150 C&S kit on any jap bike and is the biggest put-off for me.

I would expect a shaft to last 100k, I bet it is a lot more than £150 to fix, and unlike a chain will not gradually wear, but leave you stranded half way through your holiday...

Perhaps the Tiger is a better bet with its cheap and reliable (probably Chinese) chain drive?
your most likely right , but the percentage of failures to the amount of GSs sold is in reality quite low.

a friend of mine had a 1050 tiger that had 4 engine re-builds all piston issues:eek and a bloody long list of warranty work done , but thats not to say the tigers a bad bike its a feckin good one:rob

***one dip head lamp bulb blow last year***

Same with mine this May ! Bsturds :rob

1200 GSA 08
First Final drive replaced at about 9k
Second one replaced around 22k

...I'm now on 35k and this one seems ok. Hopefully BMW have finally got through the dodgy batch of shafts.

hi guys, im fairly new to forum and currently looking for a gsa but after reading all these posts im having second thoughts, how can bmw put there heads in the sand over this issue, its not a one off, also why arnt the dealer network complaining about these problems they must be losing out on new sales but probably making a fortune on warranty repairs, anyway im still not sure about a purchase but definately will be making sure its covered by warranty.

final drive

Took mine in for 12000 service, went to collect bike "hello sir walk this way into the work-shop, on inspecting your bike we found a wurring noise from the drive system, could be final drive bearing or drive shaft or gearbox bearing will need bike for several days to find problem may need to replace the lot ".
Ok it mite be done under warranty but still not good enough?.:mad:

Final Drive bearing

Bike is one year old and less than 5000 miles. Just had annual service.
On picking up the bike I'm told that there is excessive play in the bearing, must be replaced. They are not replacing the whole FD, just the bearing.

Regards

hi guys, im fairly new to forum and currently looking for a gsa but after reading all these posts im having second thoughts, how can bmw put there heads in the sand over this issue, its not a one off, also why arnt the dealer network complaining about these problems they must be losing out on new sales but probably making a fortune on warranty repairs, anyway im still not sure about a purchase but definately will be making sure its covered by warranty.

Spot on, it is the only thing worrying me, once my bike is sold I will have a pile of cash and like everything about the BMW excpet this issue, it must have already lost them a lot of sales.

More alarming is despite my dealer just a few hours ago telling me how they have got them sorted now someone with a year old bike has had a failure at 5k.

Come on BMW - sort it out!

A mate took his R1200 R in for its 12k service at just over 11k miles.
He was told the final drive bearing was worn and needed complete F/D replaceing @£900. The bike was 3 months out of warranty:mad:
After a moan and a call to BMW they agreed to replace complete F/drive with the updated one FOC.:D
The new unit has a breather in the diff casing, to stop the pressure build up in the diff which was the cause of the problem according to BMW.
It is easy to spot the updated diff,by looking ontop of the diff casing and infront of the brake caliper,you will see the breather with a rubbercover over it.

Similar story here. FD wearing out at 12500 miles and bike just out of warranty.
Fortunately, my dealer was made aware of internet concerns and they negotiated a free replacement, although I did pay for the labour costs (about £50). The new unit has a drain plug.

Just had a response from BMW's tame PR company.

I twittered about the number of fd failures to @BMWMotorrad and they responded quickly by putting me in touch with their PR company.

Nothing much happened until today when I twittered again about the lack of response and ...... got an email just now. Coincidence or "the power of Twitter"

Here's the response:

Hi Ian,

The R 1200 GS is the best-selling motorcycle over 500cc in the world, selling on average 20-25,000 units a year to generally satisfied customers. Whilst any single problem that a BMW customer experiences is one too many, unfortunately problems do occasionally occur. Whilst it is of little comfort to those customers that have experienced problems with their final drives, the actual occurrence ratio is very low and a vast majority of R 1200 GS riders have not experienced any faults at all.

Should a customer notice a problem with the final drive on their GS then they should take it to their local BMW Dealer who will deal with as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Kind regards,
Scott

If you are on Twitter and you want to ask BMW about it just copy/paste this into your Twitter box:

@BMWMotorrad #fd_failures Hi, I've a problem with the final drive on my R1200GS. Can you help?

See what response you get.

Well the poll on this site indicated that very low number to be about 17%, so this equates to 4250 every year - not what I would call low!

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244486&highlight=exploded

I know I have moaned a lot, but I have seen several other people appear on this forum in the last week or so, all considering a GS but expressing concern about this very problem.

Doubt BMW give a stuff about the 150,000 or so people who they have already fleeced, only the thought of those 25,000 units a year ending up sat unsold in a warehouse will get them to do anything about it.

The new unit has a breather in the diff casing, to stop the pressure build up in the diff which was the cause of the problem according to BMW.
It is easy to spot the updated diff,by looking ontop of the diff casing and infront of the brake caliper,you will see the breather with a rubbercover over it.

Well I've just been out to the garage and even plugged the handlamp in and there are no signs of a breather or rubber. :eek:

2010 GSA Reg. April 3rd

Back
Top Bottom