Final Drive Failure Register

With it being such a small minority BMW should easily be able to cover them all as a measure of goodwill then :thumb

As to buying a Honda, would have been OK if I hadn't ridden the damn thing, I was told:

A: Don't buy one
B: Don't ride one - or you will buy one

Failed at B :confused:

Failed at B :confused:

Same here, went in to buy a second hand 1150, "Try a test ride on this 2010 GSA Stretch", no, no, "Have you got your driving licence" no, no, "Well it doesen't matter, just write you address on this piece of paper" oh go on then said Stretch.
"It's got plenty of petrol in it but here is another £20 in case you want to go further".

Came out ordering a new all singing/dancing GSA a Blonde one :blast

Best regards Stretch :comfort

Rasher...........go buy a Honda

And they don't have problems?

Plenty of people on here have had Honda problems. From Fireblades and CBR600's bursting into flames when the voltage regulators go up, wonky head stocks and dissolving paint and ally.

Get real fella.

First FD failure on my 2007 R1200GS was at 30.000 km. Complete FD was changed under warranty.
Second FD failure was on 55.000 km in less than a year. BMW dealer won't change/repair it under warranty. I did it myself.
Third FD failure at 80.000 km. I should repair it one of these days.

can it be a bad carma?

Plenty of people on here have had Honda problems. From Fireblades and CBR600's bursting into flames when the voltage regulators go up, wonky head stocks and dissolving paint and ally.

Get real fella.

My last bike had its faults, as do most, even the mighty Honda have had issues, but I don't think a shaft drive that costs over then times the price of a chain should have a typically similar life.

Most manufacturer's would also recall or at least replace beyond the warranty period or offer significant goodwill reductions, or some sort of refurb exchange and should certainly of sorted the problem in much less than 6 years (and counting)

Anyway we appear to be going in circles, I do not think these failures should happen so often, and when they do BMW should take better care of their customers, if it were not for apathy and a willingness to take it up the a*** from owners the world over it probably would have been sorted.

this is the one reason stopping me from moving to a 12 from my beloved 1150:) mine went pop at 18k :(

£70 in parts and 1.5 hours work job done:D:D:D:D:D now at 40k:beerjug: every fd oil change it come's out golden and crystal clear

that i can live with:thumb2

1150 went at about 90k
1200 about 80k.

In both cases the oil was changed every 12,000. In both cases the crownwheel bearings were fine but the pinon bearings were shot.

Replacing just the pinion bearings fixed the problem but is a nightmare of a job

It's not possible to check these bearings without dropping the FD and wiggling the input shaft. Any lateral play means the bearings are on their way out, plus the oil starts to stink and becomes black as it's full of iron from the needle rollers.

These FD's are WEAK and I seriously doubt few bikes will get far past 100k without a problem. I do not understand why BMW do not redesign the FD as it would be so simple to beef up.

I might need to be added to the list.:(

Do I feel a muppet

Going to work the other day when pulling away in 1st there was hell of a clatter from down below when releasing the clutch, same again at first junction so turned round and took bike home. Tried again in the afternoon, same again, so called BMW, bike was picked up and taken away within the hour (it's only 5 weeks old). The dealership phoned today to say no fault found, any noise it was making is common, all bearings checked okay. It's only done 1700 miles and hasn't made these noises before, why now?

I thought at first it was clutch but re thought it might have been the f d, I just don't know, anyone any idea's?

You say that.mine has started clunking about changing gear.

Mine up at vines.for a final drive

my one is a 07 adv feels like the fd is on its way out its all ready had 4 fuel sensors.its on its 3rd battery and now its running like a shed at the
bottom end all this in 17,800 miles.NOT HAPPY:mad:

Add 2 !! Yup 2 !! 2008 GSA.

Taken in to local dealer prior to my Alaska trip at 3,500 miles in April 2009. To their credit dealer phoned and said there was some play in FD and they weren't happy with it...

Fixed under warranty.

Bike's in for a service at 22,000 miles. Told them I was off to Magadan next April and could they give it a service with that in mind.

Had the call today to say the FD bearing and rear suspension needs replacing and they'll sort them for me thanks to the extended warranty...

Thank heavens for extended warranties

Don't complain, you will upset all the delicate blinkered bods on this forum.

Just get out your wallet and hand Mr B another £1500 :thumb2

Don't complain, you will upset all the delicate blinkered bods on this forum.

Just get out your wallet and hand Mr B another £1500 :thumb2

Do you ever read any post properly ? :augie

1) I can't see any complaint in my post - just facts and

2) "Thank heavens for extended warranties" is pretty clear to me ! Where does me paying £1500 come in to it ?

Or would you like it in another language... :blast

Sorry, I was refering to the unhappy chaps post.

Sure am glad to know the FD is covered by the extended warranty, ticks of one of the questions I have been unable to resolve.

I also thought it was quite hard to be sure that an FD is on it's way out until it is too late, though 2 FD's in 22k is pretty shocking most modern O-Ring chains last longer.

Sorry, I was refering to the unhappy chaps post.

Sure am glad to know the FD is covered by the extended warranty, ticks of one of the questions I have been unable to resolve.

I also thought it was quite hard to be sure that an FD is on it's way out until it is too late, though 2 FD's in 22k is pretty shocking most modern O-Ring chains last longer.

Understand...

Local dealer has been great on these and other issues... I'll find out what signs they saw this time and post... Last time, on FD, it was a bit of "play" when they attempted to move the wheel laterally that caused the concern...
:beerjug:

If my reading of info on this forum is correct (highly unlikely) there are two possible failures.

The big bearing where wheel wobble is detected and can also be checked for by removing seal with wheel off and looking at bearing for signs of wear.

And the smaller roller bearing which needs FD off to check and is on it's way out of the drive thingy sticking out of the FD has any play.

I assume it is possible to check both on one service, but for them to deteriorate and fail in under the 6k until the next one, so worth checking a few weeks before any long trips.

Back
Top Bottom